PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Kentucky

4silverado
12-31-2013, 01:14 PM
My name is Mike and I work as a customer service rep for a machinery manufacturer.

I have been tinkering with car audio since my first car (boy, that was a long time ago). I've installed several systems over the years from a simple stereo swap to an all Sony Xplod system in an 02 Silverado extended cab. Learnt a lot researching components for it and installing everything - CD radio, 6 3/4 inch 3-way speakers in each door (even the rear extended cab doors), mono amp and 1- 10 inch sub in a Q-Logic (down firing) sub box filled full of poly fill. To me, it sounded really good. Did I upgrade anything else - nope. Should I have - yep. Lights would dim on a hard bass hit. Still, I was happy with what I did and it was the first time on a decent sound system.

Well, that was then. Newest truck is an 03 Silverado extended cab with the Bose option. CD player didn't work so I installed a Kenwood KDC-255U and a Scosche Line Converter. Sounds alright. Do have a little bit of a buzz from somewhere- haven't pin pointed it yet.

Anyways, thought about upgrading the Bose door speakers. Didn't know if I needed 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers. To be perfectly honest, not really sure what the difference is or if there is a sound difference between them.

Since I am trying to learn, thought I'd see what this place has to offer.

macsdad
12-31-2013, 01:28 PM
there isn't a sound difference between the ohms on any given speaker/sub, the ohms allow you to 'pull' more power from any given amp, ie; 2 4ohm dual voice coil subs can present a final four or 1 ohm load to a compatable amp. while 2 two ohm subs can present a 2 or .5 ohm load. the same goes for speakers, the important thing is that you have an amp, whether for speakers or subs, that can produce the ohm load you derive in your set-up. and welcome, things have changed a bit, a lot of new underground-non mainstream. once you figure a budget, you can peruse the classifieds on here for what you need/want. there are also several vendors on here that offer great stuff with decent prices, good luck, dude. i am originally from lexington-GO BIG BLUE.

4silverado
01-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info. It is making some sense. I had never gotten into the technical side of this before. I know very little about Bose. I went from the system in the 02 Silverado to a Bose in a 07 Trailblazer. The Bose in the Trailblazer never did sound right to me. I assumed it was due to me being used to the other system. I left the system stock in the Trailblazer up to the day that I traded it in. Now with this 03 Silverado, this is the first time of installing new components in place of the Bose.

I am not from Kentucky originally, although I do root for the local team. I was born and raised in west central Indiana.

JL Audio
01-01-2014, 08:44 AM
hey local, i'm near london and go through berea to richmond all the time lol..

4silverado
01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
yep, you aren't too far from me. Back when I had the bike, we headed to Longriders and Wildcat HD at least once a month.

bbeljefe
01-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm wondering, why not just buy a head unit with multiple preamp outputs? It would seem to me that buying a head unit without them and then adding the cost of an LOC would end up costing about the same.