PDA

View Full Version : Three Subs, One Box

djXternal
07-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Hey Got A Few Questions...

I'm Getting 1 12" XXX
And Am Wondering If I Also Get 2 8" RE
If That Would Pretty Much Take Care Of "High" Lows And "Low" Lows, I Listen To techno A Lot And Some Of There Bass Isn't Real Low, And My Mids Inside My Car Don't Take Them Very Well Without Distortion

That Was The First Question If Those Three Would Free Up My Mids From Trying The Lows. And My Second Question Is If I Get All Three, Then The Suggested Volume For The...

12" XXX = 0.8 cuft sealed
8" RE = 0.217 cuft sealed

Would The Volume For This Box Be 1.234 cuft sealed??? Or Would I Need To Make Seperate Boxes For All Three?

violator5spd
07-02-2004, 03:39 PM
I suppose it would be possible to make one box for all 3 subs...but it would be one funky looking, complicated box. Plus, that's not what you want to do.

Personally, I would just get the XXX. When you get everything installed, you can tune the amp to play how you want it to. If you have higher bass that isn't being picked up so well, you can turn the gains up a little. If you got a pair of RE 8's and placed them back with the XXX, you wouldn't even be able to hear them. They would be drowned out by the XXX. If you really want to get the 8's, it would be alot better if you could possibly place them towards the front of your car. Alot of times this isn't possible though, so that's why I suggest just getting the XXX and setting it up how you like it.

djXternal
07-02-2004, 03:56 PM
ok I'll do that then... i may get a 2nd XXX sumtime when i have some spare money, is it better to always make sperate boxes for seperate subs? or to combine them?

BayAreaNB
07-02-2004, 09:39 PM
No I wouldn't say it is always better, but when you're messing around with subs that are different size and far different power handling... I would say so. I'm not sayin it isn't possible to put the all in the same box... it would just be more complicated.

djXternal
07-02-2004, 11:06 PM
ok thanks for the help

JimJ
07-03-2004, 03:45 AM
don't do it...you're going to run into all sorts of cancellation issues with different sized subs. Trust me, the XXX will be plenty enough :D

JimJ
07-03-2004, 03:46 AM
unless they're in completely different places...like eights in kickpanels or a center console...still have to be careful though.

helotaxi
07-03-2004, 02:22 PM
The 8s would probably be damaged by the XXX if you tried to run them in the same airspace. Even if they weren't, their output would be colored by the movement of the XXX. Different size/series/brand subs should always be run in seperate enclosures and crossed over so that they don't attempt to play the same ferquencies for best results.

violator5spd
07-03-2004, 04:16 PM
The 8s would probably be damaged by the XXX if you tried to run them in the same airspace. Even if they weren't, their output would be colored by the movement of the XXX. Different size/series/brand subs should always be run in seperate enclosures and crossed over so that they don't attempt to play the same ferquencies for best results.

I think he was asking about one box with separate chambers...even if that's it, not a good idea.

Phatillusion
07-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I suppose it would be possible to make one box for all 3 subs...but it would be one funky looking, complicated box. Plus, that's not what you want to do.

Personally, I would just get the XXX. When you get everything installed, you can tune the amp to play how you want it to. If you have higher bass that isn't being picked up so well, you can turn the gains up a little. If you got a pair of RE 8's and placed them back with the XXX, you wouldn't even be able to hear them. They would be drowned out by the XXX. If you really want to get the 8's, it would be alot better if you could possibly place them towards the front of your car. Alot of times this isn't possible though, so that's why I suggest just getting the XXX and setting it up how you like it.

I disagree to a point. I thing the 8's will be an excellent choice, however one box could be done, but I'd prefer to make seperate boxes. It's possible the 8's could fit under the seats or someplace else.

saywhat?
07-03-2004, 08:57 PM
your also phatillusions........the guy with aliases

yamaha326
07-03-2004, 08:59 PM
yeah go with what phatillusion said..........................

djXternal
07-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Yea might possibly take out the back seat and put some highs, mids, and the 8's back there once i have time and money for it... currently starting a carputer project

Phatillusion
07-04-2004, 02:16 PM
your also phatillusions........the guy with aliases

And what is that supposed to mean. That I have no knowledge of car audio. I was here helping people out before you were. Just because I pull a few stunts doesn't mean I still can't help somebody out. Personally I had planned on adding a pair of 8's to my system which included 3-12" SE's, but I ended up selling my system because one it was too loud and two because I felt paying off a few bills was more important.