PDA

View Full Version : beginer with fiberglass

jaythug
06-01-2004, 04:03 PM
i have no experience working with fiberglass and i want to learn. I know u make a frame, use some sort of fabric then use fiberglass resin on that. thats about all i know. i have a book that tells u more about molds and all that. what i want to know is where to get the fabric that is used. if anybody can help me that would great.

PhatalOne
06-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Go to any fabric store (Joann Fabrics, Hitchcock Fabric, whatever they are in your town) and ask them where the cotton fleece is. This stuff is pretty cheap and it ***** up alot of resin and dries as hard as a rock. Be careful when measuring because some places consider 1 yard of fleece to be 1 yard of two layers, so for our purposes you end up getting two yards. That is what happened to me and **** I have so much leftover... I guess I need to find more projects to use it on.

ramos
06-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Look in the mark down bin at wally world in the fabric department. I find it there all the time , and it's usually dirt cheap. :)

helotaxi
06-01-2004, 10:20 PM
T-shirt material works really well also. It stretches better than fleece but you have to reinforce it with mat and/or cloth a little bit more than the fleece.

dbornotdb
06-02-2004, 12:48 AM
There are some good tuturials around also. Oh look, there is one hanging around my sig. :wave: