PDA

View Full Version : ported bo for sundown audio sd2-10

laidback
03-08-2014, 03:46 PM
i have no clue how to calculate the ports for a ported box. i have always built sealed boxes till now. my two sd2's are coming now and its time to start on the box. it will be a wedge shaped box internal dims are 5" at top 8.5" at bottom and 24" wide 12" tall. this would be one chamber by my calculations that would be a total of 1.124ft3. is a ported box even doable? if you minus the displacement that gives you right at 1.0ft3. thats what SA suggests. but that leaves no room for the pot displacement. can you externally port a box? meaning if the port is say 10" long, can u put that on the outside of the box?
i like this design26547351

tommydh
03-08-2014, 05:15 PM
what are all dimensions you have to work with?I can plug them into torres or look for download for torres tuner it has entry fields for every different displacements.

tommydh
03-08-2014, 05:27 PM
I have a box for 2-10 sd-2s sitting in my shed that I built now only using single. To use ported box you need to go a little bigger.
13.5H 27W 8d1 12.5d2 is overall exterior dimensions with port of 1"wide by 12 tall 20 long would be 1.16net vol tuned at 34.5 hz if that works

laidback
03-08-2014, 05:40 PM
i dont have that kinda space. its going in an s10. i dont wanna loose a whole lot of leg room. those dims were the max that i could deal with. looks as though i will have to do sealed.....no biggy i was gonna do sealed at first thats why i bought the SD2-10. for being shallow mount. from what ive read they should pound in a sealed box as well. what about the external port? will that even work or no? have you even heard of such a thing?

tommydh
03-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah id go sealed then or do single 10 in ported that will still pound the cab. I definitely know the pain of trying to fit subs in standard cab s-10 I finally said f -it and did blow throw for 6 JL 12w6 years ago. If you google torres tuner you should be able to find a download for it it takes all the guesswork out of it for port tuning and net displacement. The box you had listed is tuned way to high for that sub. And yes you can externally port an enclosureif you want to keep the depth is there any room width wise to go?