PDA

View Full Version : Paint?

Jim Boom
06-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Some people suggested that I paint my box, I was wondering what kind of paint and if there was anything you had to put on the box before the paint for it to bew a good paint job, anyone out there know? oh yeah I plant on painting the box red and the inside of port black.

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=3705&password=ac46f07301024f07ad85f727b73b8e3e&sort=1&cat=503&page=1

ramos
06-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Prime that sucker like you would anything else. Then get to painting. Killz works really well for mdf. Use a coat or two then sand baby butt smooth. Then paint it what ever color you want. You can use automotive paint and shoot it on. Or they are making some decent quality paints in cans now a days. :)

Strecker25
06-17-2004, 01:11 PM
i cover my boxes with a thin coat of resin and sand it real smooth before priming, probably not all that necessary but thats my own thing i guess

boister77
06-17-2004, 01:16 PM
forget the paint and go with a truck bed liner spray. don't use the diy spray can, those are crap. i used line-x and it cost about $40. a bit pricey, but it's more durable and looks better than paint imao.

ramos
06-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Depends on who is doing the painting I guess. Getting a good paint job is like building a pyramid, with out all the prep work on the bottom it's gonna fall or in a paint jobs case look like poo-poo :)

Jim Boom
06-17-2004, 05:15 PM
So two coats of primer, sand it and then paint, in the lounge where I posted this some guy said something about gloss?

smullen
06-17-2004, 05:41 PM
i cover my boxes with a thin coat of resin and sand it real smooth before priming, probably not all that necessary but thats my own thing i guess

I agree with Strecker25... If you are looking to get the shiney smooth paint finish like your cars exterior, I'd cover it with a few coats of resin, then sand smooth... Prime or use Primer filler is you have a lot of pinholes or other imperfections...

Then go to an automotive paint store and get some decent paint and clear coat... If you don't have an air compresser and spray gun, They can now put high quality paint in an areosol can like how the cheap crap at the hardware stores, but its the good quality paint...

Jim Boom
06-17-2004, 05:50 PM
so how much money are we talkin here?

smullen
06-17-2004, 07:53 PM
So two coats of primer, sand it and then paint, in the lounge where I posted this some guy said something about gloss?
I would think he was refering to Clear cloat with Gloss... Maybe not, there are 100s of ways to skin a cat...

smullen
06-17-2004, 07:54 PM
so how much money are we talkin here?
60-80 Bucks for everything, it adds up...

Jim Boom
06-17-2004, 10:13 PM
holy crap I dunno bout that Im a cheep cheepo

Strecker25
06-17-2004, 10:46 PM
i get resin at home depot for like 10, plus like 3 or 4 1$ brushes real cheap, some sandpaper if u dont have any layin around which i always do is only like 5$ then i use pep boys spray paint put on a bunch of coats and actually wetsand and wax it to a high gloss finish. at 5$ a can its a good deal i usually come out around 30-40 sometime up to 50. But yes it definetly adds up

xchaosx
06-18-2004, 07:07 AM
i use spray on bondo to smooth everything out 50$ a gallon. sand that smooth with 320 grit no lower paint and prime fill the sand marks of 320. prime 2 time put your color on 3-5 coat if it looks good at 3 let it ride and 3 coats of clear coat .
red costs the most out of any color.
i have all the guns to shoot you may not if you know a body shop i would have them do the clear with a good gun it will look better but you can use rattle cans to do the rest

ramos
06-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Hey fellow cheapo :D Take some scrap of what ever kind of wood you used to build your box. buy yourself a quart of killz primer / stain blocker $ 5 - $6 and will do the whole box , paint it on pretty thick and let it dry. Sand it smooth. and if necessary put another coat on and repeat the sanding. Then spray it with some duplicolor. Your not going to be entering any show comps anytime are ya ? Then why go to all the trouble and money of finishing your enclosure like you are ? As always though this is MHO :)

smullen
06-18-2004, 10:57 AM
i use spray on bondo to smooth everything out 50$ a gallon. sand that smooth with 320 grit no lower paint and prime fill the sand marks of 320. prime 2 time put your color on 3-5 coat if it looks good at 3 let it ride and 3 coats of clear coat .
red costs the most out of any color.
i have all the guns to shoot you may not if you know a body shop i would have them do the clear with a good gun it will look better but you can use rattle cans to do the rest
Where do you get the spay bondo or spay filler at??? What type of gun do you spray it out of???

Does it go very far? as far as coverage?

smullen
06-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Your not going to be entering any show comps anytime are ya ? Then why go to all the trouble and money of finishing your enclosure like you are ? As always though this is MHO :)
Yea, you could look at it like that...

Some people just put a lot of pride into their projects and want them to be the best they can....

If I didn't really care that much I'd just carpet it or use bedliner spay and be done...

That or not do anything custom, just do a prefab/ABC box and drop it in...

A lot of us have been doing this stuff for awhile and want to take our installs to the next level... You know kinda as a hobby or a sport, see how good you really can make something...

Although, I do like to save money though as I don't always have enough to do it theway I want it; which is why it takes me so long to do something....

I guess its all about what you want to get out of it in the end...

I want to get my installs good enough to be in a magazine like Car Audio, Auto Sound an Sec, or Mobile Electronics... Just a personal goal...

Jim Boom
06-18-2004, 02:55 PM
So theres no way I can cheap my way outa this and still look good. I think Ill do some tests with different stuff on the leftover wood.

maylar
06-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Stick with rattle-can paints like Krylon. You won't get the ultimate finish, but it'll be affordable and give you decent results. Automotive Urethane paints are the way to get the best results, but a pint of mixed paint plus hardeners and reducers can easily cost over $100.

Or... if you're in Connecticut, bring it to me and we'll paint the ho' and have a few beers.
:)