PDA

View Full Version : Shared space or seperated space for an enclosure?

Ne1
06-14-2004, 12:25 PM
I have recently gotten a 1996 328is, and after doing the measuerments in the trunk I have come up with a box that will yield roughly 1.5 cubic feet per sub (2 subs) in a seperate chamber set up, or 3 cubic feet of shared space. Now my question is, which would sound better? The shared space, or keeping the subs seperated? I'm going for sq and not spl on this, so the answer would relate more along those lines.
The subs are 2 12" mmats pro series btw.
Thanks!

Jesse98
06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
normally you want seperate chambers, in one chamber the subs kinda work against each other, so Id say seperate chambers, not sure wich it effects more though sq or spl.

supraman1379
06-14-2004, 09:17 PM
i would put them in sperate chambers i think they sound better. It makes it like the subs are tryin to cancel each other out if its in the same chamber. or at least thats what it sounds like to me

Jesse98
06-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Go with separate chambers ... It doesn't make much of a sound quality difference if done properly. Using a separation acts as a brace, for one. Two, it allows you to run just one sub. With a shared chamber, you NEED two subs.
If I wasnt lazy id dig up proof, but I think you are wrong, would like to find actual proof that shows what the waves inside the box do but I am lazy for now so if anyone else is up to it go for it. I think it does make a difference esecially the smaller box you have.