PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer box!! helpppp

HondaSI
04-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Can somebody please help me?? I wanna build my buddies box for him but not sure how to get the specs. He wants it tuned low 30 to 32 hz my max height is 16.5" max width is 34" and depth is 36.. it's for a sundown sa15 d4 sub.. and a cut sheet would help also.. thanks in advance

bubbagumper6
04-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Can somebody please help me?? I wanna build my buddies box for him but not sure how to get the specs. He wants it tuned low 30 to 32 hz my max height is 16.5" max width is 34" and depth is 36.. it's for a sundown sa15 d4 sub.. and a cut sheet would help also.. thanks in advance

There are several members on here that can design you a nice enclosure including a cutsheet with nothing more than the information you've posted in this thread and a few bucks. Buck comes to mind (if he's still doing designs) but I know there are others.

HondaSI
04-18-2014, 05:54 AM
There are several members on here that can design you a nice enclosure including a cutsheet with nothing more than the information you've posted in this thread and a few bucks. Buck comes to mind (if he's still doing designs) but I know there are others.

Thank you very much for taking the time and replying to my thread

HondaSI
04-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Will this calculation work for the sundown audio sa15 sub and will it come out 2 be at 30hz?? only thing it doesnt show me how long to cut the ports??

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/attachments/enclosure-design-construction-help/26547944d1397831399-subwoofer-box-helpppp-sundown-sa-15-build-30-hz.jpg

anger
04-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Will this calculation work for the sundown audio sa15 sub and will it come out 2 be at 30hz?? only thing it doesnt show me how long to cut the ports??

Looks close enough to me, though I'm no expert. It shows your physical port length, so, if i were you, I'd use a common wall for one side and make sure the middle of the port runs that length (21.25"), while keeping the port area consistent, bend as needed.

HondaSI
04-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Looks close enough to me, though I'm no expert. It shows your physical port length, so, if i were you, I'd use a common wall for one side and make sure the middle of the port runs that length (21.25"), while keeping the port area consistent, bend as needed.

what is a common wall?? it will be a side port box if that helps you?? how long should the port going into box need to be (cut size) and how long should the port inside the box making the L need to be?? (Cut Size)

Another question.. the wall of the opening from the port going down.. since the port is open 4 inches does that mean the the first wall of the porting going into the box is 4 inches from the inside of the back wall? and then 21 inches over?

anger
04-18-2014, 11:53 AM
what is a common wall?? it will be a side port box if that helps you??

Not even sure that's proper terminology, but ya, an outer wall shared by the enclosure and the port.

Another question.. the wall of the opening from the port going down.. since the port is open 4 inches does that mean the the first wall of the porting going into the box is 4 inches from the inside of the back wall? and then 21 inches over?

I'm not sure which way you're planning on running the port...but if you run it down the side of box (the 25" side), then yes, cut that piece (inner port wall) 4" short of the inside of the back wall (15" x 20.25"). That gives you 20.25" of port length already. So I'm not sure it's necessary to bend the port for 1 more inch...I doubt you'd hear a difference. But if you want to, then ya, cut a 15" x 1" piece and continue the port in the other direction (parallel to the back wall)

Alternatively, you can just run the whole port along the back wall and exit to the side (not sure if that's what you meant by 'side port') with a 15" x 21.25" piece...no bending or additional pieces needed.

Hope that helps.

HondaSI
04-18-2014, 12:34 PM
ok.. Soo

HondaSI
04-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Not even sure that's proper terminology, but ya, an outer wall shared by the enclosure and the port.

I'm not sure which way you're planning on running the port...but if you run it down the side of box (the 25" side), then yes, cut that piece (inner port wall) 4" short of the inside of the back wall (15" x 20.25"). That gives you 20.25" of port length already. So I'm not sure it's necessary to bend the port for 1 more inch...I doubt you'd hear a difference. But if you want to, then ya, cut a 15" x 1" piece and continue the port in the other direction (parallel to the back wall)

Alternatively, you can just run the whole port along the back wall and exit to the side (not sure if that's what you meant by 'side port') with a 15" x 21.25" piece...no bending or additional pieces needed.

Hope that helps.

So the side inner wall going into the box is port 1 at 20.25 x 15 then 2nd part is 1x x 15 ??? when i did the dimensions put 26 why does it change to 20.25 physical inches?
so the box would look like this im assuming and be 30 hz or close without the inch

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/attachments/enclosure-design-construction-help/26547945d1397839140-subwoofer-box-helpppp-subboxdiagram.jpg

anger
04-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Yup, looks good to me. Don't know why it's changing your port length. Pretty sure, the longer the port, the lower the tuning. But at this point, I'd just build it to the specs you have and see how it sounds.

I was recently informed by a member here that you can be off quite a bit (up to 20% in some cases) on your calculations and it's unlikely you'd even hear a difference.

What you've got there looks solid and fairly hard to F up. I say BUILD IT!

HondaSI
04-18-2014, 02:38 PM
thank you for replying

bumpasauras
04-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Just did a single sa15 box they like 4cuft net ported tuned to 33-34 htz.. just download a boxbuilder program... super easy

HondaSI
04-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Thanks man.. I'll try that..

C1500martin
04-20-2014, 01:21 AM
Check out the free box plans sticky on this section of the forum, its going to be annoying digging through the links but hey someone did the work for you, beggers cant be choosers, goodluck!

Jes 42
04-20-2014, 01:28 AM

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/attachments/enclosure-design-construction-help/26547944d1397831399-subwoofer-box-helpppp-sundown-sa-15-build-30-hz.jpg

That's the program i just got done using and needless to say i'm happy with the results on my box.It's beating my Bravada to death.lol

HondaSI
04-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Very nice.. would u build the box I calculated?? Would u say it's solid calculations?

Jes 42
04-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Very nice.. would u build the box I calculated?? Would u say it's solid calculations?

Yeah it looks ok.Doubt you'd have any problems with it.What part of Ohio you in?

HondaSI
04-20-2014, 02:34 AM
South of columbus out side of waverly u?