PDA

View Full Version : Budget 6.5" components set without amp

atownmack
01-07-2014, 12:36 PM
I now have a 2008 ford focus, thanks to my girlfriends grandfather! I would like to add some 6.5 components to the mix. Ill only be running fronts, and need something budget friendly. Also to ease installation, I'd like to stay away from running them with an amp and power them with a aftermarket headunit (more than likely a pioneer.) I know you can get better sound with an amp, however I want to keep this install really simple, not building an award winning SQ car, just a nice sounding ride! The local audio shop told me some alpine type s' work well without amp. Any other models to consider? I'm very open to suggestions.

mylows10
01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Nice and budget don't go together In car audio unless used

Chromatic
01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Aftermarket speakers are going to sound better on a reasonable aftermarket headunit even without an amp.

If you have the money.. These are some great speakers that you can later amp up with a 50x2 (wouldn't cost much) if you wanted to down the road:

Focal Access - 165A1's -- 6.5 components. This is hearsay, not personal experience with them. You will find likely a unique response from most people who respond to this.

Focal Access 165A1 SG 6-3/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165A1S/Focal-Access-165A1-SG.html?tp=106&awkw=38608276825&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=13422942505&awdv=c)

I'm not saying buy from Crutchfield (good company).. but you can find them cheaper.

If you are adamant on not buying an amp,.. then just do your homework on a solid "clean" headunit. You don't have to spend a ton of money on it,... IE: It doesn't take a $750 headunit to sound clean.

In fact for $100-200 you can get a single din that will do the job.

There's nothing that difficult about amping speakers.. but it is pricey if you get a shop to do it.. HUGE difference.. markup is usually twice to four times what you can do it yourself.

Example I'm in the process of putting in a $2000+ system that the speakers and amp cost just over $600. For the equivalent setup and installation shops wanted 3 grand.

Also -- @mylows10 was right about the used. If money is SUPER tight.. I'd just go to the speaker classifieds and find the best pair of speakers in your price range. Used is generally 1/2 or less than new. Also, factory wiring will handle these speakers EVEN amped to their maximum 60watts RMS rating just fine if you DID want to grab a 2 channel amp. Example.. the PPI 600.2,.. Can grab around $100-130 (can find a 2 channel amp cheaper.. this is just an example)

PPI P600.2 Car Amp | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/ctg/PPI-P600-2-Car-Amp-/112156150)

I'm sure others will chime in here with speaker options.

Good luck,

Beef26
01-12-2014, 06:20 PM
If u want a nice budget set go with the re audio 6 1/2 coax. Put them in my hummer over a year ago still going strong around 50 a pair.

SamIam71
01-12-2014, 07:20 PM
I now have a 2008 ford focus, thanks to my girlfriends grandfather! I would like to add some 6.5 components to the mix. Ill only be running fronts, and need something budget friendly. Also to ease installation, I'd like to stay away from running them with an amp and power them with a aftermarket headunit (more than likely a pioneer.) I know you can get better sound with an amp, however I want to keep this install really simple, not building an award winning SQ car, just a nice sounding ride! The local audio shop told me some alpine type s' work well without amp. Any other models to consider? I'm very open to suggestions.
I have 2 sets of these , Alpine SPS-610C, and ran them on an Alpine CDE-147BT head for a week or so and they sounded good. I now have them on an Alpine 45 Watt X 4 amp, and 4 Alpine SPS-410 on the head, and it sounds better. But, they should do you well running off the head.