PDA

View Full Version : Components minus tweeters - in the rear

TheEd
02-04-2014, 09:37 PM
I've searched the forum and only references I can find are referring to the front and even then no definite answer.

Here is my situation, a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with stock head unit, one of the rear speakers have blown. The factory rears are just mids, no tweeters. I have a set of cheap components laying around and here is my dilemma, I definitely have no use for the tweeters in the kit, do I use the crossovers and not wire up the tweeters or do I leave out the crossovers and wire directly to the mids?

The components in question, the mids are 2-ohm and the factory speakers it is replacing are 4-ohm.

mylows10
02-04-2014, 09:39 PM
If the factory speakers are 4 ohm. Then you need 4 ohm Mids. You could damage the deck Also you can just wire them direct

Jroo
02-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Two issues I see. First they are 2 ohm and you need to find out if stock head unit will run a 2 ohm set. More than likely not. Second if you just use the passive crossover, what is the x over point? Lets say the passive is 3500hz, that would mean a huge part of your vocals would also get cut out because the tweeter isn't there playing them. They may or may not work as rear fill. I think you could find a cheap pair of full range drivers that are 4 ohm. I thought Parts Express has a cheap pair of full ranges for like 15 bucks or so.