PDA

View Full Version : XXX enclosure

the_flatlander
06-28-2004, 02:11 AM
I've been throwing around ideas for boxes and one of them was a 12" XXX in a 3' cubed fiberglass enclosure tuned to 30hz. Would the XXX perform better in a fiberglass or mdf enclosure?

supa_c
06-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Mdf is way better. fiberglass will sound pingy if built to thin, you can always combine the 2(which i will be doing eventually)

gunny86
06-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Mdf is way better. fiberglass will sound pingy if built to thin, you can always combine the 2(which i will be doing eventually)

How will it sound pingy? if it is built right it will make no difference. I have seen tons of custom fiberglass only installs and they all sound fine, many compete is SPL and many compete in SQ, ive never heard anyone say it make a difference before so could you clarify the difference in sound it will make?

Gauntlet
06-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Properly built MDF vs. properly built fiberglass = no difference
Properly built MDF vs. improperly built fiberglass (or vice versa) = difference.

JimJ
06-28-2004, 05:26 PM
there are plenty of ****** MDF installs out there, lol...

InhumanAcura
06-28-2004, 05:49 PM
How many SPL installs do you see using fiberglass (for an enclosure)?

violator5spd
06-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Forget fiberglass, your XXX deserves a well-built 1" MDF box :clap:

gunny86
06-29-2004, 12:18 PM
well it depends what class of SPL you are in, if your for nothing but spl and you have a van and thats all its for is spl then yeah you have a huge wall made of mdf, but i have seen plenty of spl cars, trucks and suvs with fiberglass boxes for spl.

smullen
06-29-2004, 03:10 PM
IMHO..

If its properly built (Correct size, Strong no flexing or leaks) will sound good with either MDF or Fiberglass..

If it Flexes or leaks you will loose SPL and may hear some vibrations or other noises...

In most cases you can build a Fiberglass box to be as strong and sound as good and look way better than MDF...

It just depends on the application....

If you are doing one or even a few Subs, I'd say Fiberglass is cool, if you are doing a whole wall for massive SPL; It would be a whole lot easier to do it with MDF...

Maybe make some Fiberglass parts to trim it or give it some contour...

Either way, it can be done... You just have to look at the whole Effort vs. Result thing..

mikescanlon
09-28-2005, 08:04 PM
lets think about it this way... fiberglass makes boats.. mdf even if waterproof would never make a boat.. boats take a hell of a beating from the water.

proper fiberglass has 6 times the stength of steel of the same weight.