PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 12 year old speakers...

Krisn95
02-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Hey guys, Just joined the site, with that said I have read forums on here last night to get a feel for what I am getting myself into. I am new to the car audio world so I am making an effort to learn more than just "hey this sounds good" and "ehh, this sounds horrible."

Last Friday I decided to ditch my 12 year old F-150's radio and grab a Pioneer DEH-X3600UI. Why? Well it had everything I could ever want as a radio Pandora streaming from my phone, phone charger, CD player, USB player, aux, 'the works' as far as I know. Never really thought about the actual sound output or anything closely related really. So I installed it myself and I had better sound than my old radio of course but man those speakers are dying haha. I knew I would have to replace them very soon.

That is the question though, I have no where to begin. How can I determine what is a "great match" for my receiver? I've heard all kinds of general setups, but that doesn't really tell me too much considering (at least I think) that they aren't all too much alike. I appreciate you all for the time you have spent reading and replying!

-Kris

trumpet
02-02-2014, 12:37 PM
With a head unit powering the speakers you aren't really restricted to any types of speakers, just know that some won't sound great until you add a separate amplifier. What is your budget for speakers? Think about that before you go shopping as well.

Krisn95
02-02-2014, 05:10 PM
The budget that I currently am working with is around $200 max. I'm a college student so I don't really have alot to invest.

accuab
02-02-2014, 05:21 PM
You need to go to an audio shop and listen to speakers. Don't buy them there just listen. Your truck should have 6x8's if I remember correctly but they make adapters for other sizes. You will be looking for a coax for that price if you're doing all 4 speakers that but you can get a decent sound with that price.