PDA

View Full Version : speaker help

Audiophile33
07-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Ok im just beginning to seek out a future in the sound quality of car audio. Ive been lookin at some speakers and i have a great interest in the alpine spx F17t 3 way component set..........then ive been reading around the forums and most people have mentioned Focals and ive looked into them and i dont know what to get. One thing that is really bothering me is ( keep in mind that i dont know much about sound quality) ....... the upper frequency ranges ( 20 kHz + ) . When looking for sound quality , do i need to worry about those particular frequencies ? Ive read that the human hearing bandwidth is between 20 -20kHz, but then Ive talked to this guy that is into sound quality and has been in competitions and he told me from 28kHz - 33kHz , he is only missing only a few Hz ( he told me this as he was demonstrating his system ) . So i guess my main question is, are those upper frequencies important when buying speakers for sound quality ? Do i need to find a set of components capable of those frequencies ?

NINaudio
07-01-2004, 11:42 AM
IMO Focals are better than Alpine any day. Most people can't hear above 20kHz. From listening to test cd's I know that I can't hear frequencies above 17kHz, everyone's hearing is different, but I honestly wouldn't worry about finding something above 20kHz.

3.5Max6spd
07-01-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry but 28K-33k is just plain painful......Any soft dome component set capable of 20k can/has won plenty of SQ competitions