PDA

View Full Version : Port decision

bgowdy31
04-11-2014, 11:40 AM
IM USING AEROPORTS.....

So im looking at 11.36 cubes gross of internal volume. i was going to do 2 8" aero ports before but now that have i have upped the enclosure size im not sure if thats enough sqin^3. It comes out to be roughly 9inches per cube

My goal is loud playing music. So more towards the SPL side of things.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks for the input

Full Tilt
04-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I'd suggest more port area, but I've also heard less is required from aeros. That just seems pretty low.

bgowdy31
04-11-2014, 01:47 PM
I'd suggest more port area, but I've also heard less is required from aeros. That just seems pretty low.

yea less is required for aeros ive read that its like half the amount of a slot port or 8 - 12 inches per cube

Full Tilt
04-11-2014, 01:51 PM
yea less is required for aeros ive read that its like half the amount of a slot port or 8 - 12 inches per cube

Hmm, maybe you're in the ballpark, then. I'll let somebody who knows a little bit more about enclosure design chime in, though.

SPLadd1ct
04-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Aeros require approximately 8-11 sq in per cube as compared to 12-16 sq in per cube with a slot....obviously both can go higher when dealing with pure spl applications

SounDrive
04-11-2014, 02:11 PM
It depends on the power and subs used, too. Port per cube shouldn't be the end-all deciding factor.

Full Tilt
04-11-2014, 02:13 PM
It depends on the power and subs used, too. Port per cube shouldn't be the end-all deciding factor.

While just about every factor is gonna affect what he truly needs, getting the right number here is pretty important to determine how the enclosure performs. Which, as we all know, is one of the most crucial parts of a system.

bgowdy31
04-11-2014, 03:05 PM

2 OA v2 18s and 3k before rise and voltage drop. so they will probly see around 1k each after all that give or take. i would like to be in between 8 - 11 inch mark but to do this it would require a 12 inch aero(which i can make so no big deal). the 12" would give me right at 10"s per cube

SounDrive
04-11-2014, 03:43 PM
While just about every factor is gonna affect what he truly needs, getting the right number here is pretty important to determine how the enclosure performs. Which, as we all know, is one of the most crucial parts of a system.

I meant that port per cube isn't always a good way to determine port area. A lot does depend on enclosure size, but the subs themselves and power used also play a big role in the port size needed. If the enclosure is on the large side, you can often get away with a lower port per cube, and the opposite goes for small boxes.

SounDrive
04-11-2014, 03:45 PM
2 OA v2 18s and 3k before rise and voltage drop. so they will probly see around 1k each after all that give or take. i would like to be in between 8 - 11 inch mark but to do this it would require a 12 inch aero(which i can make so no big deal). the 12" would give me right at 10"s per cube

I always like one large aero rather than multiple smaller ones anyway.

If it would fit, I would do that.

bgowdy31
04-13-2014, 03:29 AM
I always like one large aero rather than multiple smaller ones anyway.

If it would fit, I would do that.

yea i could fit

SMS
04-13-2014, 05:55 AM
Get in touch with bill lolo. Psychoacoustics I believe is the company name. You can give him all the specs and he will tell you what to use. He also makes adjustable length ports.

bgowdy31
04-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Get in touch with bill lolo. Psychoacoustics I believe is the company name. You can give him all the specs and he will tell you what to use. He also makes adjustable length ports.

i can make the port(s) myself. Thats not a issue at all. its actually pretty easy. Im just trying to figure the amount of square inches of port per cube

Bass4Days
04-13-2014, 07:39 PM
i can make the port(s) myself. Thats not a issue at all. its actually pretty easy. Im just trying to figure the amount of square inches of port per cube

DAMNNNN lol I was about to recommend Bill lolo then i read up and someone already recommends him. Bill is the man have done buisness with him personally and been through is shop multiple times. Very good guy and his ports are calls Psychoports. His work is fantastic. Build your box to right airspace and you can adjust your tuning anytime in seconds get it perfect for any song even.

bgowdy31
04-13-2014, 07:43 PM
DAMNNNN lol I was about to recommend Bill lolo then i read up and someone already recommends him. Bill is the man have done buisness with him personally and been through is shop multiple times. Very good guy and his ports are calls Psychoports. His work is fantastic. Build your box to right airspace and you can adjust your tuning anytime in seconds get it perfect for any song even.

thats what im saying tho. i can build the port myself to were i can adjust tuning on the fly. its not that hard to make them. i just asking about the amount of port per cube

Bass4Days
04-13-2014, 07:56 PM
thats what im saying tho. i can build the port myself to were i can adjust tuning on the fly. its not that hard to make them. i just asking about the amount of port per cube
I dont have the tools to build them. You maybe do but i guarantee it don't come out like his. If it does id like to see it. He would figure all that out for you. Make it the perfect size. But Im the same way I like to do things myself. I cant help you with the port area tho

bgowdy31
04-13-2014, 11:08 PM
I dont have the tools to build them. You maybe do but i guarantee it don't come out like his. If it does id like to see it. He would figure all that out for you. Make it the perfect size. But Im the same way I like to do things myself. I cant help you with the port area tho

im not saying mine will look as good as his, it may not perform as well but i have had good results out of the ones that i have made. i could make them look better but i usually dont keep the same setup very long. I can make a 12" aero right now and it will probably cost me "maybe" $30 and not take much time at all VS him doing it and it costing around $80 or more + shipping etc(thats estimating because ive seen others talk about him pay more). I know he does a good job because ive seen pics of his work but id rather save my $50+ and use it for something else

bgowdy31
04-15-2014, 04:20 PM
ttt

bgowdy31
04-22-2014, 04:38 PM
bump