PDA

View Full Version : Ready to give up on my P3's

anger
03-06-2014, 12:01 PM
So, I originally had 4 RF Punch HE's totaling 800w rms at 2ohm in a sealed enclosure sitting on my back seats. Wanting to save some space and kind of 'upgrade', I replaced them with 2 RF P3 dual 4ohm totaling 1200w rms at 1ohm in a 2 ft cubed sealed enclosure that I built myself...I'm no pro, but it's definitely sealed.

Problem is, they sound like ***. Seems they're distorting before I'm even at my head unit's max clean signal. I've checked my wiring several times, moved them to different areas of my truck, gains are set correctly...But I'm not getting anywhere near the output I did with the 4 less powerful subs, according to my ears.

I realize there probably aren't many fans of RF on here, but do you think it was just a bad choice in subwoofers? Or a flawed enclosure? It's my first one, but it's up to recommended specs and airtight. Or am I just expecting too much from 2 drivers rather than 4 less powerful ones?
Should I try a ported enclosure? EBP is around 50...should be okay for ported, correct?

Basically, what would you do in my situation? I'm ready to throw the P3's in the backyard and pee on 'em.

I'm more than happy to provide anymore info, pics, video...whatever's needed to help. Thanks to anybody willing to give some time/input on this.

Oh, Pioneer AVH3200DVD head unit and RF T1000bd-CP mono block if that matters.

Beatin'
03-06-2014, 01:17 PM
are they sealed off from the trunk? and pointing into the cabin?

nevermind I see you put them in a truck. What kind?

globalminds_ent
03-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Sounds like poor box design, sure these shouldn't be ran ported?

anger
03-06-2014, 02:05 PM
are they sealed off from the trunk? and pointing into the cabin?

nevermind I see you put them in a truck. What kind?

F150 supercrew. In a center console box originally firing down, but they're firing upward now, as I've been testing. I did hear from another member here that the center console is probably the worst spot to try and get loud from, but that's what I've got to work with.

Sounds like poor box design, sure these shouldn't be ran ported?

RF recommends sealed for the P3, but with the ebp at 50-ish, I believe can go either way. My enclosure does have an odd shape behind one of them where I put cupholders...see pics below. (don't mind my covering/finish work.)

NASTY08IMPALA
03-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Yea ur not gona get the same output from the p3s as u did the he.s in a standard sealed box..yes it gona be harder in a center console...my suggestion if u wana stick with a center console is to sell the p3s and buy a cpl sundown sd10s and build a center console ported .. Buck; on here can help u with the design...and that amp is perfect for them

supereikenator
03-06-2014, 02:37 PM
F150 supercrew. In a center console box originally firing down, but they're firing upward now, as I've been testing. I did hear from another member here that the center console is probably the worst spot to try and get loud from, but that's what I've got to work with.

RF recommends sealed for the P3, but with the ebp at 50-ish, I believe can go either way. My enclosure does have an odd shape behind one of them where I put cupholders...see pics below. (don't mind my covering/finish work.)

Nice box! Good job, I wish I could build like that. Hope this gets resolved.

anger
03-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Nice box! Good job, I wish I could build like that. Hope this gets resolved.

Thanks man, you want it? =). Im sure you can...just some common sense, proper tools and a lil bit of research/planning. Was my first, but sounds like ***.

Yea ur not gona get the same output from the p3s as u did the he.s in a standard sealed box..yes it gona be harder in a center console...my suggestion if u wana stick with a center console is to sell the p3s and buy a cpl sundown sd10s and build a center console ported .. Buck; on here can help u with the design...and that amp is perfect for them

I may go this route...those look beefy. You recommend the shallow version because of my space requirements?

Slobalt
03-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks man, you want it? =). Im sure you can...just some common sense, proper tools and a lil bit of research/planning. Was my first, but sounds like ***.

I may go this route...those look beefy. You recommend the shallow version because of my space requirements?

correct, it still will not be the same as your he.s but should be better.

Jeffdachef
03-06-2014, 04:25 PM
going from 4 12s to 2 12s on the same power would mean a lot less cone area and a lot less output. You'll get almost as loud if you have beefier 12s with double the power

NASTY08IMPALA
03-06-2014, 04:27 PM

Yes plus the port will take up some more space also why i suggested 10s..u could probably get by with using sa10s if the design will work