PDA

View Full Version : Components vs. High grade coaxials

diminishedpower
07-01-2004, 02:16 AM
Ok, i did search and what i always saw was componets are beter than cheap coaxials, But does components really sound tons better then high level coaxial(as in like 3 to 4 way), both amped? The reason i ask is because i need new speakers(just ordered my 15 xxx) for my car. And can you guys recomend some good coaxials/comps??? like i siad theyd be amped and im not worrying about bass on em because the xxx will take care of that, hehe :banghead:

NINaudio
07-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Components are almost always better. You get higher quality crossovers in them compared to coaxials. Focal makes good speakers, I like Boston Acoustics, and I'm sure some other people will give you more ideas.

jujumantb
07-01-2004, 12:57 PM
yep, its mostly in the crossover. High end coaxials with outboard crossovers can be pretty good too though. Or look into braxials (tweeter mounts in the mid like a coaxial) if you want the ease of coaxial mounting + component quality. CDT makes some.

squeak9798
07-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Being 3 or 4 way doesn't make the co-axials "high level."

Generally the comps are better; use better crossover parts/designs, the speakers are generally higher quality, etc etc. But, some manufacturer's do make some pretty high quality co-axials (Morel I think, Peerless maybe, Focal, Boston Acoustics).

Boston Acoustics also has a braxial mounting system for their Pro comps

Ne1
07-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Not to mention with a coaxial you have all the mounting hardware in the way of the woofer....might make a difference, might not of course, but if its big enough, like a triaxial or something, I'd bet it would....

boister77
07-02-2004, 04:21 AM
components give you the ability to place the mid and tweeter in different locations which can help improve your imaging.