PDA

View Full Version : Can a shallow sub perform well in a ported box?

DTSGUY
03-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Hello everyone, Im new here. Ive had many systems in my vehicles over the years and Ive recently purchased a 2010 Dodge Journey. Im wanting to put a decent system in. Ive decided to go with the Kenwood Excelon XR-W10F its a shallow sub. Powering it Im gonna use a Rockford Fosgate Power Series 500x1 Mono Amp. Im having a custom box made in the storage compartment area in the back of the car. I wanted to have the box ported but the guy told me that ALL shallow subs should be in a sealed box or they wont perform well at all. I never heard this from anyone else and I was wondering if its true or not. Im wanting to get the most out of it as I can. I do like some boom however I know its a shallow sub and Im not gonna get as much boom out of it as I would a regular sub but some boom would be nice. Please Help

FUKAZ28
03-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Subscribing

bbeljefe
03-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Please tell me the person who told you that isn't a professional in the car audio industry.

ANY sub can perform well in the correct ported enclosure with the correct amount of power. Some may perform better in a sealed box but then we have to consider that "better" is relative to a number of things, including power handling, excursion, distortion, et al.