PDA

View Full Version : Need Rear Speaker Recommendations

llangston1
03-04-2014, 11:55 PM
My '87 911 came with a set of Fostex RP-1 rear speakers which are a plate type of speaker containing a 4 ohm 5.25" mid range and a separate planar tweeter. One of the mid range speakers has died and started buzzing. I bought a set of inexpensive 5.25" mid range speakers off of Amazon to attempt to replace the buzzing speaker. However after wiring it up and connecting it to my system the new speaker has nowhere near the sound quality and capability of the remaining Fostex speaker. Basically the new speakers have no bass and no loudness compared to the old speaker. The Amazon speakers are a bust so I probably just need to replace the rear speaker system. My predicament is that the rear deck of my 911 has 4X6 cutouts but the Fostex plate speakers are closer to a 5x8 speaker that was mounted on top of the rear leather deck using the original 4x6 mounting rings underneath the deck. So my deck has a permanent impression in the leather that will be visible if i return to the original 4x6 speakers. Can anyone recommend a good 5X7 system that would mount to some sort of spacer so they will mount onto of my deck. I say 5x7 because 6x9s just look way too large on the rear deck. So whatever i get needs to come with speaker grills ( the plainer the better, no flashing skulls please) and be able to mount to some sort of spacer to all me to mount it above my rear deck. My head unit is a JVC-BT-50 with MB quart 6.5" components in the front doors. Suggestions please?

garychoffmann
03-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Do you have the old mid? It can be rebuilt.

llangston1
03-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Yes i still have the old speakers. I assumed it would be cheaper to enlace the whole set than trying to rebuild the buzzing one. Plus you would think that technology has progressed a lot since the early 90s. Who or where should I take or send it to get it rebuilt? What sort of cost would be involved? I live in the Houston, Tx area.

Side Show
03-05-2014, 11:09 PM
disconnect the rears all-together, and upgrade the front speakers with more pwr.