PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Thickness

SprintCarCowboy
06-21-2004, 08:31 AM
When building a box for one 6x9 speaker how thick should all of the laminations end up being? Also, it is better to build up the thickness of a fiberglass box using Fiberglass Matting or cloth?

Thanks,

Joe

btnhfan
06-21-2004, 08:11 PM
i think 3-4 layers should be fine. you want it to be really strong. i would use cloth.

swimfreak26
06-22-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm at 3 layers in the front and 4 in the back of the box that I am building right now for my 6x9's and it's feeling really quite solid, but if I get around to finishing it I'll let you know how it sounds.

ramos
06-22-2004, 12:38 PM
On the contrary, I use mat to laminate. Mat builds Thickness quicker than cloth. I would do three layers, two mat then top it off with a layer of cloth. Using a 3-5oz weight mat :)

helotaxi
06-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Depends on the weight of the mat and cloth. There are thick and thin versions of each.

SprintCarCowboy
06-22-2004, 11:13 PM
OK, let me try this again. Since no one seems to have read my question. HOW THICK SHOULD THE FIBERGLASS END UP BEING? I dont care if it takes twenty laminations of 2oz cloth or 2 layers of 100oz cloth. I want to know how thick the overall wall thickness of the end product should be.

Joe

TPABlazer
06-23-2004, 01:42 AM
OVERALL THICKNESS IS A VARIABLE DEPNDING ON THE BOX, ITS NECESARY STRENGTH, AND THICKNESS OF MATTE USED.

curves will yield more strength than flat surfaces, and curves with 2 layers of regular home depot matte should be enough for 6x9s, flat surfaces will require much more... there is no thickness thats a uniform measurment, if its strong enough after 2 layers (however thick it is) then its done.

ramos
06-23-2004, 08:06 AM
I read your question fully and understand it. What your not understanding is the fact that

IT DEPENDS ON THE WEIGHT OF THE MAT AND OR CLOTH YOU ARE USING. There are many different weights and types of mat. Each has there strongpoints, and weak points. Without knowing what weight and kind you are using. No one can answer your question correctly. That's why I gave a lamination count with the weight of the mat I would use. :)

ramos
06-23-2004, 08:09 AM
You want me to really blow your mind. You can do it with one layer of 17 oz. kyntex biaxial. Soak it with resin properly. And it will be stronger than you ever need. Now if you use lighter mat it's going to take more layers. See what we are getting at ? :)