PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 coaxial or component?

8thGenSI
01-30-2014, 11:58 PM
Installing in my 2014 Subaru WRX

Will be running a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, Alpine PDX-V9, and 2 12" old school us made kicker comps.

I wanted to run comps in the front and use my factory tweeter location but the factory location is to small to use most component system tweeters. The factory location will only accommodate about an inch in diameter and about a half inch in depth in total. I tried to see how a pair of CDT 1" tweeters I had laying around would work but they are way to big.

So I was considering using a set of coaxial speakers but I know imaging would be tough. I typically like my tweeters just a tad on the bright side but not fatiguing, with some decent lower end mid range.

Any suggestions?

mylows10
01-31-2014, 12:03 AM
The cdt convertible components mike. What the biggest diameter tweet that will fit. I can try to find you something

mylows10
01-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Cdt Tw 19. Or the
Ws 100i tweets

fasfocus00
01-31-2014, 12:09 AM
a well placed coax will sound better than a poorly placed component set.

mylows10
01-31-2014, 12:11 AM

Very true

keep_hope_alive
01-31-2014, 12:14 AM

factory doors are not "properly placed"

kicks are.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

you can run active, that means you can buy tweeters that suit your needs.

parts express and madisound have tweeters in 3/4" size that will fit. the Vifa ring radiator without a faceplate is small and sounds great.

8thGenSI
01-31-2014, 12:19 AM
How "well placed" can you get in a factory location with coaxial though, considering factory door locations will be used. I figure the ideal spot for coaxial would be somewhere you can have a bit more control over facing them toward your ear. The thing I like about the factory tweeter location is they are closer to an A pillar mount as opposed to reflecting off the windshield or something along those lines.

Jim, gimme some more info on those CDT tweets. The biggest diameter I can house is maybe 1 1/4".

8thGenSI
01-31-2014, 12:24 AM
factory doors are not "properly placed"

kicks are.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

you can run active, that means you can buy tweeters that suit your needs.

parts express and madisound have tweeters in 3/4" size that will fit. the Vifa ring radiator without a faceplate is small and sounds great.

Exactly what I was thinking on the factory locations.

If I do go component I was going to make a go at active, the head unit is capable.

The problem with the tweeters is it has to be 1 1/4" in total diameter max, that's including the housing. I suppose I can trim the fat off and use only the actual driver and epoxy it into the mount. The hole in the factory tweeter pod could not be much bigger then a quarter. The mounting depth is also an issue, the pod is 2 piece so if the tweeter is too deep it will not allow the pod to go back together. I will snap pictures to help describe what I am taking about.

mylows10
01-31-2014, 12:28 AM
CDT Audio TW-19 (http://cdtaudio.com/sep_components/tweeters/tw19.htm)
CDT Audio WS-100i (http://cdtaudio.com/sep_components/tweeters/ws100i.htm)

trumpet
01-31-2014, 10:34 AM
I respectfully disagree on the TW-19 suggestion. It's the cheapest tweeter CDT makes, and the sound can be vastly improved from that without spending a fortune. I would do a component coaxial set along with the WS-100i imaging tweeters. Depending on the amount of clearance between the metal and the inner door panel, there are a couple of options to consider. Adapters to provide the necessary clearance can be ordered online or made with a jigsaw and a drill.

mylows10
01-31-2014, 11:04 AM
I respectfully disagree on the TW-19 suggestion. It's the cheapest tweeter CDT makes, and the sound can be vastly improved from that without spending a fortune. I would do a component coaxial set along with the WS-100i imaging tweeters. Depending on the amount of clearance between the metal and the inner door panel, there are a couple of options to consider. Adapters to provide the necessary clearance can be ordered online or made with a jigsaw and a drill.

It's cool Barry. He's actually a friend and lives close to me I recommended the Tw 19 because of the tweet diameter. I know he doesn't usually throw a lot of power into his systems. But I do agree with what you said I'd actually take it a step further. With the new hd coax set that has the xovers and the imaging tweeters Should sound really nice this way

keep_hope_alive
01-31-2014, 10:51 PM
Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter | 275-025 (http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd16fa-6-5-8-neodymium-dome-tweeter--275-025)

Vifa OX20SC00-04 3/4" Fabric Dome Tweeter | 264-1002 (http://www.parts-express.com/vifa-ox20sc00-04-3-4-fabric-dome-tweeter--264-1002)

Vifa OT19NC00-04 3/4" Fabric Dome Tweeter 4 Ohm | 264-1122 (http://www.parts-express.com/vifa-ot19nc00-04-3-4-fabric-dome-tweeter-4-ohm--264-1122)