PDA

View Full Version : RE Audio XXX12D2 Sealed or Ported???

KaneFresh
04-08-2014, 10:42 PM
I am planning on purchasing a RE Audio XXX 12D2 and am going to put it in the back of my 2014 Cadillac CTS. I am wanting to build a box for this setup and am wondering if I should go sealed or Ported. I am not wanting to tack up the whole trunk but I think I can get at least 3 ft^3 with how I want to set it up. I am not hurting for an SPL system but would rather prefer an SQ system. I would like it to hit the lows with perfection. Dont care much about upper/mid bass. I already know Its gonna be loud pushing 2500W Rms. Should I go with a ported setup or a sealed setup for this subwoofer. I talked with the people at RE and they recommended Net 1.25 ft^3 for the sealed enlosure. Im thinking this sounds a little small for such a gnarly woofer. Like I said I could go up to 3 ft^3. I am thinking of either getting an RE Audio USX amp or Lanzar Optidrive. Questions/Comments/Concerns. Thank You

eradicator006
04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Go sealed with that sub. I have the 15" version and if the 12 is anything like it then it will require a huge ported enclosure to sound good.

...That's if you're talking about the 2008 and newer XXX.

bbeljefe
04-10-2014, 09:46 AM
If your goal is low end response, sealed is the fastest and easiest way to fail. Sealed boxes do not have good low end extension, especially when on the small side, which is what manufacturers generally recommend for sealed enclosures.

For good lows you'll want to go with as large a box as possible and a good bit of port area. You'll also need at least two cubes each for those subs, not including displacement. So ultimately, you need to be prepared to sacrifice about 6ftⁿ gross for two of them.

Slobalt
04-10-2014, 10:23 AM
the truth ^

T3mpest
04-10-2014, 10:34 AM
He's gonna need more than that likely. From what I've read the specs on RE's site are very inaccurate. These things aren't going to be amazing unless your willing to give up a lot of space.. Since you only have 3 cubes to play with, I'd def go sealed. These things have 50mm of xmax or something stupid anyway, it's basically a complete waste to port these things unless your running them in a home in an EBS alignment. Get them in the biggest sealed box you can fit, throw as much power as you got at em

bbeljefe
04-10-2014, 10:38 AM
I have no idea whether the manufacturer's specs are accurate but the published xmax for this sub is 28mm. From the looks of the sub, I don't see 40mm of xmax.

T3mpest
04-10-2014, 10:42 AM
I have no idea whether the manufacturer's specs are accurate but the published xmax for this sub is 28mm. From the looks of the sub, I don't see 40mm of xmax.

Isn't this the woofer in question? Should be 54mm xmax, according to their site, and even some testing I've seen done on some home audio forums.. Maybe you were looking at the older model XXX's, but I remembers xmax on those at 32mm, 28 is close enough though.
http://www.amerigo.com/caraudio/xxx-03.jpg

basswiigee
04-10-2014, 10:52 AM
ive heard them in 2.8 each ported and they were awesome!!! and doing a trunk build id go ported but thats just me... its a sql sub, or atleast was when they were good 2006 and under... havent heard too much good stuff about the new ones... although have heard them and they sounded good... but not worth the sticker price of 300 bucks... (or how much they are, was 310 a 12 at car tunes last show they had) Id personally would run a single hdc3 or hdc4... thats just me though!! my dude on here got two in his trunk down the street... let me see if he'll comment on them... they are some mean looking woofers though... but not what they once were... maybe its just cuz i like to feel my bass, not just hear it... if you go sealed its loud but not as low in your chest as ported...

bbeljefe
04-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Isn't this the woofer in question? Should be 54mm xmax, according to their site, and even some testing I've seen done on some home audio forums.. Maybe you were looking at the older model XXX's, but I remembers xmax on those at 32mm, 28 is close enough though.
http://www.amerigo.com/caraudio/xxx-03.jpg

Well crap... I don't know what I looked at. I went to RE's website and looked at what I thought was the XXX but now I've gone back and looked again and it says 54mm of xmax. Now I can't find a sub that says 28mm at all. I dunno what I did man but thanks for pointing it out.

Must be getting old, lol.

Beatin'
04-10-2014, 11:43 PM
dude, I just modeled this sub in winisd and the group delay in ported and even bandpass alignments are TERRIBLE and the QTS is 0.5. It doesn't appear to have a weak motor that can cause such wild group delay peaks so how can this be?

PatFitz9
04-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Ported is the only way to go with that sub. If you don't have the room, then I'd look for a different woofer.