PDA

View Full Version : box may be too big

ladiesman8527
05-28-2004, 01:49 PM
im in the process of building a sealed box out of MDF....the recommended box size for my subs are .7-1ft^3......but my box looks like its gonna be a lil too big....not by much tho.....if it makes a difference.....is there anything i can do to make the box seem smaller to the subs....im new to this..

dbornotdb
05-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Post the inside dimensions and then we can figure the exact space you have there. Then we can help come up with a way to "fix" the box should it need it.

Fitz
05-29-2004, 02:48 AM
with sealed boxes, bigger size = bigger range for sub, smaller = louder volume.. or did i have that mixed around? oh crap, i just confused myself.. guess i'll be up for an hour or more now trying to remember.. ****.

Acidburn
05-29-2004, 03:20 AM
if it is too big just put some extra wood inside of it to make the internal volume smaller

lombardo
05-29-2004, 09:54 AM
with sealed boxes, bigger size = bigger range for sub, smaller = louder volume.. or did i have that mixed around? oh crap, i just confused myself.. guess i'll be up for an hour or more now trying to remember.. ****.

Larger will yeild a lower, more transient sound. Whereas a smaller box may be louder (due to a peak and if you can power it enough), but it will be more punchy.

Trixter
05-29-2004, 02:19 PM
If your going to go with sealed, personally, I would make it a little on the larger side anyway. If you are dead set on making the box to spec., and in your case a little smaller to get there, you can always double up the front baffle, adding the extra on the inside. This will also create more support for you sub to sit on, which is usually recommended.

ladiesman8527
06-02-2004, 12:22 AM
which would give me a looser boomy type bass for listening to rap? a larger box or smaller box?

Moe Lester
06-02-2004, 12:57 AM
Larger... Id go ported if you can ;)

ladiesman8527
06-03-2004, 05:22 PM
since its just a temporary box....and making it ported takes a lot more work....im just gonna go with sealed but i'll keep that in mind.....if the specs on my subs reccommend .7 - 1.0 ft^3 how much larger should i go to get the looser boomy rap type bass?