PDA

View Full Version : Between these two which would you choose?

accuab
01-22-2014, 11:51 PM
JBL GTO638 6.5" / 6-3/4" 3-Way Grand Touring Coaxial Car Speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17735_JBL-GTO638.html)

Infinity Kappa 62.9I (KAPPA 629I) 6.5" 2-way Kappa Car Speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13963_Infinity-Kappa-62.9I.html)

I figure both are very similar. They may just stay on the factory amp if I am happy with the outcome. If not they will be getting approx 50 RMS from an aftermarket amp.

And I'm sure there will be someone say "both are garbage, get (fill in the blank)". These are the two I'm looking at and want opinions on those.

trumpet
01-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Is this for the Cadillac? They're both good, although I've not heard those exact models. GTO628 is easy on the ears.

accuab
01-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Yes it is for the cadillac. I've just about decided finding the info I needed specifically to the car is not gonna happen so I'm not going to try to reinvent the wheel. This will require a 2 ohm speaker down in the door and both of these would fit the bill. I'm leaning more towards the kappa as that is what I have heard recommended for a factory 2 ohm setup. But the price of the speaker you posted is a little better too. I'm not trying to make some magnificent sounding setup. I'm just looking for cleaner highs and more volume from the mids. The infinity's are 95 db and the jbl are 92db so I'm curious just how much more efficient the infinities are.

tojohnso
01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
I just recently upgraded my factory speakers to Infinity kappa 60.11cs in all four of my doors. I have an Expedition EL and ended up converting the rear doors to components as well. Get a good car audio shop to do the work and it will look stock. With that said, I listened to both JBLs and the Inifinity's. To me, the Infinity's made the sound stage wider and more crisp. If you can, go to a shop and listen to the same speakers you are looking to purchase and do a double blind test where you don't have any idea which speaker you are listening to. Ensure it's music / media you listen to. The shop I bought mine from did that and it's how I went with the Infinity's. You want cleaner highs, separates are the only way to go.

FYI - I have a wide variety of music interests from classical music to rock, some country, pop, dance, etc.