PDA

View Full Version : Rear tweeters have no sound

rawaits
02-19-2014, 03:00 PM
I have a relatively new Ford 2012 F250 and recently changed the 4 5x7s to Polk Dxi571's and it sounded a lot better. So I then changed the front tweeters to Alpine SPS-110TW 's and it sounded even better. I then was going to change out the rear tweeters (in the rear doors), and happened to put my ear to them and no sound. They are still factory. Unfortunately, I had not listened to these ever before so don't know if they were working before the project was begun. It still has the Nav/Sync factory head. Question - is it possible that the Alpine tweeters installed in the front somehow robbed the signal for the rear tweeters (I removed the Ford front tweeter crossovers, replacing them with crossovers that came with the Alpine tweeters)? Fyi, the rear tweeters have no crossover device - there are just 2 wires to each of them. Thank you in advance. Rick

Side Show
02-20-2014, 03:06 AM
ummmm, that's really confusing.... so when you got the truck it had splits front and rear with crossovers? then you just swapped the mid for new speakers?

rawaits
02-22-2014, 11:49 AM
THe truck came with 4 5x7 Ford speakers and 4 Ford Tweeters. THe front 2 tweeters had crossover networks and the rear 2 tweeters(the ones with no sound) were straight wired (no crosovers)

rawaits
02-22-2014, 01:43 PM
i realized i didnt answer the question. Yes i changed out all the 5x7s and the fron 2 tweeters. i removed the ford front tweeters and their ford crossovers and replaced them with alpine tweeters and the accompanying alpine crossovers. I wonder if the rear tweets are supposed to have crossovers and they werent installed by mistake during manufacturing. i tested a new alpine tweeter (with crossaover) to see if it would deliver sound from those rear doors wires, and it doesnt, so the question remains - did i do something to eliminate the signals to the rear tweeters/ also since i have not removed the ford rear tweeters, will ford warrant or void - I am assuming ford would not look at the speakers that are working and thus not discover they are changed. but if they did would they not warrant the radio or amp bc i changed speakers, as its the radio or amp that is what is looking like what is wrong?

keep_hope_alive
02-22-2014, 05:17 PM
likely, you disconnected the wires that feed those tweeters. they will have crossovers, but they can be mounted to the back of the tweeter (tiny capacitor).

the rear tweeters should use the crossovers that come with them and the crossover input is the rear woofer anyway.

rawaits
02-22-2014, 06:16 PM
i realized i didnt answer the question. Yes i changed out all the 5x7s and the fron 2 tweeters. i removed the ford front tweeters and their ford crossovers and replaced them with alpine tweeters and the accompanying alpine crossovers. I wonder if the rear tweets are supposed to have crossovers and they werent installed by mistake during manufacturing. i tested a new alpine tweeter (with crossaover) to see if it would deliver sound from those rear doors wires, and it doesnt, so the question remains - did i do something to eliminate the signals to the rear tweeters/ also since i have not removed the ford rear tweeters, will ford warrant or void - I am assuming ford would not look at the speakers that are working and thus not discover they are changed. but if they did would they not warrant the radio or amp bc i changed speakers, as its the radio or amp that is what is looking like what is wrong?

rawaits
02-22-2014, 06:18 PM
i dont see how i disconnected bc i just went to each other speaker and replaced it. I am thinking about uninstalling the alpine tweeters and reinstalling the old ford front tweeters with ford crossover to see if sound comes back to the rear tweeters.