PDA

View Full Version : Aperiodic or Sealed? What material?

jtsai1
06-12-2004, 07:38 PM
For a SQ system...what's best? An aperiodic or sealed enclosure? Or other? I heard that aperiodic (aperiodic membrane) is the best for SQ but I've never heard one and it seems that no one really has one. Anybody?

And what material is best? If wood, what kind?

Sorry for these questions, they seem real dumb, but I'm a construction newb.

Thanks for any help guys

btnhfan
06-12-2004, 07:42 PM
what is aperiodic?

btnhfan
06-12-2004, 11:43 PM
thanks. can someone post of pic of this aperiodic in an actual car setup?

DARKHART
06-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Audionutz has a very informative site on this subject with pictures and how too info. :D :D :D

DBfan187
06-13-2004, 01:34 PM
P4S guys's 6.5s box uses an Areopedic Membrane.

www.powered4sound.com (http://www.powered4sound.com)

DARKHART
06-13-2004, 03:26 PM

Are you sure about that, because "ap" style boxes are terrible at spl applications and are geared more for sq due to the incredible control over the driver. That dual 6.5 box was WAY to huge for an "ap" setup. With an aperiodic the enclosure needs only be large enough for the driver to fit in and give at least 1/2" clearance from the back of the driver to the rear wall, as well as the front of the driver MUST remain in a seperate space or compartment as the back or else you will get cancellation.

DARKHART
06-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Audionutz has a very informative site on this subject with pictures and how too info. :D :D :D
Here's the link to that site........

www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18

Good reading,,enjoy.... :D :D :D

DBfan187
06-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Are you sure about that, because "ap" style boxes are terrible at spl applications and are geared more for sq due to the incredible control over the driver. That dual 6.5 box was WAY to huge for an "ap" setup. With an aperiodic the enclosure needs only be large enough for the driver to fit in and give at least 1/2" clearance from the back of the driver to the rear wall, as well as the front of the driver MUST remain in a seperate space or compartment as the back or else you will get cancellation.
They even say so in their forums!

DARKHART
06-13-2004, 04:39 PM
They even say so in their forums!
I've never been on their forum so I don't know also I'm not saying that they are not I'm just saying that those boxes are way too big for aperiodic applications and they defeat the purpose of the aperiodic design. I may be wrong and they may have found a way to use it for spl but I'm wonderring if they may be lying on those forums to deliberatly through people off course....
Have you read the article by Audionutz, I've posted the link. Read over it if you haven't and tell me if you still think those big boxes use aperiodic membranes.... :D :D :D

DARKHART
06-13-2004, 07:14 PM

O.K. I just finished reading a couple of the posts on that forum and you are right, they do say that they use an aperiodic membrane inside their boxes. The way they are talking about is far different from building a straight aperiodic enclosure though. Best I can tell is that they have built an enclosure inside an enclosure and the enclosure with the sub physically in it is using and ap mat on it to cut down on required internal volume needed, then it's coupled to a transmission or snailshell style of enclosure of some sort. Pretty neat ideal if I must say so. They've effectivelly cut down the size greatly compared to what otherwise would be a mega huge box. I still think that for the amount of work required to design and build it you'd be better off going the conventional route with 10-15" subs.

supraman1379
06-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Sealed boxes are definately better for sound quality. And MDF (medium density fiberboard) is the best wood for this

DBfan187
06-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Sealed boxes are definately better for sound quality. And MDF (medium density fiberboard) is the best wood for this
That's your opinion. A low tuned, ported/vented enclosure can yeild the same, maybe better results!