PDA

View Full Version : Question about grounding

jesse_00
04-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Hey guys, I recently bought an aftermarket stereo and am kind of confused as to what to do with the grounding wire. I know I am supposed to attach it to the chassis somehow, but I can not seem to find a spot where I can do that (1998 Passat.) Attached is a picture of my current wiring situation (right leads to HU, left leads to wire harness)

I am wondering if I can just clip and strip the right wire and solder it to the one on the left instead of attaching it to some place on the chassis. What are your suggestions?

http://i.imgur.com/m8yrHbW.jpg

winkychevelle
04-21-2014, 09:51 PM
I would connect it to the adapter ground and if that doesnt work well you may have to extend it to the frame

jesse_00
04-21-2014, 10:15 PM
I would connect it to the adapter ground and if that doesnt work well you may have to extend it to the frame

Just so I'm clear, by adapter ground you mean the one on the left going to the harness, correct?

winkychevelle
04-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Just so I'm clear, by adapter ground you mean the one on the left going to the harness, correct?

Correct it should be tied in from the factory but some cars are not and require a longer ground to reach frame material

keep_hope_alive
04-21-2014, 10:22 PM
chassis ground is what it is intended to be connected to. look for metal inside the dash - look for factory ground wire locations. if you cannot find one, then yes, you can ground to the wire harness ground (try to trace that wire in the harness).

jesse_00
04-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys, that worked perfectly!