PDA

View Full Version : Box Tuning question

argenis69
04-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Hello, As you know I have a 02 Nissan Maxima with a 15" Fi SP4 in a 3.5 cu ft flare port box powered with a 3500 Crescendo amp(check my signature).

I would like to know what's the best frequency to tune this box to get the maximum loudest bass output with decent sq?

Thank you.

Dmac1991
04-16-2014, 10:31 PM
33-34hz ish

argenis69
04-16-2014, 10:44 PM
One question, I have some curiosity about how does the tuning work, the higher the louder? Or how does it work?

hispls
04-16-2014, 10:50 PM
3.5 is a bit small for a 15.

argenis69
04-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Yes, I was trying to save trunk space.

argenis69
04-16-2014, 11:49 PM
???

argenis69
04-21-2014, 04:57 PM
I have some curiosity about how does the box tuning work, the higher the hz the louder? Or how does it work?

psych0ticnemes1
04-21-2014, 05:01 PM

I know you're knowledgeable but since when is 3.5 cubes too small for a 15"? 2.5 cubes is recommended for the Type R 15", and I'd have to say most 15" will work great in 3 cubes, let alone 3.5.

argenis69
04-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Anybody?

NASTY08IMPALA
04-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Anybody?

Loud in terms of htz isnt really relevant here...say ur car peaks at 50 and mine peaks at 40. i will lose output past 40 and you will gain the closer u get to 50.make sense?

argenis69
04-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Loud in terms of htz isnt really relevant here...say ur car peaks at 50 and mine peaks at 40. i will lose output past 40 and you will gain the closer u get to 50.make sense?

Makes sense, but is there more or less a standard tuning frequency where the subs tend to have better output no matter the vehicle or environment?

NASTY08IMPALA
04-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Makes sense, but is there more or less a standard tuning frequency where the subs tend to have better output no matter the vehicle or environment?

All depends on the sub ..and type of music u listen too but id say 35 is a good middle ground..the sp4 is a low end monster and does well tuned low if i were u id bump it up to 4-4.5 cubes at 35 and you should see greater output

tc300
04-21-2014, 09:43 PM
This is why you should have a box built around your cars cabin gain... Not all shops do it tho...

argenis69
04-21-2014, 09:51 PM
All depends on the sub ..and type of music u listen too but id say 35 is a good middle ground..the sp4 is a low end monster and does well tuned low if i were u id bump it up to 4-4.5 cubes at 35 and you should see greater output
Thanks, but I need the trunk space. Does it help and make a big difference to tune it to 35 hz in the 3.5 cubic feet enclosure I already have?

argenis69
04-21-2014, 09:53 PM
This is why you should have a box built around your cars cabin gain... Not all shops do it tho...
I did that, I'm just curious with the tuning subject.

NASTY08IMPALA
04-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks, but I need the trunk space. Does it help and make a big difference to tune it to 35 hz in the 3.5 cubic feet enclosure I already have?

Yes any tuning above what u have now will help the upper end ..a jump from 30 to 35 should be significant

argenis69
04-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Yes any tuning above what u have now will help the upper end ..a jump from 30 to 35 should be significant
Thanks, do you know about tuning an enclosure for home use? I just bought a SQ HDS312 and I would like to know what's the best frequency I can tune it on a 2.7 cu ft enclosure I have with a 4 inch flare port for same music use and also good for movies?

NASTY08IMPALA
04-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks, do you know about tuning an enclosure for home use? I just bought a SQ HDS312 and I would like to know what's the best frequency I can tune it on a 2.7 cu ft enclosure I have with a 4 inch flare port for same music use and also good for movies?

Never messed with home stuff sorry

Dmac1991
04-21-2014, 10:40 PM

not really.

argenis69
04-21-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks

hispls
04-22-2014, 03:10 AM
I know you're knowledgeable but since when is 3.5 cubes too small for a 15"? 2.5 cubes is recommended for the Type R 15", and I'd have to say most 15" will work great in 3 cubes, let alone 3.5.

Suit yourself. Ever try a good 15" in 5 cubes? With the stuff I've experimented with (over-damped subs), a 12" will be louder than a 15" in 3 cubes. My theory is that most manufacturers realize that in addition to how much power people think they can throw at a sub, the next best thing to attract the uninformed is cone area. Claiming your 15" will be great in 2.5-3 cube is a great way to sell more 15's.

Most people in HT look to tune down in the low 20's so they can play down to 16-18hz range sound effects in movies. Of course if you're setting up a home theater you have plenty of room for 8 or 10" full range that can handle down to 50 or so so that your sub system needs only focus on a much narrower bandwidth.

SounDrive
04-22-2014, 03:33 AM
Suit yourself. Ever try a good 15" in 5 cubes? With the stuff I've experimented with (over-damped subs), a 12" will be louder than a 15" in 3 cubes. My theory is that most manufacturers realize that in addition to how much power people think they can throw at a sub, the next best thing to attract the uninformed is cone area. Claiming your 15" will be great in 2.5-3 cube is a great way to sell more 15's.

Few people realize this any more. Everyone is concerned with "how much power will this sub take" and think "more cone area is louder" and disregard efficiency. They cram a sub in a small box so that it won't reach mechanical limits as easily, but they're also sacrificing a lot of efficiency.

argenis69
04-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Most people in HT look to tune down in the low 20's so they can play down to 16-18hz range sound effects in movies. Of course if you're setting up a home theater you have plenty of room for 8 or 10" full range that can handle down to 50 or so so that your sub system needs only focus on a much narrower bandwidth.
Ok, but I purchased a SQ HDS312 that's 12" sub and I will use it mostly for music(hispanic like reggaeton and merengue) but i will also like the sub to be useful for movies.
What would be the best tuning for the enclosure and sub I got?

argenis69
04-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Few people realize this any more. Everyone is concerned with "how much power will this sub take" and think "more cone area is louder" and disregard efficiency. They cram a sub in a small box so that it won't reach mechanical limits as easily, but they're also sacrificing a lot of efficiency.

I'm aware of that, but I need the trunk space and I bought my car sp4 for a reason, and that reason is to use it in my planned music room when I buy a house.

hispls
04-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Ok, but I purchased a SQ HDS312 that's 12" sub and I will use it mostly for music(hispanic like reggaeton and merengue) but i will also like the sub to be useful for movies.
What would be the best tuning for the enclosure and sub I got?

The SQ is essentially a DD 95 knockoff. It is designed around the box. The "DD Box" to be specific. Use the sizes/ratios on the DD website and you should do well. All reports suggest that that sub likes large-ish box tuned high with large port area. It will be sub-optimum for movies but it is a good tuning for music.

Keep in mind if you lurk the HT forums people test sub-stage with certain movies that have sound effects (explosions, helicopters, or the dinosaur footsteps in Jurrassic Park) that extend down well below 20hz for reference material. The HDC3 is really not designed to do that, but on the bright side if you're using typical 200-600W size plate amp on it, it will have enough x-max and a tight suspension to prevent you from breaking it when that material comes up in movies.

Alternately, if space isn't an issue you may well be able to use an "ABC Box" to tune at 25 and 50hz which would pick up both sound effects and also have that punch you'll want for your 97.9FM type music (I assume you're talking about the kind of stuff they play on that station in NYC?)

argenis69
04-22-2014, 02:10 PM
The SQ is essentially a DD 95 knockoff. It is designed around the box. The "DD Box" to be specific. Use the sizes/ratios on the DD website and you should do well. All reports suggest that that sub likes large-ish box tuned high with large port area. It will be sub-optimum for movies but it is a good tuning for music.

Keep in mind if you lurk the HT forums people test sub-stage with certain movies that have sound effects (explosions, helicopters, or the dinosaur footsteps in Jurrassic Park) that extend down well below 20hz for reference material. The HDC3 is really not designed to do that, but on the bright side if you're using typical 200-600W size plate amp on it, it will have enough x-max and a tight suspension to prevent you from breaking it when that material comes up in movies.

Alternately, if space isn't an issue you may well be able to use an "ABC Box" to tune at 25 and 50hz which would pick up both sound effects and also have that punch you'll want for your 97.9FM type music (I assume you're talking about the kind of stuff they play on that station in NYC?)

Yes, that radio station plays more or less what I mostly listen to.
When you say abc box, what do you mean?

And so I understand, your saying that tuning the 2.7 cubic feet flare port enclosure I have to 25 hz well get me the best output for my music and movies?