PDA

View Full Version : Distortion

TwistedVisions
05-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Okay well i got a new head unit and my speakers sound alot better then before. The only problem is that my 5.25 door speakers have good highs and are clear but when turned up really loud(volume 21) they distort on the bass notes. Far as power goes my head unit is giving 18x4 rms which is feeding my polks 36 watts rms when they have a 45 watt rms limit. So i wouldn't consider it being underpowered unless 9 watts really make a difference??? I need help on what i can do to stop this,like if I need to buy a crossover or add some more spekaers or get new ones. I don't know to much about my controls on my head unit whether or not i can fix the problem there i just got it yesterday :). Well thanks for the reply's..

sumone
05-29-2004, 01:23 PM
it's the HU - for best results at high volumes, an amp is most-likely your best bet.

if the HU does 18x4, that means each channel (aka speaker) is 18watts (assuming you don't have anything special going on with regards to how you hooked the speakers to your HU)

TwistedVisions
05-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Well i feel like a moron i thought when it said "45 watts rms" on the box that it meant thats the combined power of the speakers. Well i went to polkaudio.com and its actually 45 watts rms per speaker. So it is my head unit that is still underpowering them. I think i will just keep these speakers because i was planning on buying an alpine 50x4 rms watt amp and these speakers would be perfect for that amp. Thanks for your help.. :wow: