PDA

View Full Version : snail shell enclosure question

GreenLantern747
06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
ok, i'm thinking about building my box for my 2 type r 10's, and i'm considering doing a snail shell design. my question is should i make two enclosure's for each sub, and make it look like a single box, basically a box with a divider. or should i just make this a single box for both subs?

GL

InhumanAcura
06-28-2004, 08:13 PM
How are you going to come up with the schematics for the SS? You making a fakeshell.

violator5spd
06-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Yeah, Inhumans right. Unless you know someone who has made a good sounding snailshell box before, odds are it won't turn out good. Now, don't let me discourage you out of trying it, but I just wouldn't expect out of this world results. You'd be better off making a ported box that will come out as expected, and then maybe give a snailshell a shot and see what happens.

DirtySchemer
06-28-2004, 09:31 PM
I'd recommend putting them in the same enclosure. Otherwise it's likely that they won't be tuned the same, given how SS are less an science and more an art.

I hope you have a lot of space, and a hefty engine to pull that box around though. The things are VERY large and VERY heavy.

GreenLantern747
06-28-2004, 10:59 PM
How are you going to come up with the schematics for the SS? You making a fakeshell.

how could you make a fake? after playing around with the number, measureing, and calculateing for almost 4 hours, and trying to cheap space out of the floor and wheel well area, we have come to the conclusion its just not gonna work. however if i ever want to delete my rear seats, i could go head and try this one. oh well, back to the ported box designs.... thanks though guys...

InHuman... figured out how to calcuate this after a friend and i sat down, drew the box, thought about it ... we didn't make one but we figured out a way to calculate the size of the port, or opening whatever... took us like an hour to figure out the dimensions, and then 3 hours realizing it was kinda a waste... either the sealed box is staying and getting rebuilt, or i'm going ported, hopefully ready for a comp sometime soon as i'm very disappointed with my last results...

GL

InhumanAcura
06-28-2004, 11:36 PM
how could you make a fake? after playing around with the number, measureing, and calculateing for almost 4 hours, and trying to cheap space out of the floor and wheel well area, we have come to the conclusion its just not gonna work. however if i ever want to delete my rear seats, i could go head and try this one. oh well, back to the ported box designs.... thanks though guys...

InHuman... figured out how to calcuate this after a friend and i sat down, drew the box, thought about it ... we didn't make one but we figured out a way to calculate the size of the port, or opening whatever... took us like an hour to figure out the dimensions, and then 3 hours realizing it was kinda a waste... either the sealed box is staying and getting rebuilt, or i'm going ported, hopefully ready for a comp sometime soon as i'm very disappointed with my last results...

GL

So one day you want to know the audible difference when inverting subs...And now you and a friend have figured out how to build a SS. (Something not many have done, seriously its a fakeshell)

GreenLantern747
06-29-2004, 11:16 PM
seriously, what is a fakeshell? we had this designed out to have the L shaped open port... i'm not trying to say that it was right... but every theroy we could come up with worked... the port was the same size the entire length.... i'm confused, why is this such a hard box to figure out? we used a combination of good ol geometry learnin, some help from winisd, paper and pencil.... i don't know how can just say its a fake. anyways, besides the point seeing as im' not going with this style of box.

GL