PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer technical / mounting question

Chef Nails
02-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Hello everyone,
New member to the forum, long time audiophile and all around music lover with a few basic installations under my belt. I have a turbo bug with two small sub boxes in the back and I would like to anchor them better. I do not want to leave any marks, holes etc. In the carpet so I was considering putting some magnet plates on the back of the speaker boxes and the inside of the carpet to keep the boxes stationary. My question is can a magnet mounted outside of the speaker box potentially damage the speaker or interfere with it working right?

The setup is:
Sony head unit
Monsoon primary amp
JBL secondary amp for subs in hatch
Two 6.5 inch subs in back hatch in enclosures
Two 6.5 inch subs in door panels
Two 4 inch midranges in dash panels
Two 6.5 inch midrange in rear panels
Two 1.5 inch highs in dash panels
Two 1.5 inch highs in rear upper panels

Any good input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chef

logiball
02-01-2014, 10:46 PM
velcro homie velcro. You can buy it by the roll, get the good industrial kind.
1. take the sticky off the back of the non soft velcro side.
2. make a couple double sided strips with the non soft side the length of your box
3. you now have fannnnnntastic carpet to carpet "tape"

Chef Nails
02-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Hi Logi thanks for the response. I tried Velcro but it wouldn't hold onto the carpet. I got the heavy duty Velcro that grips like mad to itself but won't the adhesive side won't stick to the carpet at all. I've looked around but haven't found anything 'heavier duty'. The speaker boxes are pretty heavy for their size. I'll keep looking for industrial grade Velcro, maybe i'll get lucky.

logiball
02-01-2014, 11:13 PM
VELCROŽ Brand MVA8 Hook (http://www.textol.com/t_mva.asp) is the kind of velcro i think might work. The magnet thing should work also, pretty sure it wont mess with the sub at all because people put subs next to subs all the time.

Chef Nails
02-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Sweet, thanks for the link. I already have some small plate magnets I wanted to try out. I have a pair of Kicker comp vt 2 ohm 6.5's in the back and in the doors, and they have been discontinued and are very hard to find so I want to be careful not to damage them.

logiball
02-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Sidenote, how are the 6.5 woofers? do they get fairly low and loud? I would LOVE to put some in my back doors for midbass.

Chef Nails
02-02-2014, 12:08 AM
For this particular vehicle they work great, they hit low and hold low notes forever and resonate very well, and they never seem to bottom out or rattle. I know a lot of people use 6.5's for Jeeps and many European cars.

bbeljefe
02-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Magnets won't harm your speakers.