PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Audio FrankenHex's

MrBill2U
07-02-2004, 03:48 PM
I am the guy that keeps blowing diamond audio tweeters. Over and over again. I actually have been thinking lately that I am not blowing them, rather there are some odd defects that are giving me pops on certain transients. This things sound great on most songs, but on some I hear a bit of static.

I have decided to begin the mix and match game. The Daimond Audio soft dome tweeters are coming out and I am putting a pair of Peerless 812687's up front. I have the room and they have the same sensitivity as the DA's, but 50% higher power handling capabilities and a much lower fs. I'll let you all know how my gene splicing experiment works ;)

btw, I got lucky. My brother just started work at a machine shop and he is custom fabbing a set of 1/4 inch aluminum plates for my 5.25s and my 6.5s. Those will be going in with the new tweets next weekend.

Any thoughts on the mismatching of comps?

MrBill2U
07-08-2004, 05:40 PM
:(

I just realized that Diamond crossovers are zobel matched to their tweeters. Looks like I'll just get another pair of Hex tweets and see how long they last.

Jesse98
07-13-2004, 01:49 PM
you should contact Diamond with your problem, they are very helpful and easy to work with, blew the dustcap off one of my subs over a year after owning it, sent it to them they sent me a brand new one.

adam71
07-13-2004, 05:19 PM
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

adam71
07-13-2004, 05:20 PM
:(

I just realized that Diamond crossovers are zobel matched to their tweeters.

What exactly does that mean?

MrBill2U
07-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Zobel networks are a resistor/inductor circuit after the crossover section that impedence match a speaker over a particular range. When you look at speaker response graphs you see that right at the resonant frequensy of the driver it jumps from like 4 ohms to as high as 16 ohms sometimes? well that plays havoc on crossovers because they are expecting to see 4 ohms. The zobel network takes that spike out so the crossover doesn't give freaky response there.

The problem is that the diamond audio tweet has a different resonance frequency than the new tweets, so that zobel network will be tuned to the wrong frequency :/