PDA

View Full Version : Should i bother adding 2oz of polyfill for 0.12ft^3 displacement? If so free float?

scheibler
02-21-2014, 04:12 PM
So I just bought a 15" Boston G2 subwoofer that recommends a 2ft^3 sealed enclosure after displacement. Using a displacement calculator it looks like my sub displaces about 0.12ft^3. You think I should add a little bit of polyfill? Read 1lb of polyfill = 1cu ft box so I'd only need about 2oz of polyfill. If I should use it should I glue it to the sides or just let the 2oz float free?

trumpet
02-21-2014, 04:18 PM
No, don't put in just 2 oz of polyfill. That's not going to do anything at all. Make sure the sealed enclosure recommendation doesn't already include woofer displacement.

You could get the rolled polyfill, flatten it and staple it to line the walls.

T3mpest
02-21-2014, 04:20 PM
No, don't put in just 2 oz of polyfill. That's not going to do anything at all. Make sure the sealed enclosure recommendation doesn't already include woofer displacement.

You could get the rolled polyfill, flatten it and staple it to line the walls.

This! Even using half a bag or so might be useful. Polyfill does NOT make a box actually bigger, but it will reduce the system Q, so it may take away some ringing from the upper bass notes. If you like a smooth sound with strong low end, that'd be the way to go, if you want something a bit peaky and punchier, no fill.

scheibler
02-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Says the recommended enclosure includes basket displacement. Would fill or no fill be better for alternative/rock/rap? Guess I'll start with no fill once my amp gets here

T3mpest
02-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Not going to make one heck of a difference. I'd go no fill and if it sounds too boomy for you, go ahead and throw in half a bag, won't be night and day, but it's a nice tweak sometimes.