PDA

View Full Version : RUNNING ACTIVE VS BRIDGING componets

d77543020
02-07-2014, 10:50 AM
what will give me the best quality/loudness,i have a 4 channel and dont run rear speakers

tat2bass
02-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Run active. I have a set of alpine spx17pro's and a rockford p400x4. Rated for 50x4@4 and 200x2@4. But pretty underrated. I first ran them passive and bridged the amp. My headunit goes to volume 62. The passives have a light in them that will light up when the tweets are being pushed to hard and they would light up around volume 45. So I changed to bi amping them and they now sound better, get a lot louder and I can turn it all the way up now.

I am now running active with an 80prs using the tweets with the passives for the protection they provide and using a set of Rockford pro 6" mids. Sounds great and loud.

Will run active from now on

trumpet
02-07-2014, 11:07 AM
You need more than just a 4 channel amplifier and separate mids and tweeters to run active. What other equipment do you have in this system?

bbeljefe
02-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Do you mean running active or passive or, running components on a bridged 4 channel with passive crossovers?

Using passive crossovers isn't bridging.

d77543020
02-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Run active. I have a set of alpine spx17pro's and a rockford p400x4. Rated for 50x4@4 and 200x2@4. But pretty underrated. I first ran them passive and bridged the amp. My headunit goes to volume 62. The passives have a light in them that will light up when the tweets are being pushed to hard and they would light up around volume 45. So I changed to bi amping them and they now sound better, get a lot louder and I can turn it all the way up now.

I am now running active with an 80prs using the tweets with the passives for the protection they provide and using a set of Rockford pro 6" mids. Sounds great and loud.

Will run active from now onthxs ill give it a try

d77543020
02-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Do you mean running active or passive or, running components on a bridged 4 channel with passive crossovers?

Using passive crossovers isn't bridging.well i have a set of componet speakers on the passive crossovers and my 4 channel is bridged what would you call it?i will be getting a 880prs soon

bradl79
02-07-2014, 11:38 AM

Will run active from now on

I kinda do what he is doing i have the tweets running passive. BC i have tweets and imaging tweets on the crossovers and put my mids desperate and it sounds a whole lot better. I even had to decrease the gain on my hu

bradl79
02-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Double post

bbeljefe
02-07-2014, 12:19 PM
well i have a set of componet speakers on the passive crossovers and my 4 channel is bridged what would you call it?i will be getting a 880prs soon

Well, your amp is bridged and your components are passive.

You could go active with the amp you have but that's going to drop the power to the midbass drivers considerably and send too much power to the tweets. I would recommend running active but to get any appreciable improvement you'd want to add a small amp for the tweets. And a really small amp will work.

bbeljefe
02-07-2014, 12:19 PM
well i have a set of componet speakers on the passive crossovers and my 4 channel is bridged what would you call it?i will be getting a 880prs soon

Well, your amp is bridged and your components are passive.

You could go active with the amp you have but that's going to drop the power to the midbass drivers considerably and send too much power to the tweets. I would recommend running active but to get any appreciable improvement you'd want to add a small amp for the tweets. And a really small amp will work.