PDA

View Full Version : Box for home audio

accuab
01-21-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking of doing a shelf cd player instead of going the soundbar method for my tv. Is it a bad idea to build my own box and use the speakers front a setup stereo like that? I figured I could make a cleaner look by removing the speakers from the factory boxes and building my own. The problem is I would have no T/S parameters to go by so I would pretty much have to measure the original box and mimic the volume. For the mids and highs a sealed box would be no issue. But a lot of the systems come with a separate sub in its own box that is ported and it would be hard to mimic that box. I could make it sealed but wouldn't get the same bass response.

mlstrass
01-22-2014, 03:51 AM
Personally if I went through the trouble of building enclosures I'd get better drivers....

accuab
01-22-2014, 03:58 AM
I have the wood and tools available so all it would cost me really is a little time. Plus I enjoy projects.

Side Show
01-22-2014, 04:09 AM
waste of time.... imo unless the boxes the speakers originally came in are destroyed

accuab
01-22-2014, 04:40 AM
The box would not be for sound quality but for looks. It would either be finished in a high gloss black or with felt and have the grills covered so it just looked like a box. The idea would be to completely hide the speakers. I'm not looking to build a standard looking box. I'm looking at a long short box about the width of the shelf right under the tv.