PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on components for my GTI mkV

MkVwGuy
02-18-2014, 11:10 PM
I've been an avid reader on this forum but never joined until now so 1st post! I haven't been receiving the feedback I was hoping for from vwvortex and myfastgti forums that I am a longtime member/contributor of. Here's my "dilemma"....

The GTI mkV's are fitted with 6.5" / 4" / 1" in the front (terrible positioning btw). I would like anyone's advice on the following 3-way components (both SQ and fitment [if you know off hand]):
Hertz HSK 163
Hertz ESK 163L
Focal Access 165 A3
JL Audio C5 653

Next question, Audiocontrol DQ-61 or Audison Bit Ten and why?

I'm planning on using my old RF Fanatic X FNX2614 2-way's in the rear

I also have my sights set on a JL Audio HD600/4 amp to power it all

Any advise would be much appreciated!

tommydh
02-18-2014, 11:19 PM
I have a Mini tat has similar set up from factory I opted to simply go with a normal 2 way set up but on Northamericanmotoring alot of guys went with the focal set and good reviews. I originally used the audio control Lc-6i no experience with the audison unit or that ac model but the reviews on it look pretty good. Im guessing your budget for the build is not reaslly an issue factoring those pieces dont come cheap.

trumpet
02-19-2014, 11:00 AM
I would suggest a different route with the front speakers. We can discuss options if you'd like.

mylows10
02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
I agree Barry. The front components in his car are kind of a weird combination with the 6.5,4,&1 I think op. Most of your options you stated are 6.5,3,&1 so you'll need to either upgrade the small mid. Which most companies won't do. So you'll need to buy it extra if they have the 4" mid

MkVwGuy
02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
I would suggest a different route with the front speakers. We can discuss options if you'd like.

PM Sent

MrFoca
02-19-2014, 01:33 PM
It's funny we metered the factory system in my VW CC Saturday night just for the kicks of it. I was shocked It did a 121.7, And I do not have the Dynaudio package. Maybe the GTI is different tho.

MkVwGuy
02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
It's funny we metered the factory system in my VW CC Saturday night just for the kicks of it. I was shocked It did a 121.7, And I do not have the Dynaudio package. Maybe the GTI is different tho.

The sound isn't that bad (for what it is), it's just the placement of the 6.5 woofer is right at the edge of the door. Having a good 6.5 in there amped is probably going to make it feel like is firing right on my ars.

MrFoca
02-19-2014, 02:33 PM
gotcha. I read on the vortex that people have ran better amps to the factory speakers and said that made a huge difference. Let me know how it turns out.

MkVwGuy
02-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Well I just jumped on a set of Morel Virtus 603's that I found for only $100 more than I was intending to pay for the Focal Access. I'm sure the mounting depth of the 4" speaker is going to be an issue by about 5mm so some shaving might be involved. I'll be running the JL XD400/4 in 2-channel bridged. Still going to install my old RF Fanatic X 2-ways in the rear....not sure whether I want to power them with a small 2-channel amp or not. Some threads I've read say they just leave the rears alone.