PDA

View Full Version : looking for cheap decent double din JVC KW-R900BT decent or no?

jeffdachef
01-18-2014, 05:53 AM
specs
JVC KW-R900BT In-Dash Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth & Pandora (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45823_JVC-KW-R900BT.html)
Doesn't look too bad on paper and reviews but you know how sh*t is on the internet, just looking for opinions.

budget is 180 TAX AND SHIPPING INCLUDED in that budget so aiming for 160 and under before tax and shipping. Would Prefer credit card over cash so classifieds might not apply in this situation.

This is going into cousin's civic and he absolutely hates the single din look. looking for something that has decent internal sound processors, at least 3 sets of (legit) 4(or higher) volt pre-out and all the basic features of modern headunits. No need for dvd, gps, touchscreen just pure audio. Active capable would be a big bonus but more of a deal breaker.

Going for an average joe budget SQ build

redrider
01-18-2014, 08:26 AM
I thought about this one before. Seems to have good features for a dd minus video. Look on Amazon.... I found a Kenwood dd for like 180-190 shipped a few weeks ago....it was like the 330 series or something like that.

Keep us posted.....in the market for a good but budget DD

pickup1
01-18-2014, 08:44 AM
You can use a credit card on PayPal.... look at some Pioneers too....that have great reliability.

RoYALbLUE08
01-18-2014, 08:59 AM
You can use a credit card on PayPal.... look at some Pioneers too....that have great reliability.

pioneer has had horrible reliability with their blown fuses... i blew 3 new headunits already. 2 avh p8400 and an avh x8500 (after hitting a pothole are you kidding me? the soundboard got fried, no sound given out of the headunit to speakers running off harness or to the RCA outputs....

jeffdachef
01-18-2014, 09:16 AM
pioneer has had horrible reliability with their blown fuses... i blew 3 new headunits already. 2 avh p8400 and an avh x8500 (after hitting a pothole are you kidding me? the soundboard got fried, no sound given out of the headunit to speakers running off harness or to the RCA outputs....

my thoughts exactly with those d@mn picos lol, only exception is the 80 prs :suave: been working real well for me lol.
Not sure if its just me, but the cheaper pioneers make the sound a little bit brighter then other head units in their category.

Also i'm looking around and the 200 and under pioneer double dins have mostly 2 preout vots.
Was looking at kenwoods, jvcs, eclipse and alpines and the jvc stood out the most for me.

mylows10
01-18-2014, 09:37 AM
I'll have one in two weeks. Avhp 4100 DVD $200 plus shipping

jeffdachef
01-18-2014, 09:42 AM

i just linked my checking account with paypal haven't explored other options, thanks for this never knew that, i'll let my cuz know.

budget's kinda strict gonna have to pass.

redrider
01-18-2014, 09:50 AM
here is the kenwood i was talking about
Amazon.com: Kenwood DDX370 Double Din monitor with DVD receiver: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX370-Double-monitor-receiver/dp/B00B7IPT6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390056503&sr=8-1&keywords=kenwood+ddx370)

i have this one in my wife's truck and love it. i havent touched half of the features on it. really nice unit. went from a pioneer to this kenwood and probably wont go back to a pioneer.

redrider
01-18-2014, 09:53 AM

thats a good price... esp if its new

pickup1
01-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Wow...really... mine have worked flawlessly, I had a 4100,4200,4300 and now a 8400.

globalminds_ent
01-18-2014, 01:05 PM
You ever thought of goin 2v with a line driver? Is it the same?

jeffdachef
01-18-2014, 08:18 PM
You ever thought of goin 2v with a line driver? Is it the same?

I tend to stay away from line drivers if possible, rather have a strong enough head unit to do all that compared to adding more things that the signal has to go through. Plus its more money for a quality line driver, the cheaper ones almost always add additional noise and distortion into the signal.

jeffdachef
01-18-2014, 11:17 PM
thats a good price... esp if its new

Nope its repaired.

Chromatic
01-18-2014, 11:18 PM

lol.. Wonder where that's coming from? :D

But -- yeah, from all I've read, and my own experience with some "love taps" in nearby area of the Pioneer headunit -- Pioneer's don't have the best reliability factor.. or durability factor. It's not uncommon for people to have them "die" from bumps, potholes, or other forms of "G force" I suppose. In my case it was the palm of my hand hitting the panel next to the headunit,.. :o -- Also the Pioneers definitely have issues with the PICO,.. if you hotswap with them you have a better chance than not of jacking up the pre-amp and bam you've got noise now.. (Which can be rectified with RCA grounding many times)..

Other than that -- When they are working.. They are great. The AVH-P4100DVD had the best "touch response/feel" of any screen I've ever messed with. Had a great sound.. the Voltage from the pre-outs was dead on 4v,.. great units as long as they don't get knocked around or someone hotswaps unknowingly.

Chromatic
01-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Wow...really... mine have worked flawlessly, I had a 4100,4200,4300 and now a 8400.

I'm sue the "majority" of Pioneer owners never have issues.. They are GREAT head units.. If you just know not to bang them up, or hot swap you should always be good with them. Now the few stories of people hitting potholes and the unit dying.. well,.. that's just about unavoidable.. but that has to be rare.

mylows10
01-18-2014, 11:38 PM
lol.. Wonder where that's coming from? :D

But -- yeah, from all I've read, and my own experience with some "love taps" in nearby area of the Pioneer headunit -- Pioneer's don't have the best reliability factor.. or durability factor. It's not uncommon for people to have them "die" from bumps, potholes, or other forms of "G force" I suppose. In my case it was the palm of my hand hitting the panel next to the headunit,.. :o -- Also the Pioneers definitely have issues with the PICO,.. if you hotswap with them you have a better chance than not of jacking up the pre-amp and bam you've got noise now.. (Which can be rectified with RCA grounding many times)..

Other than that -- When they are working.. They are great. The AVH-P4100DVD had the best "touch response/feel" of any screen I've ever messed with. Had a great sound.. the Voltage from the pre-outs was dead on 4v,.. great units as long as they don't get knocked around or someone hotswaps unknowingly.

Actually I'll have a avhp 4300 in 2 weeks for sale. Right now it doesn't have RCA output. But getting it fixed as well. Was my old deck Right now it works great except no RCA out

DARKHART
01-18-2014, 11:40 PM
That JVC is a great deck, you shouldn't have any issues with it....JVC is my go to headunit brand at the shop even though we carry Pioneer, Blaupunkt and some Sony...