PDA

View Full Version : Help with 4 Obsidian 15v3 Vented box. Preperation for D-Day

bigblackdodge
01-29-2014, 07:38 PM
First post and first thread. 2s bird 1 big bullet! New to forum guys and looking for any help i can get. Very excited about my next build and ready to try out Obsidian Subs. heard they are some real beasty subs for the money so im counting down the days till they arrive. D-Day! I would love to have the box built, wired, properly installed and everything. Only needing to hook up and install the subs. Have until April, give or take....
Truck:1999 Dodge Ram quad cab.
Total of useable cubic feet: 20' (expect only to need round 12ish but have room for more if recommended) backseat will be removed
Tune Hz: Low 30s
Power: 255 h/o alt. dual marine batteries and currently a soundstream rub1.2500 amp will be wired @ 1ohm. (I am looking for a slightly bigger, less hungry amp)

I would like to see if anyone has much experience with these subs and see how much power to through to them for daily cruising and MAX for showoff. Subs up/ Port up, Subs forward/port up? L shape vent? Cylindrical port? single chamber/dual chamber/etc?...What yall think? any input would be amazing thankyou.

bigblackdodge
01-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Any help or even just a thought would be really appreciated

Buck
01-30-2014, 09:19 PM
I can design you a box.

bigblackdodge
01-30-2014, 09:45 PM
Man like i said from the beginning any help or advise. I never built a box this large or one for 4 subwoofers. usually only messing with small boxes for 1 or 2 subs. My deminsions are from door to door 65"wide X floorboard up to below rear window 34" X rear of cab to behind seat 24". Planing on running on a single monoblock amp so i was thinking a single chamber box would be ok..... any thoughts?

Buck
01-30-2014, 09:48 PM
I would try to get as close to 3.75 per sub as you can get, if the V3's recommend same airspace as v2's. I know on the V2's you might want to stick with like 12 in^2 per cube.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Are there any V3 specs man?

bigblackdodge
01-30-2014, 09:56 PM
i assume its the same as the v2's I emailed obsidian about box specs and he said theyre listed.... I guess that would mean the same as the v2's. Im not sure be better to get a direct answer though ill send another email here in a minute and ask if they v2 and 3's need same airspace and the displacement. Thanks already!

bgowdy31
01-30-2014, 10:14 PM
i think the just replaced the slots that had the V2 specs in them with V3 specs. I currently am debating a 2-18 V2 obsidian audio build myself. i was worried about box as well, but i think im just going to say f-it and do the build lol

bigblackdodge
01-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Yeah I know what you mean I was just gona build a big 12 cube box and throw them in and put 4-6" pipes for ports but I'm gona try to do this the right way and do the subs justice and build one that allows them to play with a good loudness-clarity .

DoesDad
01-31-2014, 09:57 AM
What do you expect to hit with the 4 15's? I know you're tuning pretty low for #'s but you should still be able to get pretty loud.

bigblackdodge
01-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Never metered anything in my life but if I could do mid 140s ild be happy but I'm sure louder is possible. I don't want to burp, I just want very loud music but still detailed.

bigblackdodge
02-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Ive drawn up a few box design sketches il post today but was thinking if i did 2 fireing up and 2 fireing forward, since they are faceing different directions, should each pair fireing each way be in separate chambers?? Or build 2 boxes and bolt them together to still look as one box??? maybe even inverting the 2 on top to fire into the box? So many ideas im getting headaches!

bigblackdodge
02-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Well guys instead of the 4 15v3's i have a local friend who i talked into purchasing 4 12v3's in trade for my 4 15's. I decided to go with the 12's to save a little room being that they call for around 2cu' each vs. the 15's close to 4cu' each. And he has a suburban so he has plenty of room for the 15's so it works out i just lost out on some money, not the first time nor the last.

Big Thanks to Buck from High Output Enclosures for the kick ace design. think its gona slam.:D