PDA

View Full Version : Torn between 2 high end component sets - please help! (91 Mustang Convertible)

koala33
03-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I am not new to car audio, but have never got into the audiophile type speakers. I have a 91 Mustang Convertible, and I need to upgrade the audio. Right now I have a JVC Arsenal head unit (70w) that does the trick. The menu is kind of confusing, and it is not the most aesthetically pleasing, but I will probably just leave it in there because it does the trick.

Here are my choices from 2 different car audio installers.

1: Local dealer only 10 minutes away.
Focal 165 AS 6 1/2 Components with Kenwood or Alpine 4 channel amp installed with additional RCAs left in the trunk for future use (sub(s) and a mono amp) for $1,100 out the door.

2: Rainbow dealer (who said they no longer carry Rainbows, so they referred me to Merels instead) is an hour away.

I have listened to the Focals and they sound great, but have not listened to the Morels. That dealer is an hour away, so I really need to make a decision on buying either the Focals that I have listened to, or the Morels that I have not heard (only read about). Here is what this dealer had to say about Focals and Morels, to try to sell me on the Morels. What do you think?

So With the rainbow unfortunatly the company was bought out by another company and they decided to re release the older previous model as there new model line and have gotten rid of all the rainbow lines that were in my opinion far better then anything out there. It ***** but i only have a limited number of speakers left and no 6.5 or 5.25s left.

As there replacement we picked up the morel line which i find very comparable and is some ways better. I matched you with the tempo line which is comparableto the focals you were looking at.
The differences. The Focal has a lower nominal power rating a 3mm smaller tweeter that is aluminum ( What this means is the highs will be sharper and some describe as tinny. Some like the sound some think its to overwhelling). They do have a highier sensitivity.

The morel can handle 40 more watts rms and have a 28mm tweeter vs 25mm tweeter and the tweeter is a silk dome which gives a more warm and rich highs.
Either one will work great for you and we can install the focals but unfortunatly cannot purchase them.

Hope this helps

5.25 Component Speakers with 28mm Tempo Tweeters 299.99
10% Military Discount -10.00% -30.00
Basic Component Speaker Install 95.00 95.00
4 Channel Amp install 200.00
4G Amp Wiring Kit Raptor 55.99
4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier 1 350.00
10% Military Discount -10.00% -35.00
TOTAL - $974 with tax

With this dealer, I would have to go with 5.25s rather than 6.5s - they don't have any Morel 6.5s apparently.

I am totally bummed that they do not carry Rainbows, because that is what I was really in search of. People have been faking them online, so I only want to go to an authorized dealer.
What is your opinion?

I have Pioneer A series 6x8s in the rear of the car, and they are going to get wired to the amp, but will remain. I thought about replacing them, but I am not sure it is cost effective to spend more money on something that is in the back seat. Or is it that important? I will be the only one in the car 95% of the time.

In the future I will probably get some kind of sub put in the trunk with an amp. I previously had an 89 Convertible, and there were 2 10s in a huge box that took up the entire trunk. It slammed, but I think I am over the big bass, and I want to be able to use my trunk. So I am thinking an 8 (or 2) or a 10 (or 2) in custom boxes in the corners of the trunk.

So my questions to you fine people are:

1 - Would you go with the Focal or the Morel setup?

2- In the future, what kind of sub/amp should I go with?

hispls
03-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Both Focal and Morell make good equipment, I don't think you'd be disappointed either way. There's virtually no reason to put speakers behind you in a car IMO. I'd invest the money and effort into deadening the front doors or buying some custom molded kickpanels for the front.

koala33
03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
When you say deadening... Are you referring to ripping out the interior and lining the car with foam or whatever? I agree with the speakers in the rear, but others seem to think it is important.

AAAAAAA
03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
There are many reasons to use rear speakers in a car.
-louder: by adding the same speakers and same power you are getting around a 6db increase, very noticable
-less weird phasing issues when you turn your head.

Between the two I'd say go with the most astheticly pleasing model ;)
haha

koala33
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't think I am going to "see" any other the speakers. They are going to be behind the OEM grills.