PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU make your subwoofer holes?

tropicaltornado
06-20-2004, 01:47 AM
I just recently made a box for my sister and making the 15" hole was hard as hell. Whats the most effective ,easiest way to make a hole?

Moe Lester
06-20-2004, 01:48 AM
I just recently made a box for my sister and making the 15" hole was hard as hell. Whats the most effective ,easiest way to make a hole?

Jigsaw works well for me... I can cut a pretty **** good circle with one. Lots of people like a router with a circle jig also.

jleecong
06-20-2004, 01:54 AM
I second jigsaw.

sumone
06-20-2004, 03:04 AM
Jigsaw works well for me... I can cut a pretty **** good circle with one.

...I can't.

I could never color inside the lines so I guess I'm just struck

tropicaltornado
06-20-2004, 03:41 AM
No I meant how do you make the circle?Its **** hard to make a perfect circle.I used a router.

desi_daru
06-20-2004, 03:58 AM
doesnt have to be a PERFECT hole to throw the sub in, cut it out and see if it needs somte trimming here and there, jus long as hole is not 2 big ur good 2 go

smullen
06-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Jasper Circle Jigs for my Porter Cable router... Perfect circles from like 3" to 18" Every time...

http://www.vernk.net/images/CenteringRings/CircleCutterJig.jpg

and

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/jasperaudio/images/japser_audio_model_400_large.jpg

violator5spd
06-20-2004, 09:14 AM
My grandpa has a workshop at his house so that's usually where I make a box. He has a huge compass to draw the circle with, then I drill 8 holes around the edge of the circle and then cut it out with a jigsaw. Most of the time the hole is too small and I have to use a drum sander to make it big enough...but as long as it's not TOO big them I'm all smiles.

helotaxi
06-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Jasper circle jig and a plunge router. Match made in heaven.

Radar
06-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Jigsaw and and alot of cussing.

Strecker25
06-20-2004, 01:06 PM
CNC Machine..lol luxurys of my dad owning a shop. Also rotozip with a cirle tool, then use a good set of mics to get it to the right cutout diameter works well

yamaha326
06-20-2004, 01:11 PM
jigsaw..................

TPABlazer
06-20-2004, 06:24 PM
jigsaw the rough cut then router the edge down with a template

negativezeroz
06-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Radar is right on..lol....well actually im glad someone started this forum cuz im making my first box this week and was going to start a forum/thread about this subject so thanks........about howmuch did the jasper circle jig cost? lik a couple bucks?

Ricktc
06-20-2004, 09:44 PM
I use a jigsaw all the time. Can't use a router and circle jig to make square holes, heheh. Actually you probably can but anyways jigsaw works well for me, even circle holes, and I am pretty good at it, never had a huge mishap yet or any fitment problems.

-Rick

smullen
06-20-2004, 10:00 PM
jigsaw the rough cut then router the edge down with a template
If you are gonna use a jig saw then a router, you might as well do it all with a router, save steps...

smullen
06-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Radar is right on..lol....well actually im glad someone started this forum cuz im making my first box this week and was going to start a forum/thread about this subject so thanks........about howmuch did the jasper circle jig cost? lik a couple bucks?
You can get them as low as 29.99 and as high as 49.00 for a two pack of them....

Some people say its way too expensive, but after you have used one, I don't think you'd say that...

I mean a decent router will cut the MDF or Plexi way smoother than a jig saw or something else and with the jig, its so much faster and easier...

You can't mess up a circle with this jig, you set it on the size you want and that all it can do....

if you messed up just a few peices of MDF or PLexi, that would cost you mre than the Jig... Not to mention the time, you wasted...

I thought it was a bit expensive too, then I said Fock it and ordered it... I'm glad I did... If mine broke today, I'd order another one...

only cut circles like once a year, I guess you don't need it, but if you do it often, it rocks..

TPABlazer
06-23-2004, 01:50 AM
If you are gonna use a jig saw then a router, you might as well do it all with a router, save steps...

I chos enot to save steps after a piece slipped out of my hands..the inside like 10 inches of wood broke apart and hit me in the gut when the whole thing slipped. I'll take not having that happen. Besides, its so much less strain on the bits and the router to only have to flush cut, not cut the 1/2 inch of wood in front of it.

smullen
06-23-2004, 01:56 AM
OK...

I have never had a problem... I put down a ""Sacrificial"" peice of MDF that I route into when I go through the part I'm working on and cut out my circles...

but, Whatever way works best for you.... Sounds like you found it...

TPABlazer
06-23-2004, 11:12 AM
OK...

I have never had a problem... I put down a ""Sacrificial"" peice of MDF that I route into when I go through the part I'm working on and cut out my circles...

but, Whatever way works best for you.... Sounds like you found it...
yeah its just an extra 10 minutes, after that eperience I'll sacrifice

linksyz
06-23-2004, 02:57 PM
dont you guys think we need a sticky about building a BOX? theres one on fiberglassing and kick panels, but i dont see a box building sticky in box construction forum :)