PDA

View Full Version : Weatherproofing my front 6.5's?

skuppej
02-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Today the plan was to finish installing my front 6.5's. So I was out front preparing my door panel and all of the sudden it started raining. Being stubborn like always, I brought in my gear and persisted working from inside my car.

For my front doors, there is a hollow opening between the metal frame of the door and the exterior panel, where a large portion of the midwoofer sits. As I was working inside of there with my hands, routing cables, I started feeling droplets of water.

As if a message from the gods--I then realized that it wasn't going to be just as simple as throwing in the new 6.5's and calling it a wrap..because the next time it rains there will likely be a short. I am very grateful that it didn't come to that.

After a little investigation, it turns out that the source is somewhere near my side mirrors, at the top near the window. So the window molding/weather lining is likely the culprit.

And, since I don't really want to tear apart my window molding just right now.....

..what is the best way to waterproof my front 6.5s?
..place them in a bag + tape?

thank you :)

skuppej
02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
do people use foam baffles? They seem cheapy..

mylows10
02-02-2014, 06:46 PM
do people use foam baffles? They seem cheapy..

They are. What car ? Some cars have plastic balled that can work. But it's usually better to get speakers that can not be damaged if water gets on them

skuppej
02-02-2014, 06:48 PM
They are. What car ? Some cars have plastic balled that can work. But it's usually better to get speakers that can not be damaged if water gets on themNot sure if my speakers are those type or not..but I would rather be safe :)
I have a 2002 Cadillac Seville, and the stock speakers did have a plastic ballad..but they didn't fit on my new speakers so I needed to get some rings made.
The rings are mounted now..all that is left is to put in the speakers

mylows10
02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Sonic electronics used to have something that would work but they just protected the top of the speaker if rain gets thru the window seal

skuppej
02-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Yeah was hoping to fabricate something myself, if possible
Guy on another forum is recommending tupperwares..cd cases..CCF tape
Time to go to Home Depot :P

Also hopingto buy some noise dampening material

bradl79
02-02-2014, 07:25 PM
I use these

Amazon.com: XTC 6-1/2-Inch Foam Baffle Pair: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPNXW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

whitedragon551
02-02-2014, 07:25 PM
You will want to make sure if you use foam its closed cell. You will also want to make sure you drill holes in the bottom of the door panel to prevent moisture from being trapped inside.

skuppej
02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
You will want to make sure if you use foam its closed cell. You will also want to make sure you drill holes in the bottom of the door panel to prevent moisture from being trapped inside.Good input, thank you very much. I assume this foam is normally only purchasable online?

I use these

Amazon.com: XTC 6-1/2-Inch Foam Baffle Pair: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPNXW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Is this "closed cell"? haha
These baffles always looked cheapy to me..

soundstreamer
02-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Fix the leak before your door rusts and rots out. Unless this is like my rides of old where its a $800 ride with a $1500 sound system...

whitedragon551
02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Good input, thank you very much. I assume this foam is normally only purchasable online?

Is this "closed cell"? haha
These baffles always looked cheapy to me..

I believe they are. But you will want to modify them. Door speakers are in most cases better ran infinite baffled meaning you shouldnt seal them off. You will most likely want to cut the bottom 3/4 of the baffle off and only keep a piece over the top to divert water.

skuppej
02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Fix the leak before your door rusts and rots out. Unless this is like my rides of old where its a $800 ride with a $1500 sound system...Yeah yeah I'll get to it :P

I believe they are. But you will want to modify them. Door speakers are in most cases better ran infinite baffled meaning you shouldnt seal them off. You will most likely want to cut the bottom 3/4 of the baffle off and only keep a piece over the top to divert water.
Hmm, I see..
Slapping CCF tape all over the thing is starting to sound like a better idea now haha

EDIT: so, is it better to leave the hollow opening that extends all throughout inside the door panel, or should I be sealing this off? My original intent was to find a way to seal off the extra space to "dampen noise"..but now it sounds like it is best to keep it as open as possible?

Pearson
02-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I use these

I use these as well. Cut them in half and place the "baffle" on the top part of the speaker so that water slides over and around your speaker.

skuppej
02-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Went to Home Depot & picked up some CCF tape and some extreme weather foil tape. :)
The ZipLock tupperwares I have fit perfectly right all the way up to the base of my speaker. :)