PDA

View Full Version : First Box, Not Satisfied w/ the Sound - Design Flawed?

anger
02-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Vehicle : 2004 F150 Crew Cab
Location in the vehicle: Center Console - Between front seats
Space available (Length x Width x Height): 34" x 14" x 16"
Subwoofer make and model: Rockford Fosgate P3D4 (x2)
Subwoofer Size: 12"
Number of Subwoofers: 2
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Sealed
What type of music do you like?: Metal & Hip Hop
Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Both?
Tuning Freq (Hz): n/a
Volume : approx 2 cu ft
Questions:

Hey Community, I'll try and keep this short.

I recently purchased a couple RF P3D4 12's, they came in a prefab vented enclosure and sounded OK but I felt I was missing some of that 'snappy', tight bass. So I decided to build a sealed center console enclosure with the drivers firing downward and I'm not too thrilled with the sound I'm getting. Now I feel like I'm missing some of that BOOM...and they just sound underwhelming. So, to my questions.

Is this just to be expected with a sealed enclosure?
Box has an odd internal shape (see pic), could this be causing issues?
Subs are sharing airspace, could this be a problem?
Polyfil lined walls a problem?
Would it make sense to have one ported and one sealed?

Thanks in advance for any insight..and let me know if more info is needed.

bmk6795
02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
I think that box is a little big for those woofers to be sealed. The boom that you are missing is probably because they are sealed, if they were in a ported enclosure you'd have that boom back. As much as you probably dont want to, I'd rebuild and do a custom ported box.

anger
02-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Ya, already planning on building another box but want to get some input here to see what I can do differently or if I did something wrong. Pretty sure RF suggests 1 cu ft per sub for sealed enclosures with the P3. Do you see the box within the box (for the cup holders) causing any problems? Dunno if there should be a consistent shape behind each driver...or if that even makes a difference.

Beef26
02-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Ya the sealed box has to go. Ported all the way

MrFoca
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
I remember seeing a SUV with 2 12's sealed tad over a cube each pulling over a 140 on a term lol. 2 bazooka subs, chill kit with a big pioneer amp. Wonder if you made the box chamber instead of shared if that would help out ? trial & error my friend.

fasfocus00
02-10-2014, 06:51 PM
that enclosure is small for those subs. add some poly fill. for all those saying build ported that sub has an EBP of less than 50 meaning it'll produce better sound in a sealed enclosure. since the EBP is in the 40s it'll still work in a ported enclosure. the recommended enclosure is the minimum volume.

Mass Car Audio
02-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Ya the sealed box has to go. Ported all the way

There is nothing wrong with a sealed box. Do some research before you comment.

logiball
02-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey op shoot me your email address, I just got done building a ported box for 1 sd 10 in my 05 supercrew and its pretty darn loud for what it is. I have a sketch up file here to send u that might give you some ideas.

anger
02-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Hey op shoot me your email address, I just got done building a ported box for 1 sd 10 in my 05 supercrew and its pretty darn loud for what it is. I have a sketch up file here to send u that might give you some ideas.
pm'd.

FUKAZ28
02-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Is this the box you sent me?

supra1987
02-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Do you see the box within the box (for the cup holders) causing any problems?

Yes. As for a sealed enclosure if you've got enough power it should sound pretty good.imo

4bannger
02-10-2014, 09:12 PM
separate the chambers. pollyfill is just used to make the subs think that have more air space then they do. I wouldnt do one sealed on ported......from what i have heard it cause cancellations. I personally think ported is the way to go. you get more output spl on less power. i have always noticed a huge difference between the two as far as spl.

anger
02-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Ok, so assuming I go sealed again with separate chambers, how crucial is it that each sub's interior space is the same shape? (I'd imagine interior volume should be equal?) Wondering if I need to ditch the cup holders, or build them outside of the enclosure.

And if recommended volume is the minimum, is there a general rule of how big/much is too much? Or is it just like MrFoca said..trial n error?

And thanks, everyone, for the input.

logiball
02-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Is this the box you sent me?
Yes it is, I test fit it in the truck tonight and ran some test tones through it from 29hz to 60hz on 1k. The results of the test were as follows: "ZACH YOU ARE 30 YEARS OLD, THAT IS EMBARRASSING, TURN THAT DOWN!" I was in the garage and she was on the other side of the house lol.

FUKAZ28
02-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Yes it is, I test fit it in the truck tonight and ran some test tones through it from 29hz to 60hz on 1k. The results of the test were as follows: "ZACH YOU ARE 30 YEARS OLD, THAT IS EMBARRASSING, TURN THAT DOWN!" I was in the garage and she was on the other side of the house lol.
LMAO, so I'm assuming it passed the test?

hispls
02-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Subs are entry level, box is too small, and center console is really the worst place to actually try to get loud from.

logiball
02-11-2014, 05:49 AM
LMAO, so I'm assuming it passed the test?
Very very well. The port is pretty small but it works. When I bench tested the box the was quite a bit of port noise but when its under the back seat you dont hear it at all.

BackintheGame
02-11-2014, 06:32 AM

Hilarious! This is what goes on at my house everyday. Sometimes they just don't understand. Haha