PDA

View Full Version : Hello from an old school car audio girl looking for help.

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 01:54 AM
I was asked to introduce myself. Well I found this forum last few days and thought to sign up to ask some questions and maybe tips. I was a little bit into the car audio back in the late 80's and into 90's. I see things have changed. Many of the brands I remember and mainly the US made stuff has gone away or has been taken over by others that make them in China. I see there are still a few US made equipment left. I remember the swap-meet amps you use to see with the 1000watt $25 brands. That was the day. But anyway, I remember the great US made amps and speakers back then that were awesome and sounded so clean. I am today somewhat confused on what brands today are good and sound clean and most of all reliable. I am 45 now and want quality sound and not just loud SPL. My current vehicle is a 04 Toyo Tacoma X-cab. it is kind of old now but it is paid off, low insurance and I put a motor in it few years ago and it runs great. I plan to do some fix up this year on it so I can dive it another 300,000 miles. It's paying me back now.

I installed a sound system back when I bought it in 04. I designed it myself and bought the equipment and took it to a local shop to install. One Jenson 4 CD changer head Unit and one Blauplunk head unit, yes 2 head units in a double Din opening. Remember that Jenson 4 CD changer hear unit? 2 JBL amps, 2ch amp for 2 Kicker 6 1/2 bass substaions tubes and the 4ch amp for front Blauplunk components and a set of Blauplunk 4x9 fill in rear speakers. I did eventually change out the head units to 2 Alpine head units CDA-9820XM first, then last year a CDE-HD137BT I wanted the USB port. But I still have the rest of the sound system still in truck.

I think the system is getting tired and I think one of my tweeter are gone. So to make a long story short, I was thinking of upgrading and install new amps and speaker. I will still keep the Kicker 6 1/2 substation tube in there. The Kickers were awesome and sad when they stopped making them. They still sound great. A testament to quality manufacturing. The truck has a small cab area so don't need a million watts in there. And the Kickers were just right. They are hard to find used these days and if you do they are bought up quickly. I did find a pair of the 6 1/2 substations on E-bay few years back and bought them quick and there in the garage raped up till I need them.

I do understand most of all the tech stuff of systems and I did design my own system back in 04. So this time around I was looking to upgrade to newer amps and speakers but, I don't know what brands today are good and reliable and sound clean. I have researched on internet last few day and have seen Zed audio, Sundown, Zapco, RE, Helix, RFand others. I have even seen Brax from Germany, wow they are sweet and are handmade to order. But the cost, out of my league. The US made amps are nice and can be expensive. I understand that there are still many brands that are good that are made in china. Brands that are designed here in US but made in china and are good. I even looked at Alpine amps and speakers because I have the 2 Alpine head units and maybe just make it all Alpine system except for the Kicker substations. So I need help to understand from people that are in the business today and have experience with current brands and can help me choose good quality brands. What are good and what to stay away from. I need some honest opinions. I have been reading a few car audio forums including this one for help.

So I thank you for your time to allow me to post my question and comments, and look forward to your help and comments.

Stephanie

michaellane
03-06-2014, 02:04 AM
well i am not one to offer advice on sound quality but im sure someone up here will lend a helping hand. the forum seems to die down around 12:am eastern time during the week so id say tomorrow morning come back to this thread and bump it up with a new post. also what kind of budget are you working with? you can find some good deals on old school amps from time to time up here but i saw you wanted new stuff. the newer brands seem to jump from owner to owner sometimes so it hard for me to say who is hands down the best now. a budget would be a great place to start and i would probably list some specs for your kickers that you plan to keep in your with your new system

bbeljefe
03-06-2014, 02:53 AM
Hi Stephanie, I'm another 45 year old audiophile but I haven't lost the love for chest pounding bass yet, lol. They told me I would stop all that nonsense when I grow up so I suppose I'm still a child. :-)

As was said, a budget would be helpful and a bit of information about your goals with the new system wouldn't hurt either. You mentioned that your system is tired... can you elaborate? I get that a tweeter is blown but if that's all, tweeters are inexpensive and if that's the only thing wrong, I wouldn't replace the whole system, I'd replace the tweeters.

As for equipment, there are a ton of good quality products out there today and most of them are made in China... that's just a fact and it isn't, as you know, exclusive to car audio. So, I honestly wouldn't make buying an American made product a priority but that's me. That said, I can tell you how I look at purchasing items in an industry with which I'm not familiar.... I look at what the professionals use. If I need to paint a room, I don't buy the 99 in one paint brush advertised on late night television, I look to see what the professional painters use. Or if I want a new fishing rod, I look at what the pro fisherman are buying. Same with car audio... I would look at what the guys in the competition lanes are using and not what my neighbor has in his car. And not only that but, I'd look at what the people in the winner's circles are using.

Today, what you'll see there are brands like Sundown, B2, DC Sound labs, CT Sounds, Fi, American Bass, PSi, Crescendo, dB Drive, and a host of other bands. What you won't see is Alpine, JL, Kicker and the other more well known companies... with the exception of Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine as far as head units go. Those are the three major head unit companies and their head units are about the only things you see from them in the lanes.

I hope that helps in your decision making process and if you can shed some light on what you want to spend and what you want to accomplish, you'll get some really good suggestions.

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 03:13 AM
Hey thanks for the like of my post. I am in So-Cal just outside in suburbs and I guess I will post something in morning in my time zone. Thanks for the info. Well for my budget I am willing to spend some money. Like I said I plan to do some fix up of my truck this year and the system is one of them. Maybe a paint job too. But I don't want to spend $500 on one amp. I have seen last few days researching that some I think are good amps are a few hundred dollars. I found this company called RE Audio that is a parent company of US Amps. This company I found out it in my back yard only a few cities away, about 15 min drive. I sent them a e-mail today and asked about the amps and the guy replied that the amps are designed and tested here in US then made in there factory over in Asia. He claims they are good quality but I don't know. I never heard of RE Audio but I have heard of US Amps, so that is why I looked at them. They have a 4 channel amp that would fit nice in my set up and it was selling retail under $200.

I guess I should say what I have currently have in the system and then what I am looking for. Oh my BAD so sorry. I just went outside to look under seats and they are Blauplunk amps and not JBL. I will have to re-edit my original post. But anyway. Currently Blauplunk PCA-450 4 ch 50wx4 and a PCA-250 50wx2. Blauplunk components speakers in front doors and a set of 4x9 or 4x8 something like that, you get the picture, I think in rear panel for fill in. I use the built in crossovers on the amps.

So for the new system I'm looking to upgrade to about the same just newer and better. The Kicker substations handle I think 100w rms around there. So a nice quality amp with say 50 to 75 watts would be fine. Keep in mind I don't want to blow out speakers with high watts and loud SPL. I will leave that to you younger generation. And for the speakers, a quality components set in front with like 100w or more rms and the rear fill in speakers around 100w rms would be fine. Then a quality amp to power them. Like 4 ch 50 to 75 or so watts rms per channel would work fine. All the amps made today seem to have built in crossovers so I could use them. Like i said in first post, I'm looking for better sound quality and not mainly loud SPL. Understand this is only a X-cab toyota tacoma, a small cab area. I don't need a lot to make it sound nice.

So let me know your comments thanks

tc300
03-06-2014, 03:14 AM
If you know what you're doing you can make the midpriced stuff sound pretty good....

Unless you're a diehard SQ person you may not hear that much of difference...

have you ever been inside SQ vehicle???

Jeffdachef
03-06-2014, 03:29 AM
plenty of great 4 channel, active capable amps are out there in the 200$ price range and you can always set your gain lower if you are afraid of blowing speakers. More power does bring the midrange and midbass alive in speakers, as well as treating the doors with some insulating material to absorb rear waves and covering the gaps in the door with aluminium + sound deadening material.

Like tc300 said, You dont have to spend an upwards of 300$ on a set expensive components to sound good.

neo_styles
03-06-2014, 03:31 AM
Covina's not too far away from Jeff, either. A demo of his setup might give you an idea of what can be had that covers the best of both worlds. Glad to see you're getting back into the hobby and you're right...a LOT has changed.

Jeffdachef
03-06-2014, 03:36 AM
would also be great to know your sound signature preference. Bright and forward mids? warm and lush mids? bright tweets? 0 harshness tolerance? midbass junkie? for the substage, do you want low bass extension or flat and accurate response from 30-80?

sound quality is soo very subjective of each individual lol. What sounds good to one person might not to another.

tc300
03-06-2014, 03:43 AM
would also be great to know your sound signature preference. Bright and forward mids? warm and lush mids? bright tweets? 0 harshness tolerance? midbass junkie? for the substage, do you want low bass extension or flat and accurate response from 30-80?

sound quality is soo very subjective of each individual lol. What sounds good to one person might not to another.

I wonder of many shops around the US could give an answer..... Or just look at you with a blank look on there faces!!!
Hahahaa

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the comments bbeljefe

I understand were you coming from. Unfortunately I don't hang out a car audio shows and don't see what is in the winner circle. That is why I am here on this forum. All the brands you mentioned that are not in winner circle are the brands that used to be in the old days. Alpine, JL, Kicker. I remember friends installing Orion, PPI, Linear Power, Alphasonik, (my brother had Alphasonik in his car) Soundstream and many many others. Great American made quality Those where the good old days. I remember when my brother and I were leaving town to visit relatives for the weekend and he had his Alphasonik system installed. The shop had the car for 3 days and it was Friday night 9pm with drop lights and all so the shop can finish final touch ups then on are way we go. 70 & 80's rock all the way. Hair bands

Oh and for the tired sound system question. Few years back a soda was spilled in the truck and I cleaned it best I could. But I think some leaked into amp and now dried up and left a film on circuit board. When amp is running hot you can start to smell something. And after a wile of fairly loud sound listening and amp is hot, the sound quality kind of goes away, Start to sound kind of distortion in the sound. I think it is the amp. It still works but I would just replace it. And like I said I can't hear highs from one of the Blauplunk tweeters. They don't make that model anymore to replace it. I would just like to install a nice new set of speakers that match.

Hope that help. Please ask if I left something out.

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 04:02 AM

Hu what did you say. See now that is too technical for me. Just a basic system that sounds good with quality parts. Not some 1000w $25 amps and speakers. I have stated already what system I have in there currently. And I said what kind of vehicle it is. Understand that I did not just win the lottery yesterday and can afford to, what did Jeff say, to do tall that.

And my what, " sound signature preference" do you mean what kind of music i like? Well I would need something to cover all aspects of music because I do have a hobby at home that I edit and remaster music with my WaveLab software. I have some 6000 songs on hard drive from all aspects. Rock, Heavy Metal, Soft Rock, Pop, 80's, Easy listening, Olies, Classic Rock, well you get picture. What ever mood I am in. So the system would have to be a balance for all " sound signature preference"

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 04:09 AM
Covina's not too far away from Jeff, either. A demo of his setup might give you an idea of what can be had that covers the best of both worlds. Glad to see you're getting back into the hobby and you're right...a LOT has changed.

You said it, a lot has changed. There are brands that I just never heard of. And I just did not know what brands are good and which one's to stay away from. I know some like Boss audio all those, power acoustic and many like them to stay away from.

When I was doing my research on internet I found that many companies own or distribute different brands. Rockford Industries Corporation owned a number of brands under their roof, Rf, Brax, Helix, lightning Audio, Renegade so on. I also found this corporation called Jam industries form Canada. Jam owns a lot of other companies. But under Jam's Erikson Consumer Mobile division they own Infinity, JBL, Blauplunk, Bassworks, Ultimate, Renegade, SirusXM, Panasonic audio, Dynamat. On web site Jam said that Rockford Industries were going to distribute the Blauplunk brand in North America. I also remember(if it is same company) Ultimate sound. If it is the same company i remember they had an office and warehouse over in City of Industry CA not far from where I live. I remember Ultimate had some nice stuff that was affordable and worked well back then. Ultimate was not high line but is was decent. On the Ultimate web site I saw a amp I liked, T2-604 There address was in Canada. This Ultimate amp looks real similar to a Brax German amp. Look it up.

Ultimate Sound http://www.ultimate-sound.com/car/t2amp.php
Brax Audio http://www.braxhifi.com/products/product_series.asp?cat_id=1

I wonder if many of the companies share technology and some make the same amp just under different names. if I can get this Ultimate amp that uses or has technology from Brax audio for less money, that would be awesome. Has anyone here on this forum have any experience with Ultimate amps, this new stuff? I know that Brax is very high line stuff and is handmade to order, I visited the web site. I saw the prices on the Cruchfield website. Can someone check out this Ultimate amp and it's specks on the web site and let me know what you think.

Well keep the comments and suggestions coming thanks.

Jeffdachef
03-06-2014, 04:33 AM
for 4 channel amps, PPI still makes some decent amps(mainly their black ice/phantom lines) even though they are owned by epsilon now which also owns power accoustik. PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Precision Power P900.4 Amplifier (http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test-reports/1805-test-report-precision-power-p9004-amplifier-) <= this is one of most popular amps around the forums which can be had for around 180$.

Orion, Alpine, jbl still makes decent products all around(just not a lot of people using orion stuff anymore), pioneer and kenwood have good head units, would not touch their subs or their 100$ and under speakers. Kicker's mediocre and overpriced. Sony's trying to clear up its bad reputation with its new GS line but no one's buying lol. JL audio still makes good stuff but very overly inflated pricing and rockford fosgate has good amps but are overpriced. Sundown's the new king of research and development on subs and amps.

And there's the high dollar sound quality items starting from CDT, PHD, Morel, Dynaudio, Hertz, Audison, Focal, actually, you know what i found a list, too lazy to type.

HERE YOU GO!

Most recent list of good and bad car audio brands - CarAudioForum.com (http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=337891)

Also, for the budget minded people who like buiding their own component sets, Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components (http://www.parts-express.com/) and The Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/)

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks Jeff for the link to car audio list.

Is that list up to date, current. I did see some in the good section that maybe be what I'm after. I will have to look at some of the different brands in both the good and the highest quality sections and price them out. See what they cost and what I can spend. I may find a brand in the good section that is priced right but there may also be a Highest quality brand amp or so that may not be to much more in cost and, I would chose to pay a few extra $ for the better parts

Did anyone yet read my last post about the Companies and how they own different brand names. Did anyone look at my links to the Ultimate and the Brax amps and give me some feed back.

Let me ask you all this question. Put yourself in my shoes, A daily driver that you want to update the sound system and you did not want to spend a fortune. What brands would you look into? I'm not talking full out blown expensive stuff. Just a basic driver that you wanted to have nice clean sound for the best price possible. You guys understand my ? So shoot me some names and give me some advise and I will start researching and pricing them out so i can make a educated decision and find what is best for me overall.

Thanks

MrFoca
03-06-2014, 06:29 PM
You have one of the original Kicker substations ? with the port that can be removed ? WOW have not seen them in years. Would love to see a picture of that, I remember seeing them with the old trans ana fosgate amps.

mylows10
03-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi Steph it really comes down to your budget,wants ,& needs there's a show in Lancaster next sat the 15th and Moreno Valley 16th you should really attend to see some of the new stuff in action. It might help you make a better decision We could recommend equipment all day to you. But not hearing it in person can make you sceptacle if you have been away as long as you say then most of the new stuff might seem confusing , btw I listen to the same music ,get some demos of other peoples systems because as you know the store displays won't sound the same as installed in a car And bbjeljefe. I've been told the same. I'll be 51 this year and still love my bass and competing ,

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 08:08 PM
You have one of the original Kicker substations ? with the port that can be removed ? WOW have not seen them in years. Would love to see a picture of that, I remember seeing them with the old trans ana fosgate amps.

Thanks. First thanks to all so fare that have commented and help.. All this Audio stuff is bringing back memories. I almost forgot a story to share. Now about this comment on my Kicker substation.

My old-er Toyota truck Tacoma x-cab I had was a 1999 and I had a system that had a pair of the original 6 1/2 Substations. Well in 2004 I was involved in a 6 car crash on fwy and stupid person who caused it fled the scene of it. I'll share more of the crash maybe later but, my truck got totaled by my Ins company and it had to be towed off fwy. The tow truck company towed it to there yard and few hours later after all the police interviews and all I finally had a friend take me down to tow yard to get my stuff out. Low and behold my 2 substations were gone. I asked and everyone played dumb and I could not prove anything so I got screwed twice. Accident, now substations gone. So I had to buy a new truck and got a new 2004 that I am still driving now. So when I was designing my system for the truck I was looking for a new pair of the awesome Kicker Substations. Found out no one had them because they had been discontinued over 1 yr before. OH NO So as the girl I am and very resourceful, I looked and looked and then though, maybe Kicker still has a few left over and maybe seating in back of warehouse collecting dust and no one even thinking about them. So I called them and just asked the lady on customer service line if they had any. She said no and that they have been discontinued for over a year. Well can you still check? I'm sorry but they are discontinued. Back and forth. I was nice but firm and then the lady said ok ok. give me your number and I will call the warehouse guys across street to check if any are hiding. Yes you guest it. I got a call next day that they found 6 of them hiding in back of warehouse. I said I will take 2 of them please. Oh and the lady gave me a discounted price. :) Then a few yrs later I was looking on E-Bay and saw someone was selling a pair on there so I bought them knowing they were hard to find. I just raped them up and stored them in garage till I need them.

Morel to this story is to never give up

mylows10
03-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Cool story. I'm kind of the same way in this aspect weather I'm selling or buying I'll be very patient so that I get what I want

neo_styles
03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
If your goal is just a great-sounding amp and speaker set, you should be more than well off for under (I think) the $400 mark. You have a really valuable asset in that, if you can get up towards Lancaster (past where the 405 and 5 merge), Vertex Audio ; does some great deals on new/used gear. Unless his stock has changed a ton, you should be able to snatch up either a Boston Acoustics GT2125 or GT275 which are PHENOMENAL A/B amps for a front stage. They're very transparent and deliver some great, clean sound; plus, they're rated for a distortion of 0.03%, so clean power can still be had at much higher than the rated values. I took one of those GT2125s, bridged it to 2 ohms, and got 1300W out of it before hitting the 1% distortion mark.

As for front stages, best thing I can suggest is start going from shop to shop and listen to what's out there. The real focus to get the most out of your speakers is in installation, really, so I would focus more of my time and attention to learning proper deadening techniques. A properly-treated door can make a WORLD of difference (and is probably why I get such a great sound out of my sub-$100 Incriminator Audio coaxials).

Here's a few sets that have really wowed me over the past few years:

PHD FB Kit 6.1 (www.phd.it)
Incriminator Audio I65C (Can be had from denim ; or Vertex Audio ; )
JBL P660C or JBL MS-62C (Talk to trumpet ; . I would suggest the P660C if you want something that punches a little harder or the MS-62C if you want a more laid-back, analogue kind of sound)
Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG (Made only the way Germans can make speakers...have a quality unique to themselves. Tough as nails to find, though, unless you can find an authorized shop or a used set somewhere like DIYMA. Rainbow Audio USA (http://www.rainbowcaraudio.com/slc265-25ng.html))

And you've always got SonicElectronix. Kind of the bane of any small outfit's existence, but they buy in bulk, so prices are normally pretty dang low:

Pioneer TS-D1720C (tsd1720c) 6.75" (Oversized 6.5") 2-Way D- (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12224_Pioneer-TS-D1720C.html) (about the only Pioneer set I'd recommend unless you move up to the PRS line)
RE Audio XXX6.5C 6.5" 2-Way XXX Component Car Speakers (XXX65C) (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27343_RE-Audio-XXX6.5C.html)
Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2 6-1/2" Chameleon Component Speakers System (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22325_Image-Dynamics-CXS64-v.2.html)
Kicker QS65.2 (09QS65.2) 6.5" QS-Series Component Car Speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19433_Kicker-QS65.2-09QS65.2.html) (reincarnation of Kicker's SS line. Have NOT heard these personally, though, so I recommend a demo)

That should get you started on the right foot. Just see who has these in stock

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi Steph it really comes down to your budget,wants ,& needs there's a show in Lancaster next sat the 15th and Moreno Valley 16th you should really attend to see some of the new stuff in action. It might help you make a better decision We could recommend equipment all day to you. But not hearing it in person can make you sceptacle if you have been away as long as you say then most of the new stuff might seem confusing , btw I listen to the same music ,get some demos of other peoples systems because as you know the store displays won't sound the same as installed in a car And bbjeljefe. I've been told the same. I'll be 51 this year and still love my bass and competing ,

Thanks It sounds nice but I don't know. I guess I just don't want to spend all day listening to bass. It sounds right that I should go see the setups but, I feel that the systems are set to the individual persons taste or it is a setup by a Manufacture that just wants so show off with a million watts. I did go to SEMA back in 07 and I have seen the setups at LA auto shows in the past. It was cool to see some of the nice cars and sound systems.

I wanted to post here on this forum because I found it last weekend researching online. I read a lot of the posts on here and many of the people on here have been in car audio for a long time and new a lot and had plenty of experience. Everything had changed for me and new brands and so that I never heard of. I felt I could trust a lot of the suggestion on here because many have been into car audio for years. I wanted comments from everyday car audio people that have used this or that brand and new if it was good or not. Or look at this brand because it is decent and has good sound at a fair price. Many of the brands I thought from years back were today not so good.

So to your question on budget. I know a few have asked me that but it is suggestive. I already stated what is in the truck sound system now, and I have said what I would be interested in. I am the type of person that does her research and looks for something good at a fair price. I am not a cheepo person, So I guess I have to see what is out there that is worth looking at in brands and see that they are costing these days. And I don't want to say that, example, I don't want to spend more then say $200 on a 4ch amp and then find a really good say amp at $225. If that was a deal and it was say a really good brand, I would pay the extra $25 to get a really good brand of 4ch amp. So my budget is not set in stone. I may find a good decent quality amp brand for $150 that work for me.

I was just reading the post on the Soundstream amps and what they have become today as per the older amps. So looked on there website and found the reference series amps that everyone said is just as good or better that the old school original. So I looked online and found that the 4.400 was little over $200 I can get it for. Or do i go with this Alpine 4ch amp I found for $129. And I saw a RF for $169 4ch. So I guess I should say I am in the middle of the price range. First is I need to know what is a good brand and what is not from the wonderful people on this forum Then I can eliminate the brands that are not good and narrow down the field, Plus the brands to Just stay away from far away from. And then concentrate on the good stuff. Then I can see what the good brands offer and see what specs will work best for me, and then narrow down more. Then finally get to a point were I can choose what will work best from a few brands and go with one that has the best fair price.

Does that make sense?

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks NEO

I will check them out.

I said I do not want to give up my kicker substations. They work well still and they have just enough bass for what I want. I want a system to sound clean and nice and everything working together. I don't want over powered bass and the Kicker substations work well for that small cab area. I also like the fact that they have a flat bottom and will not roll around, then I can just disconnect and remove them if I need to have someone ride in back or I have to put something there temporarily.
And I don't need a million watts in there.

mylows10
03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
I can give you some ideas of product to look at if you like I'll be at the 2 shows next weekend also I've done a couple of installs in trucks like yours in the past not to hard to make them sound good with the right equipment

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 10:26 PM
honest opinion please

Ultimate Sound: Car Audio (http://www.ultimate-sound.com/car/t2amp.php)
Amazon.com: Ultimate T2-602 400 Watt Amplifier (Two Channel, Black): Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-T2-602-Amplifier-Channel-Black/dp/B003U6Y5GQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1394159052&sr=1-4)

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 10:26 PM
honest opinion please

Ultimate Sound: Car Audio (http://www.ultimate-sound.com/car/t2amp.php)
Amazon.com: Ultimate T2-602 400 Watt Amplifier (Two Channel, Black): Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-T2-602-Amplifier-Channel-Black/dp/B003U6Y5GQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1394159052&sr=1-4)

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Honest opinion please

Ultimate Sound: Car Audio (http://www.ultimate-sound.com/car/t2amp.php#t2604)

Also Honest opinion on brand

amplifiers (http://reaudio.com/products/amplifiers.php)

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Honest opinion please

Ultimate Sound: Car Audio (http://www.ultimate-sound.com/car/t2amp.php#t2604)

Also Honest opinion on brand

amplifiers (http://reaudio.com/products/amplifiers.php)

Bomber Z
03-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Here are some links to some of the venders I have been looking at. Also check the supporting venders on the site. Car Audio/Video - Xplicit Audio (http://www.xplicitaudio.com/car-audio-video/) also EMF Audio formerly SundownOnly.com (http://www.emfcaraudio.com) I'm doing the same of updating my system. This is one thing I will never give in. Maybe in my 40's but I still like it loud. Wish you all the luck finding what you need. Some good people on here so I'm sure you will.

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Here are some links to some of the venders I have been looking at. Also check the supporting venders on the site. Car Audio/Video - Xplicit Audio (http://www.xplicitaudio.com/car-audio-video/) also EMF Audio formerly SundownOnly.com (http://www.emfcaraudio.com) I'm doing the same of updating my system. This is one thing I will never give in. Maybe in my 40's but I still like it loud. Wish you all the luck finding what you need. Some good people on here so I'm sure you will.

Yes there are good people on here. That why i asked my question on this forum.[COLOR="Silver"]

[

stephgirl
03-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Sorry for the extra posts Computer issues I guess

tc300
03-07-2014, 01:59 AM
Grab some ppi black ice amps!! VERY nice for the price and they are being discontinued right now... Dirt cheap...

If you're looking for another mono amp, audio technix 400.1 is on eBay for a FANTASTIC PRICE!!!

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 02:32 AM
Thanks tell me more. I am looking at them on there website right now.

I have heard of PPI. They were big back in the day. Tell me more about the Black Ice amps by PPI. How do they stack up to other brands and where do they stack up in quality, Are they high line category or middle or low end. Is that PPI's best amp line or middle or low end series. And why are they discontinuing them for?

Thanks

keep_hope_alive
03-07-2014, 02:33 AM
i also remember the old school orion and alpine and PPI and Phoenix Gold stuff - but don't forget they were $500+ back in the 90's for a good amp.

inflation is real and to match the performance... you see where i am going?

modern amps for $200 are very low performers with high THD, susceptible to noise, and limited features.

this is why i run amps from the 90's even today (currently 1996 Alpine MRV V12 series). I recently moved from old xtant.

you've listed links to Ultimate which is the first i've seen of that label. my honest input is that i won't put a $130 MSRP amp in my car, nor would I install it in someone else's. They are just too noisy and problematic. They have to save costs somewhere to hit that price point.

RE Audio is owned by US Amps which is a solid company.

you've asked about large companies owning lots of smaller companies. sadly, the car audio giants of the 90's were mostly purchased for their namesake and reputation, then repackaged as asian made stuff with an old label. not saying the products don't work, but you truly get what you pay for.

I'm also not saying you need to spend a grand on an Audison or Genesis or McIntosh amp to sound good. But those are examples of brands that build with the same passion and attention to detail as the old school leaders, with the improvements you would expect 15 years of evolution to provide.

some companies design in the US, have an asian company make the board at the lowest cost possible, then assemble here in the states. this is the case for budget amps. a good design can prevail and a good amp can be had - but it's hit and miss. you really need a large sample base to have confidence.

something else that changed is ratings and how they are developed. used to be that amps were rated at load and low THD over long periods of time. now they can claim ratings if only one channel achieves a power level for a few seconds, and at unlistenable THD. the trick is finding an amp that rates power output at a specific THD. if THD is listed only separately (as is the case with the Ultimate amps you linked) then the very low THD listed can be at idle and the power levels claimed can be at very high THD.

this rating game has been going on for a long time, but the past 10 years or so have not been kind to the consumer. people see an amp from the 90's rated at 30W @4 ohms and 0.01% THD and wonder why it's louder and cleaner than a modern amp rated 75W @ 4 ohms but no THD - and the modern amp costs 1/3 what the old one did.

keep_hope_alive
03-07-2014, 02:38 AM
those Ultimate amps look like the Powerbass ASA series amps. and they may even come from the same asian build shop or source the same parts.

I have used Powerbass ASA series amps in installs before, with success - and they are also very inexpensive. However, I am familiar with the designer of some of their amps and they did a pretty good job.

The Boston Acoustics GT series is a legit amp for a budget, and it also sounds decent. BA just happened to get out of car audio so their amps are available for a steal.

JL Audio still makes good products, and their price reflects it. Their G-series is cheaper all-around but acceptable.

MB Quart was bought out but has managed to churn out a few acceptable budget amps.

Polk Audio has some reasonable offerings. The PA660 will be going in my wife's car soon.

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 03:14 AM
Thanks Keep Hop Alive

Yes I remember Ultimate Sound back in the 90's. They were like medium brand. They had an Corp office/warehouse near my house in City Of Industry CA. I really do think it is same company or maybe the name just got bought out. If you do your research and link over to this and then that, I found out that it is owned by Jam industries that also own Erikson Mobil Electronics. Then Erikson Mobile own names like JBl, Infiniti, Blauplunk, Dayamat, Ultimate, Renegade. So i thought that maybe Ultimate was made like maybe JBL or infinity. See link

Erikson Consumer | Divisions & Brands (http://www.eriksonconsumer.com/divisions.html#mobiledivision)

That Ultimate amp looks real similar to Brax amps from Germany. But I don't think Ultimate is hand made like Brax.

So RE Audio as a solid good company. There amps and speaker are good. I said in other post that I did see that RE Audio was associated with US Amps. I saw a RE Audio amp I liked. I also said that I e-mailed the company to ask about there amp and the guy replied that, the amps and deigned and engineered here in US but made over seas.

I see what your saying with all this and how things have changed. It is so confusing these days anymore. Seams like back in old days you had more of a clear understanding. Everyone new the high line amp companies and the brands. And everyone new the junk amp brands. Then you had some medium brands. But they were very distinct categories. Now a days it is like all mixed up. Cheap amp companies now have some of the Old high line brands mixed in to there companies.

So what do you chose. Like I said in my other posts. I plan on keeping this truck many more years and want to upgrade my amps and speakers to equipment that is going to last. I don't want to get stuck with some brand and it dies in a few years. My current system is like 10yrs old and has done well. I have not had to replace a thing except for the head units. This will prob be my last system in this vehicle.

Don't forget to shoot me info on speakers brands too.

So please keep the information coming. I value all of your opinions. I have already seen things I like and things I want to say away from.

Also read my other posts about what system I currently have and use that as a reference on what the set up is. Please don't forget to let me now on speaker also. I have got some good posts on amps but not much comment on speakers.

keep_hope_alive
03-07-2014, 03:29 AM
i build systems for people at any budget. but when budget is low, we start looking at used speakers and used amps. you can save 30% off retail buying used, and then the $200 budget pulls in $600 gear that is of good quality.

I run Hertz Mille component speakers and a Mille sub, and the old school Alpine amps with a new Alpine headunit.

You've had some fair recommendations from Neo-Styles above. There are several $200 speakers that can perform well if properly installed. my opinion of "properly installed" may be different than yours. the build logs in my sig illustrate what i mean.

I like Alpine. I like their SPX Pro series or the older SPX-177R series. Their PDX amps are also decent but I don't like the MRP series. They will be around a long time.

I like Hertz. I like their High-Energy series if you can get a good deal. The Hertz amps can be had used for a fair price.

I like Boston Acoustics. Their speakers and amps are decent.

I like JBL. They have some nice product offerings as listed previously.

I like JL Audio. The C5 series is good. Their amps are good.

if what i've "liked" is out of your budget at retail, consider used.

keep_hope_alive
03-07-2014, 03:34 AM
That Ultimate amp looks real similar to Brax amps from Germany. But I don't think Ultimate is hand made like Brax.

likely Brax, Ultimate, and Powerbass all source the same amp heatsinks from someone in Asia. but it's what's inside that counts.

the Brax is $5,000.
the Ultimate and Powerbass is $140.

i suspect there is ZERO similarity other than cosmetic. :)

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 12:14 PM
I new cost factor was way different but I know some companies will share technology and some parts. I just thought that maybe the Ultimate was like a younger brother or so to Brax and made more affordable but still a good amp.

Well I just can't decide, there are so many brands and I am just scared to get something and it craps out in a years or 2.

Look at this RE amp this store has for sale on E-Bay It is a very good price but, is it to good to be true. see link if RE is associated with US Amps, the price is too good to pass up PLEASE HELP
Re Audio DTX7504 DTX 750 4 320W RMS DTX Series Class AB 4 Channel Amplifier Amp 611892991934 | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111083702609&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123)

They have 2 left.

mylows10
03-07-2014, 12:21 PM
The re amps are pretty much junk now. I wouldn't bother. The ppi amps are ok for a budget amp. But still low to middle end at best

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 12:34 PM
The re amps are pretty much junk now. I wouldn't bother. The ppi amps are ok for a budget amp. But still low to middle end at best

Ok, what about there top of line USX line. I just watched a review video on youtube (see link)about the
RE Audio US X4250 It said the amps was designed buy same old school guy Dirt Ekert that designed the US Amps

RE Audio US X4250 Amplifier Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0oAjIWkQuU)

They said PPI was ok but middle level to low at best. I don't want that. How about middle to high. That sound better That's probavbly were I am at middle to maybe high but, not Brax or Zed high

I have been looking at different stuff since i started last weekend and I am confused PLEASE HELP

mylows10
03-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Arc audio xdi. The new line Robert Zeff designed would be a good start the ppi power class only re nothing anymore

treesive
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jeff for the link to car audio list.

Is that list up to date, current. I did see some in the good section that maybe be what I'm after. I will have to look at some of the different brands in both the good and the highest quality sections and price them out. See what they cost and what I can spend. I may find a brand in the good section that is priced right but there may also be a Highest quality brand amp or so that may not be to much more in cost and, I would chose to pay a few extra $ for the better parts

Did anyone yet read my last post about the Companies and how they own different brand names. Did anyone look at my links to the Ultimate and the Brax amps and give me some feed back.

Let me ask you all this question. Put yourself in my shoes, A daily driver that you want to update the sound system and you did not want to spend a fortune. What brands would you look into? I'm not talking full out blown expensive stuff. Just a basic driver that you wanted to have nice clean sound for the best price possible. You guys understand my ? So shoot me some names and give me some advise and I will start researching and pricing them out so i can make a educated decision and find what is best for me overall.

Thanks

If buying new I would look at JBL, PPI, Alpine, and Phoenix gold for amps although PG is probably out of a budget price range. For headunit, Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, etc really depends on what you are looking for. For subs I would look at jbl, lanzar opti, tc epic, ssa dcon, alpine type r, with many many more all depending on budget and wants sound wise. For speakers I would look at jbl, alpine, etc but these are very listener specific such as I hate harsh tweeters so I never liked infinity but their speakers are nice to many people.

Used you can get some better products all over the board but you take the chance on issues or abuse. There are many good sellers on the forums you just have to pick and choose and lay down a baseline of what you really like from a listening standpoint to start separating brands.

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 12:46 PM
What about a Zapco ST-4X 60w x 4 for my speakers Some one is selling it for $169 new

mylows10
03-07-2014, 12:55 PM
What about a Zapco ST-4X 60w x 4 for my speakers Some one is selling it for $169 new

Not a bad price for zapco if in decent shape would prolly be fine as far as speakers. Look at cdt. Hertz and tantric for starters

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 01:08 PM
OH Nooooooooooooooo don't tell me Zapco is crap too. They were a great old school company made great stuff

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 01:19 PM
I need to know about Sounstrem. I see a lot on internet for sale and decent prices. What is good in that line and what is bad

Help AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhh

vibe
03-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I need to know about Sounstrem. I see a lot on internet for sale and decent prices. What is good in that line and what is bad

Help AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhh

i agree with the above statement. my buisness partner has a set of cdt 3 ways on a helix 4 channel and WOW does it sound awesome. im going to be purchasing some tantric hd components for myself. bang for the buck wise that will be my choice and i have done alot of research. but alot of these lines are so comparable its all about personal preference. just dont get caught up buying a company because the name of it is popular and than you get them and realize you could have gotten something so much better for your money. and the only thing i have seen about soundstream is alot of people that i have known or seen have purchased product of theres and than a few months later put it up for sale. i dont know why and i dont know what thats all about that is just what i have personally witnessed

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 01:25 PM
If buying new I would look at JBL, PPI, Alpine, and Phoenix gold for amps although PG is probably out of a budget price range. For headunit, Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, etc really depends on what you are looking for. For subs I would look at jbl, lanzar opti, tc epic, ssa dcon, alpine type r, with many many more all depending on budget and wants sound wise. For speakers I would look at jbl, alpine, etc but these are very listener specific such as I hate harsh tweeters so I never liked infinity but their speakers are nice to many people.

Used you can get some better products all over the board but you take the chance on issues or abuse. There are many good sellers on the forums you just have to pick and choose and lay down a baseline of what you really like from a listening standpoint to start separating brands.

Thanks for the info but, did you read the postings. I don't need a head unit I'm only looking at new speakers and amps to replace. I also don't need bass. Need a 4ch clean amp for componets in front and full range in back then 2ch for bass . looking for clean sounding speaker brand. Read my past posts it will say what I'm after

Thanks but i really do appreciate all info

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 01:48 PM
help Tell me about Zapco St-4X someone has a bid going for only $100 and its new. Only have 2 days.

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
MB Quart still make nice stuff or are they crap too. I remember they use to have very nice sounding speakers. Not sure about there amps

denim
03-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Thanks. First thanks to all so fare that have commented and help.. All this Audio stuff is bringing back memories. I almost forgot a story to share. Now about this comment on my Kicker substation.

My old-er Toyota truck Tacoma x-cab I had was a 1999 and I had a system that had a pair of the original 6 1/2 Substations. Well in 2004 I was involved in a 6 car crash on fwy and stupid person who caused it fled the scene of it. I'll share more of the crash maybe later but, my truck got totaled by my Ins company and it had to be towed off fwy. The tow truck company towed it to there yard and few hours later after all the police interviews and all I finally had a friend take me down to tow yard to get my stuff out. Low and behold my 2 substations were gone. I asked and everyone played dumb and I could not prove anything so I got screwed twice. Accident, now substations gone. So I had to buy a new truck and got a new 2004 that I am still driving now. So when I was designing my system for the truck I was looking for a new pair of the awesome Kicker Substations. Found out no one had them because they had been discontinued over 1 yr before. OH NO So as the girl I am and very resourceful, I looked and looked and then though, maybe Kicker still has a few left over and maybe seating in back of warehouse collecting dust and no one even thinking about them. So I called them and just asked the lady on customer service line if they had any. She said no and that they have been discontinued for over a year. Well can you still check? I'm sorry but they are discontinued. Back and forth. I was nice but firm and then the lady said ok ok. give me your number and I will call the warehouse guys across street to check if any are hiding. Yes you guest it. I got a call next day that they found 6 of them hiding in back of warehouse. I said I will take 2 of them please. Oh and the lady gave me a discounted price. :) Then a few yrs later I was looking on E-Bay and saw someone was selling a pair on there so I bought them knowing they were hard to find. I just raped them up and stored them in garage till I need them.

Morel to this story is to never give up

I spoke to you in length the order day via our SSA Support chat. We discussed a few different options including ZED Audio. :)

keep_hope_alive
03-07-2014, 04:28 PM
help Tell me about Zapco St-4X someone has a bid going for only $100 and its new. Only have 2 days.

Zapco still has some awesome products but they are >$500. I'd love me some high end Zapco. The entry level Zapco is probably the best choice you've had so far.

The entry line at that price will be badged Asian for most brands. Zapco says their ST-X line uses the same op amps and caps as higher lines... but those are relatively cheap anyway - maybe a dollar vs. $.25. Still nice to have

Your hope is for "trickle-down" quality. That doesn't happen in your price range. They are using the cheapest of everything to hit that price point. I want your expectations to be realistic. At $500 you can get some trickle-down from $1000 products.

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Is this Adam. Hi how are you. Yes we did. I appreciate your help. I know Zed is good stuff but I just can afford that. Did you read my post and do you have any comments or suggestions?

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 08:35 PM
i agree with the above statement. my buisness partner has a set of cdt 3 ways on a helix 4 channel and WOW does it sound awesome. im going to be purchasing some tantric hd components for myself. bang for the buck wise that will be my choice and i have done alot of research. but alot of these lines are so comparable its all about personal preference. just dont get caught up buying a company because the name of it is popular and than you get them and realize you could have gotten something so much better for your money. and the only thing i have seen about soundstream is alot of people that i have known or seen have purchased product of theres and than a few months later put it up for sale. i dont know why and i dont know what thats all about that is just what i have personally witnessed

Hello Vibe thanks for the info on SoundStream.

This is what my main problem is. Like you said "don't get caught up buying a company because the name of it is popular and than you get them and realize you could have gotten something so much better for your money" That is my worst fear that scares me. Like I said in other post is that I remember the old days and in last many many years things have changed. Some of the classic brands I remember are no longer good. I am totally confused. I feel it was more cut and dry back in the day. You really had distinct categories, high end good stuff , medium ok stuff, and down right junk. Today the equipment that was good is no longer. And what is good you don't know.

This is why I signed up here for help and the get info from audio people that work in business and go to car shows and see first had. I have been reading all the comments on my post and researching the brands. Yes I do read ALL your posts and research all the recommendation

One of my ideas I had was. I thought that Alpine was a good brand and some on this post said that there ok not bad. So I have my 2 Alpine head units in the truck now and maybe I could just match everything up and just go with all Alpine, I have thought of that. They have some decent prices on speakers and amps. The only thing I am keeping is the Bass Kicker Substations, they still work well and they don't take up much room. What does everyone think of that ?

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 09:39 PM
My idea of going with all Alpine. On that list of Bad, Questionable, Good, Highest Quality, I see Alpine was in the good category. I have been looking at that list and reaching the brands. I think that is were i am at. Good quality at a reasonable price.

Does everyone agree?

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Stupid me You know I forgot what size speakers I have Dose any one know of hand. 04 Tacoma X-Cab. In front doors I have the version with factory door panels that had the set up for mid and tweeter openings and what about the rear, I though they were like 6x8 or maybe 4x6 i don't remember

basswiigee
03-07-2014, 10:18 PM
holy hell theres alotta reading in this thread!!!!
http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/10/basketball_dude_didnt_read-90224.gif

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 11:07 PM
ok ok every one. I think i found what I want. Zapco amps Comments please For my setup. I can us the ST-4X for the componet speakers in front and the 6x8 in rear panel Then I can use the ST-2X for the 2 kicker 6 1/2 substations. I was reading Zapco web site and he has a section where he explains all the tech stuff including how Zapco amps differ from many others and how they rate the RMS power. And also how Zapco amps can put out more then the RMS. They are in the High quality list
Also I looked on line and found tha Zapco amps to be affordable.

Then all I have left to do is find some quality sounding speakers Front components and then a pair of full rage in back for fill in. Speaker have to be the same brand all around I want them to match and sound good

Feed back please

stephgirl
03-07-2014, 11:30 PM
holy hell theres alotta reading in this thread!!!!
http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/10/basketball_dude_didnt_read-90224.gif

Hey is that you doing that crazy dancing? Also checked out that link you had on the $400 system on Youtube. Boy was I laughing. I was laughing at that comment that said "over 3 minutes of different trunk angles! boring" Oh that made me crack up laughing. And some on this post want me to visit the shows next weekend, And listen to that all day.

mylows10
03-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Hey is that you doing that crazy dancing? Also checked out that link you had on the $400 system on Youtube. Boy was I laughing. I was laughing at that comment that said "over 3 minutes of different trunk angles! boring" Oh that made me crack up laughing. And some on this post want me to visit the shows next weekend, And listen to that all day.

Not all of us at the show listens to the rap. Heavy bass songs. Actually in my system the best demo song for me that really shows how good my system sounds in easy come easy go by tesla You should show up on Sunday I'll give you a demo of this song. You'll love it Anyway check this out for your speaker sizes Car Selector (http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?tp=105&l=B)

stephgirl
03-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Not all of us at the show listens to the rap. Heavy bass songs. Actually in my system the best demo song for me that really shows how good my system sounds in easy come easy go by tesla You should show up on Sunday I'll give you a demo of this song. You'll love it Anyway check this out for your speaker sizes Car Selector (http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?tp=105&l=B)

Tesla ok that's better. I like the 80's & 90's rock hair bands. But I do like all kinds of music, what ever i'm in the mood for. From Heavy metal to easy listening to Rap to old school and classic rock to pop. That is why I would like to have this new system be able to sound pretty good with all kinds of music.

Ok everyone I posted my amp Idea about the Zapco need feed back

mylows10
03-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Tesla ok that's better. I like the 80's & 90's rock hair bands. But I do like all kinds of music, what ever i'm in the mood for. From Heavy metal to easy listening to Rap to old school and classic rock to pop. That is why I would like to have this new system be able to sound pretty good with all kinds of music.

Ok everyone I posted my amp Idea about the Zapco need feed back

I haven't used any of the new zapco amps. But the headquarters is about an hour from me. I have a distributor for them to. But all my customers that have used the new lines didn't like them As for mr. I'm kind of the same way. I listen to anything from too short to digital underground and faster pussycat to give finger death punch. Just depends on my mood as well

pickup1
03-09-2014, 07:41 AM
Amazing how a female come on here and all the dudes reply.....horn dogs...

stephgirl
03-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Amazing how a female come on here and all the dudes reply.....horn dogs...

Is there a problem here? Whey don't you contribute to the post and add you comments. I would love to get you comments on my question. What do you think.
You must not of read all the posts because you would see that I posted here for quality help and comments. And I said that i appreciate all the help I could get.
So lets not get off topic ok .

I'm still waiting for some advise and comments on my last few postings.

pickup1
03-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Is there a problem here? Whey don't you contribute to the post and add you comments. I would love to get you comments on my question. What do you think.
You must not of read all the posts because you would see that I posted here for quality help and comments. And I said that i appreciate all the help I could get.
So lets not get off topic ok .

I'm still waiting for some advise and comments on my last few postings.
Well after 4 paragraphs of blah... blah... blah....What is your exact question.

stephgirl
03-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Well after 4 paragraphs of blah... blah... blah....What is your exact question.

Ok then what brands would you recommend i look at?

Garcia915
03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
For amps ppi p900.4 for mids and highs and ppi p600.2 for your kicker tubes should be plenty. Sonic electronix has the best prices on them. They do clean rated power at a decent price.

stephgirl
03-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Yes I have looked at PPI. I was recommended also the Black ice series. I have that on my list

Also what about Powerbass amps

Garcia915
03-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Power bass are decent also. I prefer the ppi phantom series because of their smaller footprint, they won't take up much space in your p/u. The black ice are a lot bigger, but don't let the phantoms size fool you they put out some good power. I'd also skip on the rear fills and invest that money on a quality 6.5 component system. I believe tacomas have 6x8 openings an adapter can be put on to accommodate a 6.5 speaker. You could get away with using only 1 ppi p900.4 or 2 p600.2 if you run your components passive on one amp and bridge the other for the kicker tubes

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone. OK I found a Boston Acoustic GTA-704 4ch 70wch refurbish for $89 should I pick it up? I was told Boston Acoustics were good amp and sound real good for a front stage components set of speakers. That would be good for front and back speakers.

I can also get a Boston Acoustics GTA-802 80w 2 ch refurbish for $80 That would work good for my Kicker 6 1/2 substation tubes. My tubes have a 100w rms per tube so I don't want to give them to much power and blow them up. Like I said, i'm looking more for quality of sound as per power and loud SPL. If i blow then up I can't go buy a new set because they don't make them anymore for many years now.

So what do you all think of that? I think I have a very short window to buy these 2 amps so please let me know if should go for it. like one of the other comments here was, Not to have regrets that you could of got a better product for your money. That is why I'm asking.

Let me know ASAP if these are a great deal and good amp and i would not regret buying something else, Neo, Jeff, Mylows come on guys reply back I think I have a short window on this deal

mylows10
03-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Both are great amps Steph. But ask yourself will they be enough power for what you want. Notably the sub stage should be at least twice the power as the inside speakers to balance right. So with that being said not sure you'll like the outcome but then again it's your truck and really up to your listening pleasures

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Both are great amps Steph. But ask yourself will they be enough power for what you want. Notably the sub stage should be at least twice the power as the inside speakers to balance right. So with that being said not sure you'll like the outcome but then again it's your truck and really up to your listening pleasures

Cool Mylow for reply back

Ok explain more what you mean. My substation handle 100w rms so would that 80w amp work? that is rms power and it can always pump out more on peak correct. like i said I don't want to blow them because you cant but new ones. So do you think i should drop down to a maybe 50w 4 ch amp for the other speakers and that would be better

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 03:02 PM
see I went back last night and read some of the old comments from you and Neo and others and to see if i missed something, I guess I missed the comment on Boston Acoustics being a good amp so I researched this morning and found BA web site and they have them for sale direct refurb at that cost

mylows10
03-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Cool Mylow for reply back

Ok explain more what you mean. My substation handle 100w rms so would that 80w amp work? that is rms power and it can always pump out more on peak correct. like i said I don't want to blow them because you cant but new ones. So do you think i should drop down to a maybe 50w 4 ch amp for the other speakers and that would be better

The amps can be turned down on the gains on the 4 channel It will be fine. But the sub amp since each will take 100 rms. I'd go with an amp that does 250-300 rms. so that you don't need to run the sub amp so hard for power. 99% of sub damage is caused by clipping not overpowering the sub The main thing is to get a clean signal from the amps period

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 03:17 PM
The amps can be turned down on the gains on the 4 channel It will be fine. But the sub amp since each will take 100 rms. I'd go with an amp that does 250-300 rms. so that you don't need to run the sub amp so hard for power. 99% of sub damage is caused by clipping not overpowering the sub The main thing is to get a clean signal from the amps period

So being that my substations only handle 100rms a tube, a amp with a rms power of 250 - 300 rms will not blow them up ? What you just turn down the gain on the amp and it will not blow the speakers?

Remember i listed my current system. it is farly loud in the truck and remember it is a toyo taco x-cab and it dose not have that much area to put sound It is small cab to fill with music. As i said im 45 now and want to keep my hearing into my older years. I have noticed that some times after listening a wile at loud volume my ears are not feeling good. So that is why I want more quality and not just power and loud.

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I gues I was alway at the understanding that if a speaker say handles a 100w rms you don't want to give them more then what they are rated at. So you would get a 100rms ch amp. If you were to give more power then there rated at like 200w they would or could blow up because they are not rated for 200w

Am I wrong? Sound as if I am.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 03:26 PM
So being that my substations only handle 100rms a tube, a amp with a rms power of 250 - 300 rms will not blow them up ? What you just turn down the gain on the amp and it will not blow the speakers?

Remember i listed my current system. it is farly loud in the truck and remember it is a toyo taco x-cab and it dose not have that much area to put sound It is small cab to fill with music. As i said im 45 now and want to keep my hearing into my older years. I have noticed that some times after listening a wile at loud volume my ears are not feeling good. So that is why I want more quality and not just power and loud.
Well I do understand. I'm 50 myself. And I have a z71 extra truck So my question to you is , is there one or two of these tubes back there ? If 2 of them then each takes 100 rms each. That's good so I need to know impedance of the tube or tubes are they s4 or d4 this will help to determine what amp is needed and yes the gain is for line match the signal from the deck to the amp. And can be adjusted back for less power. But not really up for more power , unless you want a clipped signal

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Ok Boston Acoustic has a GTA 504 4 ch 50w if i bridge it into 2 the specs show 160rms 2ch will that work The GTA 504 is $99

or i can get a second GTA 704 and just bridge that into 2 ch and the specs show 250rms into 2 ch will that work?

oh man this is crazy but I can get a good deal direct from BA if I act fast.

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Well I do understand. I'm 50 myself. And I have a z71 extra truck So my question to you is , is there one or two of these tubes back there ? If 2 of them then each takes 100 rms each. That's good so I need to know impedance of the tube or tubes are they s4 or d4 this will help to determine what amp is needed and yes the gain is for line match the signal from the deck to the amp. And can be adjusted back for less power. But not really up for more power , unless you want a clipped signal

I have 2 in the truck of the Kicker 6 1/2 substations and each speaker is rated at 100 rms

Impedance oh I don't know I know they where 4 ohm speakers tubes but what does that small s & d you put in front of your 4

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 03:41 PM
I have 2 in the truck of the Kicker 6 1/2 substations and each speaker is rated at 100 rms

Impedance oh I don't know I know they where 4 ohm speakers tubes but what does that small s & d you put in front of your 4

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 03:47 PM
here is an link to a owner manual for the kicker KS 60 KICKER KS60 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download. (http://www.manualslib.com/manual/490537/Kicker-Ks60.html)

mylows10
03-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Ok so 2 sub station 4 ohm each. So you need a mono block amp that does 300 rms at 2 ohms or more That would be ideal. That way you can put 100 rms to each without clipping or pushing the amp hard also I looked up your truck for speaker size. They are. 6x8 all Round. But with adapters you can do 5 1/4 all around 6.5 can be done but you'll need to cut the sheet metal in the doors I would do just the front doors components and 2 ways/ coaxes in the rear turn the rears down on the amp so that they don't drown the fronts out. Now if you come to the lake perris show I can bring some equipment for you to look at if you like. But that's up to you. Also you might consider changing the power and ground wires if they are as old as you say along with the rcas

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Ok so 2 sub station 4 ohm each. So you need a mono block amp that does 300 rms at 2 ohms or more That would be ideal. That way you can put 100 rms to each without clipping or pushing the amp hard also I looked up your truck for speaker size. They are. 6x8 all Round. But with adapters you can do 5 1/4 all around 6.5 can be done but you'll need to cut the sheet metal in the doors I would do just the front doors components and 2 ways/ coaxes in the rear turn the rears down on the amp so that they don't drown the fronts out. Now if you come to the lake perris show I can bring some equipment for you to look at if you like. But that's up to you. Also you might consider changing the power and ground wires if they are as old as you say along with the rcas

No I do not have 6x8 all around. I have the truck that had the tweeter and mid openings in the door panel. That was stock. it must of been a upgrade stock sound system . I do have the I believe is the 6x8 in rear x-cab area side panels. What I have currently is the components from Blauplunk 2 way with crossover in front door in stock location and the coaxal 6x8 i believe is correct in rear locations. I don't remember but I believe they are 6 1/2 size components in front door now

And why mono and not stereo on the subs

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 04:08 PM
If you hold a few seconds I will go outside and pull one door panel off quick and measure that speaker and get to bottom of this.

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 04:15 PM
ok I just checked and as I thought. They are 6 1/2 component speakers in factory spot. There the 6 1/2 at bottom of door and the tweeter opening at top of panel . Both spots are factor openings.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Ok cool. The reason for thd mono block amp is that it's a sub amp. Not for speakers also a class ab amp used for subs can be harder on your trucks electrical

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Ok cool. The reason for thd mono block amp is that it's a sub amp. Not for speakers also a class ab amp used for subs can be harder on your trucks electrical

Ok i hear you. I just looked on Bostons web site and they don't have anything affordable in that mono amp. They have like 3 sections main, then under shop tab buy direct they have outlet, and then refurb section. check it out see link. I found the GTA 704 under refurb section. What about my idea of buying 2 704 and bridge one for the amps is stereo mode 250 x 2 I see there good amps and for that price I just can't beat it. They also have the GTA 502 and if bridged mono it say 260 x1

Boston Acoustics US (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/subcategorylanding.aspx?CatId=CarAudio%28BostonAco ustics_US%29&SubCatId=Amplifiers%28BostonAcoustics_US%29)

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Oh and under outlet they have the GTA 802 $100

mylows10
03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Problem is the 2 channel amps won't work for both of the sub stations at 2 ohms

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Problem is the 2 channel amps won't work for both of the sub stations at 2 ohms

I need to power the subs with a 2 ohm load. But will the GTA 704 still be ok to use to my other speakers. I just don't want to pass up this deal if the GTA 704 would be a good choice. if it is a good choice then I will order it today. And then maybe worry about the sub amp this week

Ok if you have a second can you use that link I gave you to Boston and look at the outlet or refurb or main to see if there is a decent priced amp I cam use I will then purchase both But i want to know if the GTA 704 can I get that not to pass up deal. I already have it in my shopping cart on webs site i just need to check out. Or maybe there is a Boston amp at good price on E-bay I can purchase that would do what you say Please help

mylows10
03-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Ok give me a sec

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Ok give me a sec

Thanks

just curious, what does your wife think about all this bass and SPL and stuff at age 50, or does she bump in here car too?

mylows10
03-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks

just curious, what does your wife think about all this bass and SPL and stuff at age 50, or does she bump in here car too?

She bass races in the 139.9 class. She has 5k in her 73 blazer

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 05:49 PM
wow thats cool. as they say, if its too loud your too old

Anyway did you look for the BA amp and what about buying thr GTA 704

mylows10
03-10-2014, 06:18 PM
The gt 275 amp is what you want

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
ok that for my bass correct and were did you find it and at what price ? and then the 704 for the other speakers correct

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 06:38 PM
So go and buy the 2 amps

ok I just found it on BA refurb section GT 275 and I add it to my shopping cart GT 704 $89 and GT 275 $139.99 total $228.99 I think that is a great deal for the 2 amps for the quality. what you think?

Also I like the fact that they are being purchased from the source BA and were refubed by BA and should be good

See that is what I like to do, that I looked and researched and took my time and asked for help and advice, and now I think I got a good deal on a good amp and did not settle for something cheep, and will be happy with my purchase. I am never the person that just rushes into a purchase. In past years I have learned the hard way to not do that and shop and research and ask question and just take your time and you will be happier with what you buy. Does that make sense?

Ok now the next thing to look into is the speakers componets front 6 1/2 set and coaxal 6x8 in rear. Will do that this week, any suggestions for something that sounds good at a good deal just like the amps

And I just really want to say to Mylows 10 thank you thank you so much for your help.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
So go and buy the 2 amps

ok I just found it on BA refurb section GT 275 and I add it to my shopping cart GT 704 $89 and GT 275 $139.99 total $228.99 I think that is a great deal for the 2 amps for the quality. what you think?

Also I like the fact that they are being purchased from the source BA and were refubed by BA and should be good

See that is what I like to do, that I looked and researched and took my time and asked for help and advice, and now I think I got a good deal on a good amp and did not settle for something cheep, and will be happy with my purchase. I am never the person that just rushes into a purchase. In past years I have learned the hard way to not do that and shop and research and ask question and just take your time and you will be happier with what you buy. Does that make sense?

Ok now the next thing to look into is the speakers componets front 6 1/2 set and coaxal 6x8 in rear. Will do that this week, any suggestions for something that sounds good at a good deal just like the amps

And I just really want to say to Mylows 10 thank you thank you so much for your help.

Any time Steph

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 06:42 PM
I just want to say that I have purchased refurbed items many times in past from the manufacture that made it and I have had goo luck. I don't like to purchase refurb items from a 3rd party. Manufacture is always best.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 06:48 PM
I agree Steph. On another note. I'd do 6.5 components in the frt and either plates or 5 1/4 coaxes in the rear. It will give you better options

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Any time Steph

More guys should be like you to help. Not like some comments on here.

Anyway give me some advice on the speakers. I think you know about how much i want to spend and what kind of person I am and the deals im looking for. let me know next day or so and I will also be researching it this week

Ok i just purchased the 2 amps

Thanks

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 06:59 PM
give me some 5 or 6 brands of speakers i should look at.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Look at boston acoustic. Cdt these both I can keep you in a $225 range. A little more like $300+. Phd hertz These would be my choices for lower end components and speakers. New

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 07:06 PM
i'm looking at BA now. So are you saying it should keep me at $225 range for all 4 corners or just components or what

mylows10
03-10-2014, 07:10 PM
i'm looking at BA now. So are you saying it should keep me at $225 range for all 4 corners or just components or what

I'm saying. I can get you some components and 5 1/4 coaxes for $225 plus shipping. You'd have them tomorrow to. Hand made here in Cali. And new

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm saying. I can get you some components and 5 1/4 coaxes for $225 plus shipping. You'd have them tomorrow to. Hand made here in Cali. And new

What come again !!!! all 4 corners for $225 Coming from you i would guess there pretty good speakers correct what brand There new and not used

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 07:22 PM
What do you work for CDT or sale them or what? I am on there web site now

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 07:28 PM
give me the model # so I can look at them and hand made?

mylows10
03-10-2014, 07:31 PM
COM 626CR (http://cdtstore.com/syst_packs/com626cr.htm)

mylows10
03-10-2014, 07:33 PM
What do you work for CDT or sale them or what? I am on there web site now

I'm a authorized dealer. I'm on the website. Your Local CDT Store Dealers (http://cdtstore.com/authorized_dealers.htm). Wright audio

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 07:46 PM
whats your link to your web site I can't find it All I see id Wright Audio for home speakers and stuff. Where are you located at

Oh and I do see the CDT 626CR It is a combo set. You don't think i should put 6x8 in read oh well I guess you 6 1/2 coxal will work

mylows10
03-10-2014, 07:53 PM
whats your link to your web site I can't find it All I see id Wright Audio for home speakers and stuff. Where are you located at

Oh and I do see the CDT 626CR It is a combo set. You don't think i should put 6x8 in read oh well I guess you 6 1/2 coxal will work
I don't have a website. My suppliers will only let me sell in my state. Local or on the forums only I do have a Facebook page tho. Wright audio I would just change out the 6.5 coaxes for 5 1/4 and you'll need the adapters. I can get them for you to. They're about $25 for those. Then theirs no modifications needed

mylows10
03-10-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm just north of salinas up the 101. But I'll be in Moreno Valley sat- mon

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't have a website. My suppliers will only let me sell in my state. Local or on the forums only I do have a Facebook page tho. Wright audio I would just change out the 6.5 coaxes for 5 1/4 and you'll need the adapters. I can get them for you to. They're about $25 for those. Then theirs no modifications needed

Check out the 2 web links is this them the Com 626 CR speakers

Com 626CR CDT Audio 6 5" Rear Fill Speakers Component | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/COM-626CR-CDT-AUDIO-6-5-REAR-FILL-SPEAKERS-COMPONENT-/130487607788?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item1e61aae1ec&vxp=mtr)

CDT Audio com 626CR 6 5" 2 Way Component Speaker System Plus 6 5" Coaxial Set | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDT-Audio-COM-626CR-6-5-2-way-component-speaker-system-PLUS-6-5-Coaxial-Set-/151251384526?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item233748f8ce)

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 08:05 PM
CDT web site has the 6 1/2 kit with 6 1/2 speaker , why do you have to swap out for 5 1/4

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 08:07 PM
oh and I did read some review post on CDT brand and on internet. I guess there good quality brand of speakers. ;)

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Did you look at the links I gave you? Can you match the price and the same kit using the 6 1/2 coaxal speaker. You helped me on the amps so i want to give you the business. I want the 6 1/2 speaker
Do I have to bat my eye and give you the girl look

mylows10
03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
CDT web site has the 6 1/2 kit with 6 1/2 speaker , why do you have to swap out for 5 1/4

I can leave them with the 6.5. But you may need to cut the sheet metal for them to fit ,woofers etc
sells them that low because they are old stock. And not an authorized dealer ,No warranty from cdt. Only inhouse. The other isn't authorized to sell cdt period. So they are buying from a distributor

mylows10
03-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Did you look at the links I gave you? Can you match the price and the same kit using the 6 1/2 coaxal speaker. You helped me on the amps so i want to give you the business. I want the 6 1/2 speaker
Do I have to bat my eye and give you the girl look
I can do $200 that's the best I can do tho

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 08:27 PM
tell you what If you can match the price with the 6 1/2 speaker I will also pay shipping. or You give me the same kit with the 6 1/2 speaker at your price $225 and you pay shipping. I know what shipping ruffly cost from Salinas CA.

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 08:37 PM
OH I don't want to have to cut sheet metal. I was hoping they could just drop in.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 08:39 PM
OH I don't want to have to cut sheet metal. I was hoping they could just drop in.

They might drop in. But I can say. Because I don't have your car here to test fit them. 6x8 will most likely fit tho. But you'll need to cover the rest of the hole from the 6x8 speaker. Or make a plate Like I said $200 shipped

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 08:46 PM
There is no 6x8 speaker that can just drop in that you can substitute for the 5 1/4 speaker. See what you can do. maybe you do that and I can just drop speaker in with no cutting or adapter

But I will give you the deal because I do appreciate you helping me with the amps.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
There is no 6x8 speaker that can just drop in that you can substitute for the 5 1/4 speaker. See what you can do. maybe you do that and I can just drop speaker in with no cutting or adapter

But I will give you the deal because I do appreciate you helping me with the amps.

Cdt doesn't make a 6x8. I'll have to go with a different brand

mylows10
03-10-2014, 08:55 PM
I could get you into a set of jbl got components and 6x8 matching sets shipped for $275

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Don't tell anyone but I did just go on Cruchfield chat to ask the size to verify and they also said 6x8 will drop in.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Don't tell anyone but I did just go on Cruchfield chat to ask the size to verify and they also said 6x8 will drop in.

Yea thought so

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Ok what is better CDT or JBL I want the best bang for the buck as they say. $275 oh humm I don't now but like i said before IF i am going to really getting a better JBL over CDT I may do that, but if I am not likely to get more out of JBL over CDT then NO. Understand

mylows10
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Cdt is much better

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
just call me if i give you my number

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:15 PM
ok then lets do the CDT with the 6x8 drop in and the 6 1/2 components. Can you do the same price or is there a little more cost

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:17 PM
CDT does make a 6x8 correct that will fit

mylows10
03-10-2014, 09:20 PM
CDT does make a 6x8 correct that will fit

They do not make a 6x8 sorry

Slo_Ride
03-10-2014, 09:23 PM
wow. longest intro thread ever? wonder why. no nekkid pics?

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:24 PM
so next best if I want drop in 6x8 with no cutting or adapter id JBL. Any other matching brands that would fit that is about the same price as CDT with 6x8

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:26 PM
wow. longest intro thread ever? wonder why. no nekkid pics?

This is A & B conversation C your way out of it. LOL just for that no nekkid pics

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Joking

Slo_Ride
03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
This is A & B conversation C your way out of it. LOL just for that no nekkid pics

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Joking

just a little friendly ribbing, hang around for awhile and you'll get used to it. :boink::cuddle:

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:44 PM
just a little friendly ribbing, hang around for awhile and you'll get used to it. :boink::cuddle:

yes I am a down to earth person and can take a joke

But where is Mylow what about my speakers. I already purchased the amps so, I don't know what you sale at your shop or brands. if you need some time to research it for me and get back to me later i understand. See what you can do.

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:57 PM

Is that your Starsky and Hutch car

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Is that your Starsky and Hutch car

Oh sorry wanabeeee S&H car

Slo_Ride
03-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Oh sorry wanabeeee S&H car

starky and hutch car was a red 75 torino , mines a hugger orange 69 chevelle.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 10:09 PM
so next best if I want drop in 6x8 with no cutting or adapter id JBL. Any other matching brands that would fit that is about the same price as CDT with 6x8

Not really as far as quality The cdt is the better option the adapters are easy to install to. Very easy

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Not really as far as quality The cdt is the better option the adapters are easy to install to. Very easy

Ok ok i guess i will go with the CDT and adapter. Can you give me your best price on the adapters. And how do I pay you.

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:18 PM
starky and hutch car was a red 75 torino , mines a hugger orange 69 chevelle.

I new Torino but your pic makes it look red

mylows10
03-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Ok ok i guess i will go with the CDT and adapter. Can you give me your best price on the adapters. And how do I pay you.

$20 for the adapters. Paypal

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:19 PM

just ship cheapest way. I'm in no hurry

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:24 PM
give me the total. I have a PayPal account but never use it to send money to some one. I will figure it out i guess. You not going to take my money and run are you ?

mylows10
03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
give me the total. I have a PayPal account but never use it to send money to some one. I will figure it out i guess. You not going to take my money and run are you ?

No I'm not. I can send you an invoice if you like and you can pay with a credit card to if you like

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
what is your store Wright Audio give me the web link to you

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
I mean I have a PayPal account to shop on E-Bay but never use it to send money to some one. You have a store up there near Salinas.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 10:32 PM
I mean I have a PayPal account to shop on E-Bay but never use it to send money to some one. You have a store up there near Salinas.

No store anymore costs to much. I did have a small spot in the Bay Area a few years back tho

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:33 PM
No I'm not. I can send you an invoice if you like and you can pay with a credit card to if you like

Send invoice to were my Pay pal account or where

mylows10
03-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Yes wright audio

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Send invoice to were my Pay pal account or where

Yes. All I need is you Paypal address

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:34 PM
and i will get warranty from CDT audio because your a dealer

mylows10
03-10-2014, 10:37 PM
and i will get warranty from CDT audio because your a dealer

Yes full 1 year warranty

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 10:37 PM
ok im in paypal now and how do i find my address or is it my email help

mylows10
03-10-2014, 10:41 PM
ok im in paypal now and how do i find my address or is it my email help

It's your email. Just pm it to me

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 11:11 PM
So the shows that are coming up this weekend sound kind of cool to go see but i don't know. I did promise my Mom I would set up her new Dell computer that is suppose to arrive later this week this coming weekend. If you don't know, Windows XP operating system is going away. MS is stopping support for it in April and there will be no more updates to fix it if there is a problem or hole in the OS for hackers to come in. So she purchase a new computer and I need to set it up and get it working. But anyway I don't have anyone to go with and it is no fun by yourself.

mylows10
03-10-2014, 11:22 PM
So the shows that are coming up this weekend sound kind of cool to go see but i don't know. I did promise my Mom I would set up her new Dell computer that is suppose to arrive later this week this coming weekend. If you don't know, Windows XP operating system is going away. MS is stopping support for it in April and there will be no more updates to fix it if there is a problem or hole in the OS for hackers to come in. So she purchase a new computer and I need to set it up and get it working. But anyway I don't have anyone to go with and it is no fun by yourself.

Well I don't know how far Covina is from Lancaster or lake perris. But your more than welcome to come hang out with the wife and myself it's a lot of fun at the shows and this show has a big car show to

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 11:29 PM
I would also need for you to explain how you said I should hook it all up. I was thinking maybe I would just do in myself. I know what to do. I use to do some of this stuff at the Cadillac/Chevy dealer when i worked there back in the 90's. I was the accessories MG at one point. Now dealer is gone and it is a vacant lot after 2008 crash and many dealer shut down. Back when we had the Vogue tyres and gold emblem kits and sim-tops. And we also were the first Cadillac dealer that I new of that lowered the cool 2 door Eldorado back then. With 17 or 18 inch wheel and tire. We had Alpha McClean wire wheel company that also did lowering actually do are first few Eldo drop kits. Then when we sold the first few and people were like all wow never saw that and Alph McClean took one to there booth at LA Auto show they took off. And then Eibach springs asked us to borrow a car to get measurements off to start making lower Cadillac spring. They were awesome and we sold a bunch of them cars and trucks. Hey 17 or 18 were the hot item back then. And we did the lowered chevy trucks with bell tech drop kits and Boyd wheels.

So I think I can save some $ and do it myself. I can just use the wiring that's there now. I will check though if there in good shape or not and replace if needed. I think it would be mostly just R&R from old to new.

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Well I don't know how far Covina is from Lancaster or lake perris. But your more than welcome to come hang out with the wife and myself it's a lot of fun at the shows and this show has a big car show to

Oh i live about oh 1 hr from Perris and about 1 1/2 from Lancaster. Easier to drive to Perris. If you look on Google map I am near 10 and 57 fwy Near Pomona were the fair grounds are and they have the Drag races. Coming from N CA you may pass right by me off 210 or 10 to get out to Perris. You may go what 5 fwy down or 101 and then to 10 or 210 fwy Unless you go a different way

mylows10
03-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Oh i live about oh 1 hr from Perris and about 1 1/2 from Lancaster. Easier to drive to Perris. If you look on Google map I am near 10 and 57 fwy Near Pomona were the fair grounds are and they have the Drag races. Coming from N CA you may pass right by me off 210 or 10 to get out to Perris. You may go what 5 fwy down or 101 and then to 10 or 210 fwy Unless you go a different way

Nope down 5 to 210

stephgirl
03-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Nope down 5 to 210

Well you will pass right by me then I live between 10 and 210 off Grand few exit before 57

mylows10
03-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Well you will pass right by me then I live between 10 and 210 off Grand few exit before 57

Cool well I'll have the cdt speakers shipped out tomorrow. The adapters will be a day or two later but everything should be there by sat

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Cool well I'll have the cdt speakers shipped out tomorrow. The adapters will be a day or two later but everything should be there by sat

ok great. I don't know how long for the amps but i think there coming from NJ area

So I feel good that I got a good deal on amps and speakers. I just wanted new equipment that was going to last many more yrs. Like I said I want to start fixing up my truck because it is starting to look old but it has a new motor and it runs great and it is paid off and low insurance and so on. It is paying me back now. It is starting to need a paint job soon but i can get a decent basic one down the street at local body shop for few hundred dollars or so.

Thanks

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Well I think Amish Mafia is on tonight. I have to see what happens next. WOW don't mess with the Amish

Thanks again

mylows10
03-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Well I think Amish Mafia is on tonight. I have to see what happens next. WOW don't mess with the Amish

Thanks again

No prob Steph. If you come to lake perris look myself and the wife up we have a gray and maroon quick shade and I'll be one of the judges

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 02:26 PM
I just wanted to say I'm sorry for taking up so much space on this post with my back and forth with MyLow10 on are negotiations. I did not realize there was a PM on here, I'm new here. Could of done the PM with MyLow10.

But I knew if I took my time and posted on this forum and asked question and took the time to research and shop I would eventually find something I would be happy with. I am grateful to MyLow10 for the help. Your wife must love you. Well I guess shivery is still alive in some men. All you guys take note. Thanks to you ALL that posted and helped. If it was not for NEO that mentioned about Boston Acoustics, I may still be looking Thanks NEO.

Also, sorry Slo_Ride there will not be any nekkid pics. But I will still be around. Thanks again MyLow10

Stephanie

mylows10
03-11-2014, 02:36 PM
I just wanted to say I'm sorry for taking up so much space on this post with my back and forth with MyLow10 on are negotiations. I did not realize there was a PM on here, I'm new here. Could of done the PM with MyLow10.

But I knew if I took my time and posted on this forum and asked question and took the time to research and shop I would eventually find something I would be happy with. I am grateful to MyLow10 for the help. Your wife must love you. Well I guess shivery is still alive in some men. All you guys take note. Thanks to you ALL that posted and helped. If it was not for NEO that mentioned about Boston Acoustics, I may still be looking Thanks NEO.

Also, sorry Slo_Ride there will not be any nekkid pics. But I will still be around. Thanks again MyLow10

Stephanie

No problem Steph. And thank you. Everything should be on its way today. I'll have tracking numbers for you also. The adapters will prolly be there tomorrow. And the speakers in a day or two at most

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 03:00 PM
No problem Steph. And thank you. Everything should be on its way today. I'll have tracking numbers for you also. The adapters will prolly be there tomorrow. And the speakers in a day or two at most

Ok thanks. Yes shipping should only be 2 day, 3 at the most anywhere in CA You ship UPS?.

Hey thanks for the offer to hang out with you as the Perris show, Your a judge wow. like I said I promised my Mom to set up her new Dell computer this weekend and you know how long that can take, Download all the new OS updates and installing software and then transfer files over so on. Plus I said I don't have anyone to go with. And I'm not as pretty as those Manufacture promo model girls that do the photo shoots for the products. It sounds fun. though

Stephanie

mylows10
03-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Should be ups and ontrac shipping The offer still stands. It's a lot of fun. Just sayin

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 04:52 PM
I did not know this but Boston Acoustics is leaving the car Audio business. Hey MyLow10 I just purchased those 2 amps. I should still be fine correct. I think they are still good amps right.

I happened to find it out on internet and was reading many of the postings and comment on web sites. I know it has been a long time for me , being out of the car audio seen. I do remember BA back in the day as a great product, and that is why I chose to go with the amps i purchased. Many of the postings and comments I read on-line did say they will be missed. And how they made some great quality equipment. So that was nice to hear after i just purchased the 2 amps.

Anyway it is done and it is what it is.

I was kind of taken back about reading comments and posting about this new area in car audio and how things have changed. Many dealer posting, commenting on how it is tough to survive in the business these days. And how BA ended up all over internet and not supporting it's dealer. WOW this is really how it's become these days. No wonder many of the major brand names I remember in past are gone. Hifonic, Soundstream, Phenix Gold, Crunch, Alphasonik, MB Quart, PPI, Phase Linear, Orion, Oh i can go on and on. They have sold out and are a cheaper product today. WOW what happened? Many of the brands I just mentioned, I remember having to go to a authorized dealer to purchase the stuff. Some of it ended up on internet or at the swap-meet but very little. But have to say that Internet was not as it is today in 90's. But I understand how things can happen especially when a brand don't support it's dealer and don't stop people from selling unauthorized stuff.
Then great brands like Boston Acoustics drops out of Car Audio. What i was reading, BA had a good following of loyal customers to BA. it was a great brand.

Stephanie

mylows10
03-11-2014, 04:58 PM
I did not know this but Boston Acoustics is leaving the car Audio business. Hey MyLow10 I just purchased those 2 amps. I should still be fine correct. I think they are still good amps right.

I happened to find it out on internet and was reading many of the postings and comment on web sites. I know it has been a long time for me , being out of the car audio seen. I do remember BA back in the day as a great product, and that is why I chose to go with the amps i purchased. Many of the postings and comments I read on-line did say they will be missed. And how they made some great quality equipment. So that was nice to hear after i just purchased the 2 amps.

Anyway it is done and it is what it is.

I was kind of taken back about reading comments and posting about this new area in car audio and how things have changed. Many dealer posting, commenting on how it is tough to survive in the business these days. And how BA ended up all over internet and not supporting it's dealer. WOW this is really how it's become these days. No wonder many of the major brand names I remember in past are gone. Hifonic, Soundstream, Phenix Gold, Crunch, Alphasonik, MB Quart, PPI, Phase Linear, Orion, Oh i can go on and on. They have sold out and are a cheaper product today. WOW what happened? Many of the brands I just mentioned, I remember having to go to a authorized dealer to purchase the stuff. Some of it ended up on internet or at the swap-meet but very little. But have to say that Internet was not as it is today in 90's. But I understand how things can happen especially when a brand don't support it's dealer and don't stop people from selling unauthorized stuff.
Then great brands like Boston Acoustics drops out of Car Audio. What i was reading, BA had a good following of loyal customers to BA. it was a great brand.

Stephanie

From my understanding they will still be doing warranty work Just after all of the new stuff is gone that's it. No more new lines. But you should be fine. Eclipse is also gone. But Fujitsu ten is still around

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 05:16 PM
From my understanding they will still be doing warranty work Just after all of the new stuff is gone that's it. No more new lines. But you should be fine. Eclipse is also gone. But Fujitsu ten is still around

Oh yes Eclipse audio. When I was looking on E-Bay I saw a amp someone was selling. They made great stuff back then too. I remember that had those futuristic all fancy high tech head units right. Hi line stuff. WOW what a sham. But look back even further to the 50' 60's 70' 80's USA used to make a lot of stuff here and quality too but times have changed and seem like almost everything is made over sea's. We invent and engineer them in US but make over there. I guess it has also worked it's way to car audio also. What sad is All this car Audio was what, invented and the shows and competition was founded in USA and then spread to other counties. But then these companies buy out the good stuff and the popular brand names and cheapen them up and manufacture over sea's for the profit and not so much the quality or the brand.

WOW what is let now it a hog-pog of companies owning brand names that where once good. Then you have a few companies left or few new that still have the desire to make quality stuff. but there few. Zed, Sundown, Brax, Helix so on.

mylows10
03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Not much pride in built in USA anymore companies want $50 an hour work for $10 per hour

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Not much pride in built in USA anymore companies want $50 an hour work for $10 per hour

Oh tell me about it. I deal with that at my job

bgowdy31
03-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Its amazing how helpful everyone is and the way the thread fills up with knowledge when a female(no offense OP) posts on this forum. But let a new GUY post here for help and gets the """USE THE SEARCH BUTTON""" the entire thread from everyone........:laugh: thats funny

mylows10
03-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Its amazing how helpful everyone is and the way the thread fills up with knowledge when a female(no offense OP) posts on this forum. But let a new GUY post here for help and gets the """USE THE SEARCH BUTTON""" the entire thread from everyone........:laugh: thats funny

You know what gowdy. That is very true. But it also seems like all the girls have been chased off to. There was like 3 females here at one time. But all are gone but it's nice to see that some girls have an interest in car audio

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 06:00 PM

I said I apologize for what I did. I'm sorry. I just asked for help and did not expect to get special treatment. I'm not like most of the women today that say all this bull about how women are same as men and women rights and i can do it better then men and all that stuff, you guys know what I'm talking about. I still recognize men for men and who they are. I'm sort of old school as you would say. I treat men with respect and I deserve respect as a women back. But I did not ask for special treatment on my post. But I did get help and I appreciate all of it Thank you.

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 06:03 PM
You know what gowdy. That is very true. But it also seems like all the girls have been chased off to. There was like 3 females here at one time. But all are gone but it's nice to see that some girls have an interest in car audio

Mylow10 still has shivery to help a girl out. And you know what? He made a sale too Thanks MYlow10

mylows10
03-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I try. Thanks

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 06:33 PM

Oh and to set the record strait, I did spend about hole day reading many of the posts on this forum and others and chose to post on this one. Still after reading and being out of the know for many years, I was still confused on what was still a good brand and what was not and what had changed. So I posted my question.

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
So you know I have received some very appreciated help and I got my questions and help answered. I feel I have made a good purchase and I am now done

So I say thank you to all on here that helped me. I will still be around and may have questions in the future so for now, I say this tread/post is now over OK

P.S MYlow10 thanks and I will keep in touch ok, I may have some more questions for you.

hispls
03-11-2014, 06:49 PM
So you know I have received some very appreciated help and I got my questions and help answered. I feel I have made a good purchase and I am now done

So I say thank you to all on here that helped me. I will still be around and may have questions in the future so for now, I say this tread/post is now over OK

P.S MYlow10 thanks and I will keep in touch ok, I may have some more questions for you.

Now you must post build log with some pictures when you install.

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Now you must post build log with some pictures when you install.

What!! I have to do that Oh man. It's not like a $5,000 custom install. It is nothing fancy. But I will see what I can do. Pictures of an amp and speakers oh and wire, boy never saw those before:rolleyes: Oh think your funny hu Steph BOOYA

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Ok now back to shopping and looking for pink color wire

bgowdy31
03-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I said I apologize for what I did. I'm sorry. I just asked for help and did not expect to get special treatment. I'm not like most of the women today that say all this bull about how women are same as men and women rights and i can do it better then men and all that stuff, you guys know what I'm talking about. I still recognize men for men and who they are. I'm sort of old school as you would say. I treat men with respect and I deserve respect as a women back. But I did not ask for special treatment on my post. But I did get help and I appreciate all of it Thank you.

Oh theres no need for you to apologize, i wasnt aiming this at you in anyway, and if it appeared that way it is me who should be apologizing to you, so I'm Sorry :cool:. I try to help anyone with anything that i can and have knowledge on. i was just making statement for the usual people on here. theres nothing wrong with asking for help. Everyone has been there, and most people act as if they were born a car audio genius.

bgowdy31
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Oh and to set the record strait, I did spend about hole day reading many of the posts on this forum and others and chose to post on this one. Still after reading and being out of the know for many years, I was still confused on what was still a good brand and what was not and what had changed. So I posted my question.

And gain i am sorry i wasnt aiming that at you in anyway.

bgowdy31
03-11-2014, 07:42 PM

That is also true they always get chased off. I think OP got upset at my post tho. I wasnt meaning anything towards her with it at all.

stephgirl
03-11-2014, 07:48 PM
That is also true they always get chased off. I think OP got upset at my post tho. I wasnt meaning anything towards her with it at all.

Hey Hey what did Rodney King Say Can can can we all just get along. Let it go. lets be friends. It's over

bgowdy31
03-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Hey Hey what did Rodney King Say Can can can we all just get along. Let it go. lets be friends. It's over

lmao....ok my bad

stephgirl
03-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Hello Everyone

Is thought to do an up-date thing here. So I started on Wednesday and so far I am not loving this install. I was hoping to just have to RR some equipment and take my time and by this weekend be done. No where even close. I have to do cutting and cutting and customizing, oh my back hurts. The new rear 6 1/2 speakers that came in the CDT set don't fit and the adapter don't work. I have to send those speakers back. On front component set the 6 1/2 don't quite fit door so I had to cut and, oh did I say cut and customize to make them fit. O crap now the door panel don't fit. I had to, you guest it, cut, customize. I did not want to have to go though all this. I can see if it was at a car audio shop with all the right equipment to make it easy but, I don't have that. I did not have a lot of money to spend but look like I am spending more then I anticipated.

Well I sent back the rear CDT coaxial 6 1/2 speakers and found a Metra adapter that holds a 5 1/4 speaker with a 1 inch tweeter to a 5x7 opening, sweet!!! So I an going to get a CDT 5 1/4 component set and just mount that to the 5x7 Metra plates and WOOO HOOO sweet.

And the two Boston Acoustics amps look nice. I believe I got a good deal on them direct from Boston Acoustics and can't wait to fire them up.

Oh and the original install that this so called good shop did 10 years ago. Do I say more. I had purchased my equipment and took it to a so called local shop that I thought did fairly good work, been there for many years. They had wires laying under my driver dash on key car parts. Like brake pedal return spring and emergency brake shaft. And running over my steering shaft. On the Tacoma trucks they have the emergency brake shaft and it has a notch long way down the top part of the shaft and you can put your fingers and feel the spring there and the wire was just laying on it. And they also had wire tie-strap to my main brake pedal return spring. What!!! Do I go on. Oh this is good one, They had on my head unit the read RCA channels, they had only one channel plugged in and they had a Y adapter connected to make it into a 2 channel to my amp.
OH and I am scared when the time comes to tune on system to see if they did not brake the other channel on my head unit and that it why they put the Y adaptor there to make it into a 2 channel. The other RCA channel does look kind of pushed in but I will find out when I check it.

As I said, in past years I did some installs at the car dealer I worked at and I NEVER EVER attached anything to a safety issue item. I guess I an lucky that nothing ever happened and the wires did not got caught in the brake or steering or something. I hope that professionals in the industry and maybe the Car Audio industry would clamp down on shops that do such crappy jobs. It just make the car audio industry look bad. Many of you know what I'm talking about. So now I have to change out old wire and install new stuff and re-run it properly up under the dash and so forth throughout the truck. And that takes time to do it right. They also had wire just running right under the carpet where people put there feet. Have you ever seen what happens when something like wire that has a current get chafed or rubbed open from rubbing. Yes it can happen. Think about it. People put there feet there and move them around and the constant rubbing on the metal floor can rub that wire open and cause a short. Is it so hard to run the wire up and out of the way. I can just imagine these days with all the electronics in cars today. You need to be extra cautious where you run or attach your wire.

When I eventually finish this Oh man it better kick ***. I may have to enter the sound off shows, Well maybe not but, a trophy for effort maybe

I been spending my time on this install that I forgot all about my home made beer I need to bottle. It has been fermenting now for over 2 weeks. Go to get them bottled.

And for you guys that said I need to do a install log, you know who you are. The one's that have never seen a RCA cable or an amplifier or a speaker, so on, you know who you are. LOL I did take some photos.

Back to work bye

Stephanie

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Hello everyone, its me again. You have not heard from me in a wile because i did finish the install and a short time later have been very busy with work. But i'm back with some more help needed again.

Ok, I did list in my install I had some kicker Substation KS60 6 1/2' subs in my little truck. And owned them for years and they sounded nice and have held up. But I have always kept my eye open for some KS80 8" ( why did kicker ever discontinue the tube KS series subs, they got great reviews) For me I had a small 04 Xcab tacoma and did not want to take up all my rear cab space with subs. So the KS60 were perfect. One of the things i liked about them, the flat bottom so not to roll around. And I just lay them down connect the wire and off I go. And I have had to take them out time to time to put things in or even a passenger in back. Easy to put in and out.

So to my question. I just purchased a pair of KS80 8" tube substations (old school) off e-bay from two different people that were selling (1 each) so picked up both. they are shipping out today to me. They said they were in good condition. Ok maybe. Everyone has there own opinion on what good condition is. So i just want to be po-active and post here to find out, if the subwoofer speakers are not that good and maybe just tired, I would like to replace them with new subs in the box and need some good intell on what brand or model of replacement sub 8" speaker could be put in there.

Heads up. I just last nite e-mailed Kicker to see what they recommended for replacement. Got e-mail reply , Comp 8" they said. Ok so checked on them, Oh well the original specs KS80 (see link) Kicker Product Manuals | KICKER (http://www.kicker.com/Product_Manuals/96/358) Had a spec of 150rms and the new comp 8" has a rms on sub as 100rms. Hummm why would i want to replace a higher watt rms with a lower watt rms. Would you think to always in most cases go up watts then down. I would think to replace with same or even go up watts rms.

And for you posters on here that say " look at and read older posts for your answer" i did read some. One person commented that the old sub in the KS tube was made by Credance. Looked up that brand name and nothing found. Did find a brand named Cadence audio. (heard of them) Maybe original poster just spelled it wrong. Maybe there was a company named Credance. Poster said, that this company still made the sub a few years ago and maybe still today maybe but not sure, same sub but without the Kicker cone logo. Also I guess you need to make sure you have a replacement sub for the specs of the box also. Just not any sub 8" will work and sound good. I did as i stated in my original post get the 2 Boston Acoustic Amps. I did replace the GT-274 with the GTA-802. Purchased direct from BA Factory refurbished for $80 and free shipping could not pass that up. All I have read on BA amps has been nothing but good. They have plenty of power and should not be an issue to power a decent 8" sub. I will try out the KS80 to make sure they work well and sound good but, i am kind of leaning to replace them original subs in the box. Now that you have my question.

Any help on a 8" sub that would work as a replacement in that tube box. Brands or model numbers will help. Also I don't want to spend a gold coin on a set of new replacement subs ether. But I don't want rockstar swap-meet subs ether. yes I know your going to ask, what is your budget. ok maybe no more them $100 each, less if possible. Like my original post earlier this year, I plane to kept this truck and sound system many more years if possible. Ok now fire away with recommendations.

Thanks Stephanie

Jeffdachef
10-13-2014, 07:17 PM
you can get an alpine type R 8, they arent too picky with subwoofer boxes.

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 07:34 PM
thanks

I looked at it and it looks nice but over budget. I bet the alpine sound good but i don't want to pay over $100 and would more like pay under that. I did check out the Comp 8" and it can be had for $50 to $60. Any others, there are many many subs on the market. someone has to have just the right one. I did sent a follow up e-mail back to Kicker about the Cadence or Credance however spelled, and asked them about it. I will let you know what they say. I have just been looking on Cadence website and the 8" subs. Nice stuff

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Ok well since I had posted my question I have been searching internet and looking at different 8" subs for this box. WOW just so many to choose from and to find the right one. Single voice coil 4 ohm, dual voice coil, 2 ohm, coil dual 2 and 4 ohm, ohm and coil, this magnet and that power rms, Man oh man am i confused. I have seen many decent or maybe not, brands from anywhere from $50 to say $90 is a good place to start looking.

I have Seen, Rockford Fosgate, RE Audio, JBL, Planet Audio, Lanzar, Kicker, MTX, Infinity, SoundStream, Cerwin Vega, Polk, Pyle, Boss, AudioPipe, Crunch, Power Acoustic, Massive Audio, Sundown, MB Quart, Image Dynamics, Bass Master, (oh no bass master made that up) Get my point? Many Many brands. What oh what will work well and sound good for years to come.

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Ok well since I had posted my question I have been searching internet and looking at different 8" subs for this box. WOW just so many to choose from and to find the right one. Single voice coil 4 ohm, dual voice coil, 2 ohm, coil dual 2 and 4 ohm, ohm and coil, this magnet and that power rms, Man oh man am i confused. I have seen many decent or maybe not, brands from anywhere from $50 to say $90 is a good place to start looking.

I have Seen, Rockford Fosgate, RE Audio, JBL, Planet Audio, Lanzar, Kicker, MTX, Infinity, SoundStream, Cerwin Vega, Polk, Pyle, Boss, AudioPipe, Crunch, Power Acoustic, Massive Audio, Sundown, MB Quart, Image Dynamics, Bass Master, (oh no bass master made that up) Get my point? Many Many brands. What oh what will work well and sound good for years to come.

As for 8s the type R is ok. Sundown, and digital designs. ID is good also. That's about as far as I would go for 8s.

keep_hope_alive
10-13-2014, 09:20 PM

thanks for following up.

My recommendation is to get an exact replacement. that means a NOS (new old stock) Kicker sub replacement. If you want to get a new sub as a replacement in the original enclosure then it's time to start studying T/S parameters for existing vs new.

i've had good luck with ID subs but i haven't tried installing them in Kicker Substations enclosures.

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 10:37 PM
T/S Parameters. Oh no That is why I ask you guys help this girl.

I said I have e-mailed kicker and he recommended Comp8. I would guess that means he has no NOS (new old stock) Trust me i would of purchased them if he would of said he had NOS. But i did not ask. I know sometimes you just have to ask because, some may not use there brain to tell you.

I guess I will just have to send a new e-mail and ask. Does anyone know the story on this post I read about Credence or Cadence making the original subs for this box. maybe I would have to e-mail them and ask too. Maybe be luck and they have 2 that are the same as original just without the Kicker logo. It was here in Car Audio forum that I read it. Have to find it again.
I have recently been looking after installing this new sound system to maybe upgrade the subwoofers but, I just have not found any manufacture that makes anything equivalent. They are ether square boxes or the Bazooka tubes thing. Found a few tubes but very expensive or there too large 10 or 12" or there the cheap brand Pyle. Remember I still would like to use my X-cab not just full of bass.

Oh look I found my new subwoofer for my truck see link http://www.cadencesound.com/dcx34w/

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Get a box built. It's not much money and will outdo any prefab you can buy. Way better than factory prefabs

keep_hope_alive
10-13-2014, 10:46 PM
the kicker guy you emailed will tell you to buy a new product not because it's a perfect fit - but because that is their business. Kicker in the 90's is not the same quality as kicker today, sad to say.

I agree your best bet is to have a sub custom made for your application.

This is what JL Audio did for the 1996-2004 Xcabs
Car Audio - Stealthbox® - Toyota - Tacoma - Toyota Tacoma Xtracab '96-'04 (http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-stealthbox-toyota-tacoma-toyota-tacoma-xtracab-96-04)

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mfg/9013/product_image/thm/t298_x1_4e9a5d8c79fa06b40178722e2da39200.jpg?14132 37629

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Now its build a box. The exact one again. Hope your not referring to some big square thing in my exta cab NO WAY. then tell me what you think it would cost to build the exact type of box.

keep_hope_alive
10-13-2014, 10:49 PM
Now its build a box. The exact one again. Hope your not referring to some big square thing in my exta cab NO WAY. then tell me what you think it would cost to build the exact type of box.

you can just buy the JL Audio StealthBox and be done with it.

We'll admit that this truck made us scratch our heads for a while. There simply isn't any wasted space in the interior of the Tacoma, making subwoofer box placement difficult (but not impossible).

This unusual design locates a 10-inch subwoofer for optimal loading without affecting the operation of your jump seats or access to your rear storage compartments. The Stealthbox® itself even acts as a comfortable armrest for rear seat passengers.

The Hard Data: Contains one 10W3v3-2 in a sealed, down-firing enclosure. 500 watt power handling. Wired for 2 ohm mono. Installs between rear jump seats. Will not affect front or rear seat comfort. Creates a useful armrest for rear seat passengers and will not affect access to the storage compartments under the rear seats. Will not fit Standard Cab or Double Cab Tacoma.

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Or you can get a molded fiberglass box made for less than the JL.

keep_hope_alive
10-13-2014, 10:53 PM
or you can have a custom center console/armrest made that also properly loads the sub (down/firing flare behind the front seats).

keep_hope_alive
10-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Or you can get a molded fiberglass box made for less than the JL.

possibly less, shops charge a hefty penny for custom enclosures. and you can't say all of them will outperform the JL.

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 10:59 PM
yes I just looked at it on JL Audio. First impressions. some guy with a big nose. second $ 649 :uhoh: Don't look like it would be to easy to take out if I had too.

Back to my, just replace to speakers cheapest way to go.

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 11:02 PM
If you just want to change the speaker I bet that box you have is to small for a 8. You could add a baffle and put a good 6.5 sub in it and be better than any kicker 8.

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 11:04 PM
See if you have a dealer. Most sell this for $125-150.
SW6.5 | DD Audio (http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobile-audio/woofers/sw65)

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 11:08 PM
A 6.5 I already have 2 of the original KS60 in there now. They have been awesome over the years and thought to maybe someday move up to some KS80. And I just happened to fine the 2 people on e-bay selling them and bought them. They will be here by the end of the week.

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 11:20 PM
That's a sub not a mid.

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 11:22 PM
I am on DD website now. Like I said , the sellers said that there in good condition. That means different to different people. But please don't get me wrong or miss understand that I do thank everyone for the help I get here on Car Audio forum. I come here for help and advice. I as a girl do have my ways but I take all into account and then make my decision. I don't know how they will sound till i hook them up this weekend. If they sound bad or tired I will look to replace them. I have to say I like the original tube box with the flat bottom. Easy out and in. No mounting they just don't move or shift around and take up much room.

So lets get back to replacement speakers if i need too. what should I look for in a replacement. I would love to replace or add some high quality high line subs, oh my wallet just told me no. So I will have to look just a little bit under that for something nice. come on help me out here

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Nobody is going to tell you stick a random sub in that box. It don't work that way. We don't even know it's specs and older subs are not the same. They are high efficency, the new stuff normally isn't. The new stuff can play lower with more authority but also needs more power to do so. It's a trade off.

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 11:35 PM
i understand

What if i find some specs on it will that help?

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Basic measurements and wood thickness would be a start. I honestly don't think you will find a decent 8 that's going to work right.

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 11:40 PM
http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/KSMan.pdf

Jeffdachef
10-13-2014, 11:41 PM
thanks

I looked at it and it looks nice but over budget. I bet the alpine sound good but i don't want to pay over $100 and would more like pay under that. I did check out the Comp 8" and it can be had for $50 to $60. Any others, there are many many subs on the market. someone has to have just the right one. I did sent a follow up e-mail back to Kicker about the Cadence or Credance however spelled, and asked them about it. I will let you know what they say. I have just been looking on Cadence website and the 8" subs. Nice stuff

My bad i thought you only wanted 1 8" for under 100. If you need 2, then the quality of your sub choices will go down by a lot. For strict budget purposes, theres skar IX8, RE audio REX 8 and even lanzar max 8(i know its lanzar but a lot of people say its pretty good for a dirt cheap low budget sub.)

For those boxes though i'd recommend putting them in, if you dont like it then seal off the ports and turn it into a sealed enclosure. Keep in mind, this is extremely low budget solution and levels of success will definitely vary. If you want to do things right, these other guys are pointing you in the right direction.

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 11:44 PM
sorry , clarify under $100 each would be willing to go no more then $100 each, NOT $100 for both need two speakers.

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 11:50 PM
http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/KSMan.pdf

Doesn't have the airspace. You are better off just letting it go and go custom. You can put any sub in there that fits but it's not going to sound right at all. It will give you bass but it's going to be peaky and struggle to play under 40hz.

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 11:51 PM
You could do 1 of those 6.5s in a good box and be better off than before. That would only be around $250 for sub and box. It will surprise you.

stephgirl
10-13-2014, 11:52 PM
I did hear some decent stuff of RE Audio brand. They were or merged or something like that with old school U.S. Amp company. I remember them back in the day and U.S. Amp was high line. I was looking at there website earlier today. They even talk about U.S. Amp's , amplifiers (http://reaudio.com/info/aboutus.php). Oh and i saw that there company is not far from were i live. In back yard for say.

NoLoud4U
10-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Us amps and RE have gone way down hill. The old owners of re opened PSI(pink star industry's and Fi)

Jeffdachef
10-13-2014, 11:58 PM
If its like that, i'd just get a single proper 8, and spend the rest on an enclosure.

The subs i listed will just work, but they definitely wont have the wow factor.

stephgirl
10-14-2014, 12:13 AM
I have to say. I have learned a lot back earlier this year when i was posting on here about my original system to build. And how the industry has changed. Brands I used to know back in the day that were good and high line are no more and some other new brands have come along that are good and top line and quality. I remember back in the day going to some of the shows and the auto shows and seeing and hearing some of the car audio brands that people said were not so good and middle to low. Example humm think, oh Power Acoustic, or say Boss audio. I used to here some of the different brands demo cars at the shows and they sounded pretty nice and loud. It was that they were all installed right and matched up and things like that and that so called cheap or middle line company sounded good . So I don't always count out a decent brand just so I can spend high line $ and say I have this or that. Hey it is good for some to buy only top line stuff and others are ok with something less expensive that sounds good also. I bet that if you were to hear a demo car of say RE audio brand equipment or say power Acoustic or Lanzar or any of the middle of the road brands today and the system was all set right and install right and so on , it would sound nice.

I think you get my points here. it is not always how much $ you spend but if it is matched up right or installed right. I many of you have heard or experienced the horror stories of someone spending and purchasing high line equipment only to have it sound like crap from a junk install.

NoLoud4U
10-14-2014, 12:15 AM
I have to say. I have learned a lot back earlier this year when i was posting on here about my original system to build. And how the industry has changed. Brands I used to know back in the day that were good and high line are no more and some other new brands have come along that are good and top line and quality. I remember back in the day going to some of the shows and the auto shows and seeing and hearing some of the car audio brands that people said were not so good and middle to low. Example humm think, oh Power Acoustic, or say Boss audio. I used to here some of the different brands demo cars at the shows and they sounded pretty nice and loud. It was that they were all installed right and matched up and things like that and that so called cheap or middle line company sounded good . So I don't always count out a decent brand just so I can spend high line $ and say I have this or that. Hey it is good for some to buy only top line stuff and others are ok with something less expensive that sounds good also. I bet that if you were to hear a demo car of say RE audio brand equipment or say power Acoustic or Lanzar or any of the middle of the road brands today and the system was all set right and install right and so on , it would sound nice.

I think you get my points here. it is not always how much $ you spend but if it is matched up right or installed right. I many of you have heard or experienced the horror stories of someone spending and purchasing high line equipment only to have it sound like crap from a junk install.

It's called a polished turd. You can only polish it so much. I've heard a lot of company demo cars. Soundstream, planet audio, rockford, ect. They pleased the newbs for sure. I thought they where horrible.

stephgirl
10-14-2014, 12:43 AM
funny you made me laugh thanks

NoLoud4U
10-14-2014, 12:51 AM
You are dead on though. You can make good stuff sound bad but if you take the same time with good stuff it will really outperform not so good stuff. With high end you get more than just loud or just sound quality you get both. A lot of people don't get that until they experiance it first hand. Their initial thought is its just overpriced.

stephgirl
10-14-2014, 01:06 AM
oh no I do understand that you get what you pay for. I understand that if you spend for high end you get more. But it is just that some of it is just out of some peoples hands and have to buy what they can afford or budget for. best of what they can afford. That is why I do seam to see that a lot of the high end brands do also have a affordable line of speakers too.

NoLoud4U
10-14-2014, 01:17 AM
oh no I do understand that you get what you pay for. I understand that if you spend for high end you get more. But it is just that some of it is just out of some peoples hands and have to buy what they can afford or budget for. best of what they can afford. That is why I do seam to see that a lot of the high end brands do also have a affordable line of speakers too.

Most of the time those affordable lines are very cheap Chinese parts assembled by 6 year olds. That's why if you are on a budget you get more with less. One good sub in a good proper box will out do multible cheap ones in a off the shelf box.

stephgirl
10-14-2014, 01:26 AM
That is why I opted to spend a little more earlier this year on the CDT speakers and the Boston Acoustics amps. I did spend lot on what I could afford and budget and with the new Clarion deck too. This time around I was not really looking but came across the 2 KS80 substations and had to get them. They are hard to find these days. Now I am looking possibly if the old speakers are tired to replace them But i just can't afford the high end stuff right now , have other expenses and things to do. That is why i turned to my friends here on Car Audio forum for help on a decent set if needed to replace the old ones. Hope you all understand.

I do like and need a nice sounding system for my long drives some time for work.

stephgirl
10-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Oh I did get a reply back from Kicker here is the e-mail

That is correct, they did make the speakers for those units but unfortunately we do not have anything left over. As far as them possibly having some of those left over, that’s not likely since we owned all the rights to those speakers they wouldn’t have been able to keep any of them. Unfortunately the Comp 8” woofer that I mentioned earlier is the best solution.

Thanks,

Anthony Alfonso

Tech Support Specialist

[email protected]

PH:405.533.7249

FX:405.533.7022

Sent: Monday, October 13, 2014 8:36 PM
To: Anthony Alfonso
Subject: RE: Kicker 8" SubStations KS80

Anthony

I just read on Car Audio forum that the original KS80 speakers were made by Credance speaker company, Is this true? Do you Kicker or Credance have any NOS (new old stock). The poster on the forum said he remembered that Credance back then made the speaker for Kicker and put the kicker cone logo on there. He also said that he remember that Credance still made the speaker few years back and maybe still today. Is this story all true. And what about any original stock from Kicker or Credance to replace the speakers.

Stephanie

NoLoud4U
10-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Just get a good 8 and a real box built. You will be better off than before. I'll link you a very good one, one of the only underhung 8s you can still get.

NoLoud4U
10-14-2014, 04:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/SD-2-D4-Sundown-4-Ohms-Subwoofer/dp/B00EVZLMU2

Contact this guy for a box. Box Guy: Custom subwoofer boxes | speaker box design (http://www.davetheboxguy.com/)

Louisiana_CRX
10-24-2014, 04:17 AM
That is why I opted to spend a little more earlier this year on the CDT speakers and the Boston Acoustics amps. I did spend lot on what I could afford and budget and with the new Clarion deck too. This time around I was not really looking but came across the 2 KS80 substations and had to get them. They are hard to find these days. Now I am looking possibly if the old speakers are tired to replace them But i just can't afford the high end stuff right now , have other expenses and things to do. That is why i turned to my friends here on Car Audio forum for help on a decent set if needed to replace the old ones. Hope you all understand.

I do like and need a nice sounding system for my long drives some time for work.

I think I have a few new KS80 replacement subs left in my collection

stephgirl
11-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Louisiana_CRX

I have been out of town up in Seattle WA working and just got home and looked at your reply. Can you check if you have any of the KS80 substation woofers in you collection and if you do, what is the status of them. New Old Stock or used or what. Just an update on the old school Kicker KS80 substations i got. I looked them over when I got them. I got one each from two different sellers on e-bay i said. One tube is like new and the other is medium looking with some wear on it. The metal cover has a small dent in it but it don't effect the sound. I did plug them in and they do sound fine.

So Louisiana_CRX please reply back and let me know what you have. I may be interested in purchasing them from you. If they are used and in maybe same condition as what I have now it may be not worth buying. But if they are new old stock maybe yes and just replace the ones I have now and save old one's then for future.

Let me know

Stephanie