PDA

View Full Version : Budget component setup

tylerj
04-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Celestion Neodymium 5" Full Range Woofer 4 Ohm | 299-414 (http://www.parts-express.com/celestion-neodymium-5-full-range-woofer-4-ohm--299-414)

ordered 4 of these midrange drivers. I am planning on running them in pairs, wired in series, on separate channels, off my Alpine MRV-F345, Using a Low pass filter.

The amp is rated 100x4 @ 4 ohm.

Then i am planning on purchasing some tweeters to run on the other two channels, using the High pass filter.

Am I doing it right?

mylows10
04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
No if you use the lp filter in them. You'll most likely blue them. Use the full pass or hp down to 80 hertz

tylerj
04-10-2014, 05:00 PM
No if you use the lp filter in them. You'll most likely blue them. Use the full pass or hp down to 80 hertz

I assumed I need to keep the higher frequencies (intended for the tweeters) from the mid woofer?

mylows10
04-10-2014, 05:07 PM
I assumed I need to keep the higher frequencies (intended for the tweeters) from the mid woofer?

Yes. Set the hp down to 500 hertz on the tweets

tylerj
04-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Yes. Set the hp down to 500 hertz on the tweets

so I can send anything under 500 hz to the mid woofers without damaging them?

mylows10
04-10-2014, 05:41 PM
The filters are cutoffs. So the tweets will play down to where you set the cutoff at. And the same with the lp

tylerj
04-10-2014, 06:59 PM
The filters are cutoffs. So the tweets will play down to where you set the cutoff at. And the same with the lp

Thank you, you are being very helpful.

Will I damage these mid range drivers if I send to low of frequencies to it? Will they be fine playing frequencies below, say, 60 hz?

mylows10
04-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Thank you, you are being very helpful.

Will I damage these mid range drivers if I send to low of frequencies to it? Will they be fine playing frequencies below, say, 60 hz?depends on how much power you push to them. The lower the frequency the less power they will take

tylerj
04-10-2014, 07:22 PM
depends on how much power you push to them. The lower the frequency the less power they will take

FMOD Crossover Pair 70 Hz High Pass | 266-272 (http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-70-hz-high-pass-rca--266-272)

so If I add an inline high pass filter as such to the mid range driver, and use the low pass filter on the amp to keep out the highs, then use the other two channels for tweeters, using the high pass filter on the amp to keep away the lows...

Il be doing it right ?

mylows10
04-10-2014, 07:28 PM
You don't need those. Just set the amps crossovers as such full for the Mids and hp at say 300-500 for the tweets. What happens is the speakers will play no lower frequencies than where the crossovers are set to. But everything above will play. The Mids will be fine. If your running active which that's what it sounds like you want to do. You might wanna read up more on what needs to be done. To have sound right. keep_hope_alive ; hopefully he'll chime in to help you better

tylerj
04-10-2014, 07:35 PM
You don't need those. Just set the amps crossovers as such full for the Mids and hp at say 300-500 for the tweets. What happens is the speakers will play no lower frequencies than where the crossovers are set to. But everything above will play. The Mids will be fine. If your running active which that's what it sounds like you want to do. You might wanna read up more on what needs to be done. To have sound right. keep_hope_alive ; hopefully he'll chime in to help you better

awesome, thank you. I wanted to make sure I dont blow/clip these mid woofers by sending them the whole range of frequencies. Im not sure how any of this works ^_^

but all the equipment is real cheap, and its going to be interesting ! cant wait for the stuff to come in the mail :veryhapp:

mylows10
04-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Well like I said hopefully kha will chime in to help you. Normally you need a active capable deck and or amps. Or an electronic active crossover for this to work correctly

trumpet
04-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Based on the FMOD link you should be ok with those filters, although if you find they allow too much bass through you will have to buy a different pair. I'd try the 100 Hz FMODs instead of 70 Hz. That will still allow a good amount of music below 100 Hz to pass through, as it's not a "brick wall" kind of crossover. Your mid/tweeter crossover will depend on how your mids and tweeters perform, but a safe estimate assuming typical soft dome tweeters is 2.5 kHz - 3 kHz. It's also wise to add a capacitor on each tweeter for protection from pops or accidentally sending a full range signal. Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass) (http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1)
parts-express.com sells the capacitors. You don't need to spend more than a couple of bucks on 2 capacitors.

keep_hope_alive
04-10-2014, 11:35 PM
The MRV-F345 is a flexible amplifier.

CH 1&2 crossover switch: Select high-pass, low-pass, or full-range operation for the CH 1&2 speaker outputs
CH 1&2 frequency control: Rotary control adjusts the crossover frequency from 30Hz-400Hz or 600Hz-8kHz (depending on frequency multiplication switch)
CH 1&2 frequency multiplication switch: Select "x1" for frequency band 30Hz-400Hz or "x20" for frequency band of 600Hz-8kHz
CH 3&4 crossover switch: Select high-pass, low-pass, or full-range operation for the CH 3&4 speaker outputs
CH 3&4 frequency control: Rotary control adjusts the crossover frequency from 30Hz-400Hz or 600Hz-8kHz (depending on frequency multiplication switch)
CH 3&4 frequency multiplication switch: Select "x1" for frequency band 30Hz-400Hz or "x20" for frequency band of 600Hz-8kHz
Input channel selector switch: Select between 1/2, 3/4, and 1+3/2+4

That means you can use the amp LPF set around 2kHz-4kHz depending on the woofer's off-axis performance and low frequency performance of the tweeters.

Since the amp doesn't feature a bandpass crossover feature, you will need some sort of high-pass filter on the woofers. what frequency depends on what other woofers are in the system. luckily, you can easily adjust the crossover frequency between woofers and tweeters as needed once you pick your tweeters. no passive crossovers are needed, but a single small non-polarized capacitor in series with each tweeter will offer extra protection if you accidentally change the frequency multiplier.

tylerj
04-10-2014, 11:46 PM

CH 1&2 crossover switch: Select high-pass, low-pass, or full-range operation for the CH 1&2 speaker outputs
CH 1&2 frequency control: Rotary control adjusts the crossover frequency from 30Hz-400Hz or 600Hz-8kHz (depending on frequency multiplication switch)
CH 1&2 frequency multiplication switch: Select "x1" for frequency band 30Hz-400Hz or "x20" for frequency band of 600Hz-8kHz
CH 3&4 crossover switch: Select high-pass, low-pass, or full-range operation for the CH 3&4 speaker outputs
CH 3&4 frequency control: Rotary control adjusts the crossover frequency from 30Hz-400Hz or 600Hz-8kHz (depending on frequency multiplication switch)
CH 3&4 frequency multiplication switch: Select "x1" for frequency band 30Hz-400Hz or "x20" for frequency band of 600Hz-8kHz

That means you can use the amp LPF set around 2kHz-4kHz depending on the woofer's off-axis performance and low frequency performance of the tweeters.

Since the amp doesn't feature a bandpass crossover feature, you will need some sort of high-pass filter on the woofers. what frequency depends on what other woofers are in the system. luckily, you can easily adjust the crossover frequency between woofers and tweeters as needed once you pick your tweeters. no passive crossovers are needed, but a single small non-polarized capacitor in series with each tweeter will offer extra protection if you accidentally change the frequency multiplier.

Based on the FMOD link you should be ok with those filters, although if you find they allow too much bass through you will have to buy a different pair. I'd try the 100 Hz FMODs instead of 70 Hz. That will still allow a good amount of music below 100 Hz to pass through, as it's not a "brick wall" kind of crossover. Your mid/tweeter crossover will depend on how your mids and tweeters perform, but a safe estimate assuming typical soft dome tweeters is 2.5 kHz - 3 kHz. It's also wise to add a capacitor on each tweeter for protection from pops or accidentally sending a full range signal. Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass) (http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1)
parts-express.com sells the capacitors. You don't need to spend more than a couple of bucks on 2 capacitors.

Thank you guys, this helps a bunch

tylerj
04-13-2014, 12:17 AM

another question.

Ive been consistently stumbling across the terms 2nd, 3rd and 4th order crossovers

do I need to concern myself with this aspect of component systems?

e/

referring to the application i am building that is

keep_hope_alive
04-13-2014, 11:31 AM
another question.

Ive been consistently stumbling across the terms 2nd, 3rd and 4th order crossovers

do I need to concern myself with this aspect of component systems?

e/

referring to the application i am building that is

Data was taken by using the SoundDevices USBPre line level rca input from the Alpine CDA-9887 output directly. Levels are relative. Autosound 2000 Track 18 (un-correlated pink noise) was used as the source.

I am using the Alpine DRE-A200 as a crossover between my tweets and mids off the Front outputs on the 9887. you can see the 12dB/oct slope of that crossover.

There is the same consistent drop at the crossover frequency (6 and 12 are the same, 18 and 24 are the same at the xover point). Certainly, when choosing crossover slopes and points, the drop at the crossover point should be taken into consideration - resulting in some overlap with the crossover points.

4kHz crossover point, slope varies 6 to 24dB/oct. Front output of 9887
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/phat_funky_beats/accord/RTA%202012/9887_4kHz_HPF.jpg

1kHz crossover point, slope varies 6 to 24dB/oct. Front output of 9887
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/phat_funky_beats/accord/RTA%202012/9887_1kHz_HPF.jpg

200Hz crossover point, slope varies 6 to 24dB/oct. Rear output of 9887
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/phat_funky_beats/accord/RTA%202012/9887_200Hz_HPF.jpg

50Hz HPF, 250Hz LPF, slope varies from Full to 6, 12, 18 & 24dB/oct. Rear output of 9887
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/phat_funky_beats/accord/RTA%202012/9887_50Hz_250Hz_BPF-1.jpg

keep_hope_alive
04-13-2014, 11:33 AM
the other item to keep track of is phase. each time you increase crossover slope (or order) you shift phase by 90 deg. that means 12dB/oct (2nd order) has a 180 deg. phase shift. you keep track of this because it has the effect of reversing polarity. keeping crossover points the same between drivers can alleviate some of these concerns.