PDA

View Full Version : Pro audio with a passive crossover?

tat2bass
01-30-2014, 11:20 PM
So need some help. I got the rockford pro audio mids in today and hooked them up using the alpine spx17pro crossovers. Now whenever I turn it up to about 2/3 max volume the speakers start crackling and breaking up and going in and out. I know the crossovers work and all my wiring is good because I had the alpine mids hooked up and were working not even an hour before. My question is what would cause this? Can you not use pro audio mids with a regular passive crossover? I wouldn't see why not. Like I said, the alpine mids were handling it just fine all the way up to 61/62 and gains set correctly

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I posted this also in my build log

garychoffmann
01-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Are the rockford 8 or 4 ohm?

Slobalt
01-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Do you have some type of lpf set, I'm pretty sure the pro audio's won't handle the lower range as well as you componets did. I'm not sure if this is even what your hearing but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

tat2bass
01-31-2014, 12:03 AM
Yeah. They are high passed at 100hz

mlstrass
01-31-2014, 03:57 AM
Try a 125Hz HPF, off the HU if possible...

T3mpest
01-31-2014, 05:46 AM
If the New mids are 8ohm and the old ones the xover was made for are 4... Then your xover frequency doubled and your just hearing cone breakup from playing too high.

tat2bass
01-31-2014, 10:59 AM
The new ones are 4 ohm also.

tat2bass
01-31-2014, 03:43 PM
Ok, so weirdest thing I think I have seen in all my years installing car audio.

Yesterday when I put the rockford pro mids in I would get them starting to break up and the whole set (tweeters included) would cut in and out. The weird thing was I got an alarm on my dash that said "warning, place car in park and check hybrid system immediately". I tried putting the car into drive and it wouldn't move and kept telling me to put it in park and check the hybrid system. It was also causing every warning light on my dash to come on minus the low tire pressure light.

So I check the hybrid battery which is mounted under the rear seats next to the 12v bat and everything looks fine. So it was late and I didn't feel like messing with it last night so I put it off til this morning.

So this morning I go out and turn the car on and turn the radio up and I get the same crap going on. So I go and pull out the Rockford mids and put back in the Alpine mids.

I go and turn my car on and EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL!!! Seriously wtf!?!? How could putting in a different set of mids on a passive crossover cause my entire car to go to **** and not drive or anything. I have never seen anything like it before.

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly cause this? I was looking forward to using these mids. If you haven't heard them before they are awesome. A shop near my house had some and I went in there one day just browsing and listened to them and loved them and the tweets. If I hadn't gotten such a great deal on my Alpines I would have went with a set of them.

Slobalt
01-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but those mids have push trems is there anyway you are grounding/touching the speaker wires to the car? For your car to go crazy like that it sounds like a power/ground issue. Since you only have the issue with those mids this is what comes to my mind.

tat2bass
01-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but those mids have push trems is there anyway you are grounding/touching the speaker wires to the car? For your car to go crazy like that it sounds like a power/ground issue. Since you only have the issue with those mids this is what comes to my mind.

No. I thought maybe something like that as well. I went through first thing this morning before pulling them out and double checked all my wiring. I have no idea. Completely dumb founded by it

TheUnderFighter
01-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Not sure about any other issues. But those speakers probably won't perform up to par unless you have a crossover designed for them. Crossovers that are good for one set of speakers, aren't necessarily good for another set.

tat2bass
01-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Not sure about any other issues. But those speakers probably won't perform up to par unless you have a crossover designed for them. Crossovers that are good for one set of speakers, aren't necessarily good for another set.

Yeah. I was going to run them on the passives and then sometime down the road was going to go active. Was going to start off running active but the 80prs I bought off of madman11 was not as described and I'm trying to get a refund on it so my current uh isn't active capable