PDA

View Full Version : Need help with car audio system upgrade. New to the site and posting.

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 01:06 AM
Okay, to start out with a guess I should put the budget I have currently. 1000.00 dollars.
I own a 2003 Chevy Impala 3.4L V6 (Nothing in the trunk besides what I have now, so plenty of room for new) As far as I know everything electrical is stock.

Next for what I currently have:
Alpine CDE-141 Head Unit.
2' 12inch Sony GS SVC (XS-GS120L) in a ported box.(not sure of the box dimensions)
1 Sony Xplod 1100W Class D Mono Amp (XM-ZZR3301).
All other speakers are stock.

I would like to try and stay away from upgrading my alternator and batteries and what not, since i dont plan on having this car for more then 5 years from now.

I'm not trying to get into competitions or anything of that nature, but i want a good balance between SQ and SPL. Basically i want to turn heads before people see me coming and it doesnt sound like **** inside the car. =p
If i put this in the wrong spot, I apologize.
I wont be installing these myself either since I'm a noob at car audio.

basswiigee
04-22-2014, 12:04 PM
dont run that stuff is best advice the subs and amp are not good at all.... for a 1000 dollars id go... i go two new hdc4 12's and a used 3500.... and that ish slams.. grab two of the 50.00 batts on here from michaellane; toss em in trunk... bam around a 1000 and will knock whoevers face off that gets in the ride!! lol

michaellane
04-22-2014, 12:14 PM
He is right. Or do a little less power. But for the price my batteries cannot be beat period.

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm not quite sure what hdc4s are. Or all the stuff you would need for extra batteries. I'm pretty nooby at car audio that's why I got talked into buying this package from my local car audio store last year.

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 12:57 PM
I just looked them up on Google. They sure are nice. Seems like they aren't avaible anywhere though. Anymore suggestions? The 1000.00 will be used for subs amp and box. Possibly some new door speakers since mine are about to croak . Thanks

mylows10
04-22-2014, 01:00 PM
There's many choices for amps and subs here on the forum used and new from dealers vendors and reps 2000 rms and under will be fine with nothing more than a big 3 kit and a agm battery under the hood in most cases

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 01:04 PM
I know. It's almost over whelming since I don't really know what to get and what to avoid and what I'll need to get for this setup and that setup lol.

hispls
04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
dont run that stuff is best advice the subs and amp are not good at all.... for a 1000 dollars id go... i go two new hdc4 12's and a used 3500.... and that ish slams.. grab two of the 50.00 batts on here from michaellane; toss em in trunk... bam around a 1000 and will knock whoevers face off that gets in the ride!! lol

Implying he won't spend 100$ in wiring and terminals and such and he can get a box to do them justice for under 250$... AND implying that those Chinese kids can produce a new run of those subs any time soon.

I just looked them up on Google. They sure are nice. Seems like they aren't avaible anywhere though. Anymore suggestions? The 1000.00 will be used for subs amp and box. Possibly some new door speakers since mine are about to croak . Thanks

Definitely replace your fronts first. There's a million good options for amp and sub that'll come in under your budget but you MUST provide for a good box. That will make or break your results.

Ohio is really huge for car audio competitions. I'd suggest if you went to a few you could see some real builds in person and very likely find some great deals on equipment from locals The sort of guys that are regulars at those shows change gear like you change your drawers. Shipping on subs/box will be horrific but if you can find them nearby and verify quality and working condition you'll be way ahead of the game in the bang/buck department.

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Ya I wasn't planning on bothering with any of the speakers besides the front, but thanks all for the info so far. If you still have recommendations. Keep up coming . I trust you guys more then myself or a dealer.

mylows10
04-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Ya I wasn't planning on bothering with any of the speakers besides the front, but thanks all for the info so far. If you still have recommendations. Keep up coming . I trust you guys more then myself or a dealer.

Well some of us are dealers and or reps like myself but live the hobby aspect or even compete or judge at shows. Like I said a pair of good 12s in the trunk a 2000 rms amp. Big 3 kit 0 gauge wire and agm battery under the hood. Some decent front components and amp them to $1000 might be pushing it a bit tho. The subs box amps and decent components new will put you in the $1100 range already then you still need wires battery and an amp for the doors. Which will put you at another $500. So maybe do a little at a time to start

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 06:10 PM
What do you mean by big 3 kit and agm battery? Sorry if these questions are dumb. I'd just like to get the sub(s) amp and box setup soon .

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 06:11 PM
***** though since the well known dealer for my area mostly only carriers the over priced brands.

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 06:22 PM
From what I have been looking at I really like audioque and sundown subs.

mylows10
04-22-2014, 06:52 PM
From what I have been looking at I really like audioque and sundown subs.

A big 3 kit adds wire to the alr to battery. Battery to block and frame to help the electrical work better the agm is a battery stronger than your stock batt There are many subs on the market. Sq and sundown aren't sq subs. Unless you look at a sundown x I think. Tantric is. Lms tc are a few sq subs to consider

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Well I'm trying to find a good median between spl and sq. Guess I'm just not sure how I'm going to get that. I just know I'm ready to get rid of what I have although I might keep the box. Since it does make these sound pretty good in my opinion since everyone says they 're junk. It must be the box helping out with that.

mylows10
04-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Are you gonna replace the amp to ? If you get a nice pair of subs amp and a nice custom box. You might be surprised and retract your statement of the sony subs sounding good

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Ok , well I'm gonna do this easier way instead of trying to do everything at once. For now I'm going to just worry about the rear part of the system. Now I don't know if I should go with spl subs or sq subs.I know I prob can't have the best of both worlds but I definitely want to annoy old ladies driving 2 blocks away sitting a stop signs for no reason. So idk if that would be a sq sub(s) or spl.

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Are you gonna replace the amp to ? If you get a nice pair of subs amp and a nice custom box. You might be surprised and retract your statement of the sony subs sounding good

Sorry didn't see your post before I posted again. **** phone. Well yes I plan on getting rid of everything I currently have except my head unit. I guess I could have cleared that up in the first place * face Palm*

mylows10
04-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Sorry didn't see your post before I posted again. **** phone. Well yes I plan on getting rid of everything I currently have except my head unit. I guess I could have cleared that up in the first place * face Palm*

Well like I said. I'm a rep and dealer. I can help you with everything. And yes there is SQL subs tantric is one of them. American has one now to the xr. But only in a 10 or 12 I could literally have you new subs and amps by fri

Motokid
04-22-2014, 09:25 PM
You could always start off with an amp. PPI 1800.1 is a good amp. It's about $210 shipped to your door. Get you a decent 0 gauge wiring kit, around $60.

Go find you a sub(s) that you can get around 500-1000 rms each if you do 2, if you do one look for something around 1000-2000.

say you spend around $350 on subs

That leaves you with around $380 to get you a custom box build, and a little extra money for maybe some more 0 gauge wire to do your bit 3 upgrade.

Basically that is what I did. My next on the Todo list is big 3 upgrade, then door speakers. Only because my door speakers are stock and i have a new car, and they sound pretty dang good, but I do want something more that I can throw on an amp..

Basially that's all you can get for about $1000. Or you can go cheap with 1 sub, and not as powering of an amp, and have enough money to get you a set up component speakers, and possibly a tiny amp. Either an PPI 800.4 or a i520.4. Ranging from arond $100-140 ish for the small amp. And the components will be around $200 for some decent ones.

That's just what i've learned! These guys here on Caraudio forums are super awesome, I've really learned alot. So take what they say and remember it, you'll go from a noob to knowing a thing or two! Generally everyone is pretty nice and willing to help, I post all the time asking questions

Goodluck!

ross.aaron2010
04-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Well like I said. I'm a rep and dealer. I can help you with everything. And yes there is SQL subs tantric is one of them. American has one now to the xr. But only in a 10 or 12 I could literally have you new subs and amps by fri

Could you pm please? I'd like discuss this with you.

mylows10
04-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Could you pm please? I'd like discuss this with you.

Pmed

What was that?
04-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Don't keep the same box. Pick your subs then have a box built or build one yourself. If you can use a saw and tape measure you might have fun building a box yourself. It is very easy to get good advice here on what size box for a particular sub. Boxes are not universal. Random pre-fab boxes only sound good crackling as fire wood to roast your marshmallow's. A slightly incorrect box can make great subs sound awful and a well built box can make awful subs sound good. I also Agee that you should start with getting a good front stage first and upgrading your electrical.

ross.aaron2010
04-23-2014, 02:53 AM
Okay so @mylows10 has come up with a pretty good setup for my substage, only problem is everything shipped is over my 1000.00 dollar budget unless the custom box is not included.
Two 12 inch XR-12D4 Subwoofers
One VFL 120.1 American Bass Amplifier
A big 3 kit and all the necessary installation wires.

So I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas or suggestions to make everything I need fall into the 1000.00 Shipped mark.