PDA

View Full Version : First build! 2008 Scion xB "SQ" build.

supereikenator
12-30-2013, 11:40 PM
So this isn't going to be a "wow" build, especially compared to the pros on here, it will also take a year or longer to get done I'm sure, and I will ask ALOT of stupid questions. But, that being said, this will be my first time doing an install all by myself, so that's why I'm doing this, also, I said SQ but this will be nothing compared to a true SQ build because I'm 18 and work fast food. Anyways, onto the system.

Things I plan to buy:
(1) JBL GTI MKii 10.
(1) JBL GTO 1001EZ
(1) Pair of JBL MS-62C 6.5 components
(1) Pair of Focal Access or Memphis MC 6.5 coaxial a for rear doors.
(1) JBL GTO 804EZ
Things I could use help deciding:
Do I need a second battery? I have a Yellowtop up front and no big 3.
What size and tuning box for the GTI?
What sound deadening should I use? I was thinking Q-Mat, or local shop sells Hushmat. I plan to deaden my roof and all four doors.
Are all of the subs/speakers/amps the best for the price range?
My head unit it a Kenwood x397 with three sets of RCA outs, and it's already in, same with my wiring, I have 4 gauge Memphis wiring run through my car from my last install.

Thanks in advance guys!

argenis69
12-31-2013, 12:08 AM
So this isn't going to be a "wow" build, especially compared to the pros on here, it will also take a year or longer to get done I'm sure, and I will ask ALOT of stupid questions. But, that being said, this will be my first time doing an install all by myself, so that's why I'm doing this, also, I said SQ but this will be nothing compared to a true SQ build because I'm 18 and work fast food. Anyways, onto the system.

Things I plan to buy:
(1) JBL GTI MKii 10.
(1) JBL GTO 1001EZ
(1) Pair of JBL MS-62C 6.5 components
(1) Pair of Focal Access or Memphis MC 6.5 coaxial a for rear doors.
(1) JBL GTO 804EZ
Things I could use help deciding:
Do I need a second battery? I have a Yellowtop up front and no big 3.
What size and tuning box for the GTI?
What sound deadening should I use? I was thinking Q-Mat, or local shop sells Hushmat. I plan to deaden my roof and all four doors.
Are all of the subs/speakers/amps the best for the price range?
My head unit it a Kenwood x397 with three sets of RCA outs, and it's already in, same with my wiring, I have 4 gauge Memphis wiring run through my car from my last install.

Thanks in advance guys!

First, if it was me, I'll use 0 gauge wiring(best if ofc) and an extra battery in the back, to be ready for any future upgrades.
I recommend checking the subs manual or getting info from the manufacturer tech for exact info on The enclosure and tuning.
I consider the radio good, it has all you need and best of all, you already have it, which means less money to spend.

supereikenator
12-31-2013, 12:21 AM
First, if it was me, I'll use 0 gauge wiring(best if ofc) and an extra battery in the back, to be ready for any future upgrades.
I recommend checking the subs manual or getting info from the manufacturer tech for exact info on The enclosure and tuning.
I consider the radio good, it has all you need and best of all, you already have it, which means less money to spend.

This will be my last upgrade for a while, I start college next year so money will be super short, if 4 gauge works for these two amps I'll probably keep it. Any batteries you recommend? I'll check the manual when I finally get it bought, or I'll google it if I get antsy. Thank you!

dbman150
12-31-2013, 12:29 AM
Here is a pic of where I put my battery's in my xb

supereikenator
12-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Here is a pic of where I put my battery's in my xb

That is an awesome idea! I will definitely have to follow suit.

dbman150
12-31-2013, 12:38 AM
I have a 2013 but should be the same. And you are going too need a ton of mat in the car it is a rattle trap lol

dbman150
12-31-2013, 12:40 AM
Here is what it looks like with the back put back together

supereikenator
12-31-2013, 12:55 AM
I have a 2013 but should be the same. And you are going too need a ton of mat in the car it is a rattle trap lol

Yeah, haha, I've got an HDC3 15 too and most of what I hear is my roof rattling. Haha.

dbman150
12-31-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah have the hdc4 on the kicker kx 2500 it's just a little 12

supereikenator
12-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Yeah have the hdc4 on the kicker kx 2500 it's just a little 12

"just a little 12" haha, I'll bet that thing sh*ts on my 15.

dbman150
12-31-2013, 01:15 AM
It try's too open my back doors lol

bbeljefe
12-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Nothing wrong with JBL's products but I do think you could do better for about the same money for the whole system.

For an SQ build, I would consider nixing the rear fill completely or, at least, leaving the factory speakers in place and running them from the head unit with a simple passive crossover if, after the system is built you feel a need for rear fill. But regardless, the best SQ you'll get is from a strong front stage that's at (as close as possible) ear level. And if you're concerned about rear seat passengers, a strong front stage is still enough to make rear seat listening enjoyable.

That said, if it were me I'd still be planning on a 4 channel amp but I would run front channel components active from it. If your 4 gauge is ofc then you're okay with keeping it provided the power you're running doesn't go up from your initial list. But I would do a big 3 and put in a second battery, although how large a battery needs to be decided once you've set the amp selection in stone.

For the sub stage, first thing I have to say is that the JBL sub is more form than function. It's a sick looking sub but sick looking doesn't indicate good performance and because JBL isn't forthcoming with TSPs on it, I can't help but think it's a bit of an underperformer. I have experience with the GTO line of subs and for entry level subs, I would recommend them. But this isn't an entry level sub so, I would shy away from it. Matter of fact, I'd keep the Qoundqubed sub before I'd buy that one. I might change my mind about that if I could see some real specs on the GTI but again, JBL doesn't publish them for a reason.

For amps and speakers, I would look to another company and since I'm a CT Sounds dealer, obviously I'd steer you to them or Execution Audio, which is their entry level line. But my reasoning isn't purely self interest and I'll explain....

Go to a few car audio competitions and see what people are running in the lanes. Or, got on youtube and look at videos from competitions. You won't see much mainstream gear there and you'll see even less of it with trophy's standing beside the cars. In simple terms, if you want professional performance, run what the pros run and if you want mediocre performance, run what's popular.

And once you've done some research you'll be surprised at how inexpensive a lot of professional gear is compared to mainstream gear. Often times it's cheaper for more power/performance.

If you're interested pricing on CT Sounds, I'll check for a local dealer for you and if there is none, I'll be happy to help you out. :-)

supereikenator
12-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Nothing wrong with JBL's products but I do think you could do better for about the same money for the whole system.

For an SQ build, I would consider nixing the rear fill completely or, at least, leaving the factory speakers in place and running them from the head unit with a simple passive crossover if, after the system is built you feel a need for rear fill. But regardless, the best SQ you'll get is from a strong front stage that's at (as close as possible) ear level. And if you're concerned about rear seat passengers, a strong front stage is still enough to make rear seat listening enjoyable.

That said, if it were me I'd still be planning on a 4 channel amp but I would run front channel components active from it. If your 4 gauge is ofc then you're okay with keeping it provided the power you're running doesn't go up from your initial list. But I would do a big 3 and put in a second battery, although how large a battery needs to be decided once you've set the amp selection in stone.

For the sub stage, first thing I have to say is that the JBL sub is more form than function. It's a sick looking sub but sick looking doesn't indicate good performance and because JBL isn't forthcoming with TSPs on it, I can't help but think it's a bit of an underperformer. I have experience with the GTO line of subs and for entry level subs, I would recommend them. But this isn't an entry level sub so, I would shy away from it. Matter of fact, I'd keep the Qoundqubed sub before I'd buy that one. I might change my mind about that if I could see some real specs on the GTI but again, JBL doesn't publish them for a reason.

For amps and speakers, I would look to another company and since I'm a CT Sounds dealer, obviously I'd steer you to them or Execution Audio, which is their entry level line. But my reasoning isn't purely self interest and I'll explain....

Go to a few car audio competitions and see what people are running in the lanes. Or, got on youtube and look at videos from competitions. You won't see much mainstream gear there and you'll see even less of it with trophy's standing beside the cars. In simple terms, if you want professional performance, run what the pros run and if you want mediocre performance, run what's popular.

And once you've done some research you'll be surprised at how inexpensive a lot of professional gear is compared to mainstream gear. Often times it's cheaper for more power/performance.

If you're interested pricing on CT Sounds, I'll check for a local dealer for you and if there is none, I'll be happy to help you out. :-)

I usually do shy away from mainstream but these JBL products had such rave reviews I put some confidence in them. The GTI has super high efficiency and is supposed to have awesome SQ, but if there is better to be had shoot me a message of what you've got in mind. I may cut out the rear fill and spend the extra $150 on even better components, but which ones? Also, I'm kind of new to this, so what do you mean by active? Amping the tweet and mid on a channel a piece? I don't think I have ever seen JBL in the lanes, but I'm not going for SPL so I didn't think much of it. I've never been to an SQ competition if that's what you mean though. I'm 99% sure I have no local CT dealers so you'll be a good choice. PM all the products(with prices) that you have in mind. I'm not very stubborn, but definitely under a budget and paranoid about listening to dealers. I'm just worried because I've never heard anything about CT and SQ, just about how much over rated their amps do, and the SPL tests of the subs.

bbeljefe
12-31-2013, 11:44 AM
I usually do shy away from mainstream but these JBL products had such rave reviews I put some confidence in them. The GTI has super high efficiency and is supposed to have awesome SQ, but if there is better to be had shoot me a message of what you've got in mind. I may cut out the rear fill and spend the extra $150 on even better components, but which ones? Also, I'm kind of new to this, so what do you mean by active? Amping the tweet and mid on a channel a piece? I don't think I have ever seen JBL in the lanes, but I'm not going for SPL so I didn't think much of it. I've never been to an SQ competition if that's what you mean though. I'm 99% sure I have no local CT dealers so you'll be a good choice. PM all the products(with prices) that you have in mind. I'm not very stubborn, but definitely under a budget and paranoid about listening to dealers. I'm just worried because I've never heard anything about CT and SQ, just about how much over rated their amps do, and the SPL tests of the subs.

You're not likely to see CT in an SQ build until after the component sets have been out for a while so I understand your hesitance there. But consider that in order for their amps to put out as much power as they do for the price, they have to have high quality components. And high quality components are the most important ingredient in an SQ amp. Also, their mid and high amps are all class A/B which to me, isn't that important but to SQ snobs it is, lol.

I realize that anecdotal evidence from a dealer isn't the most solid information, so take this for what it's worth.... In my demo truck I was running a Diamond Audio D5 600.4 on the mids, driven by a processor and running active. I replaced that amp with a CT Sounds 125.4 and gained in both sound quality and loudness. And one of the two most common comments I got from people who sat in my truck was the fact that even though it had stupid bass, it still had excellent SQ.

As for running active, that's exactly what I mean. You user either the head unit or amp's crossovers and you ditch the passive crossovers. That will get you a lot more control over setting things up in your specific vehicle because you can't change the crossover points in a passive crossover.

And the reason you don't see much in the way of SQ info on youtube is that not too many people are SQ driven and, it's impossible to make a video that conveys sound quality so, it's kinda pointless to try.

supereikenator
12-31-2013, 11:49 AM
You're not likely to see CT in an SQ build until after the component sets have been out for a while so I understand your hesitance there. But consider that in order for their amps to put out as much power as they do for the price, they have to have high quality components. And high quality components are the most important ingredient in an SQ amp. Also, their mid and high amps are all class A/B which to me, isn't that important but to SQ snobs it is, lol.

I realize that anecdotal evidence from a dealer isn't the most solid information, so take this for what it's worth.... In my demo truck I was running a Diamond Audio D5 600.4 on the mids, driven by a processor and running active. I replaced that amp with a CT Sounds 125.4 and gained in both sound quality and loudness. And one of the two most common comments I got from people who sat in my truck was the fact that even though it had stupid bass, it still had excellent SQ.

As for running active, that's exactly what I mean. You user either the head unit or amp's crossovers and you ditch the passive crossovers. That will get you a lot more control over setting things up in your specific vehicle because you can't change the crossover points in a passive crossover.

And the reason you don't see much in the way of SQ info on youtube is that not too many people are SQ driven and, it's impossible to make a video that conveys sound quality so, it's kinda pointless to try.

I agree with the YouTube thing for sure, and honestly, I was very SPL driven initially which is how I ended up with stock speakers and a monstrous HDC3 15. If the prices are competitive I will gladly give them a shot. You seem to be a very straight up guy. Plus, I feel like you wouldn't push it if it sounded bad because that risks me being disappointed and leaving a bad review.

keep_hope_alive
12-31-2013, 02:24 PM
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1755977&page=3

here is a 2008 xB build I did

supereikenator
01-01-2014, 04:00 PM
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1755977&page=3

here is a 2008 xB build I did

That turned out awesome. Is the Scion a pretty easy car to work with? All I've done is install a head unit and mono amp, I did speakers in a Taurus, but I'm pretty inexperienced. Think I'll be okay?

supereikenator
01-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Probably going to use a CT 900.1 and 75.4 rather than the JBL amps, pondering changing the sub stage as well, doing a twelve instead of a ten, and not a GTI.

keep_hope_alive
01-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Scion is like a Toyota or an Accord. Super easy to work with. Forgiving trim clips that can be reused. Do anything with an 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm.

supereikenator
01-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Scion is like a Toyota or an Accord. Super easy to work with. Forgiving trim clips that can be reused. Do anything with an 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm.

Great to know! Thank you.

calebkhill
01-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Honestly, the equipment you listed isn't the best, but not the worst. Before I'd buy new equipment, I'd work with what i have. Most of your SQ is going to come from your install methods and tuning, with equipment being last.
Believe me, you can have the best equipment, but if you don't have things installed and tuned accordingly, then that equipment isn't going to help much.
You can make a cheap system sounds incredible, ask keep_hope_alive; i think he had like, only 200 in components at one time.

There is a lot to learn, i wouldn't jump into buying equipiment just yet.
I'd demo a sq car also. Don't make the mistake i did. I worked at my "sq" system for a year. Then listened to some sq cars, and quickly realized my system was way off, and i had been doing things wrong the whole time.

My .02.

You seem motivated so you should be fine

supereikenator
01-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Honestly, the equipment you listed isn't the best, but not the worst. Before I'd buy new equipment, I'd work with what i have. Most of your SQ is going to come from your install methods and tuning, with equipment being last.
Believe me, you can have the best equipment, but if you don't have things installed and tuned accordingly, then that equipment isn't going to help much.
You can make a cheap system sounds incredible, ask keep_hope_alive; i think he had like, only 200 in components at one time.

There is a lot to learn, i wouldn't jump into buying equipiment just yet.
I'd demo a sq car also. Don't make the mistake i did. I worked at my "sq" system for a year. Then listened to some sq cars, and quickly realized my system was way off, and i had been doing things wrong the whole time.

My .02.

You seem motivated so you should be fine
Thank you, always like input. I'll probably still buy stuff just considering everything but my sub stage is stock, haha. I will definitely ask for a ton of help as far as tuning and installing goes since I'm a huge noob and not particularly talented. Haha. Thank you!

keep_hope_alive
01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
install is certainly key and requires a place to work (garage preferred), plenty of tools, decent fabrication skills, and lots of time. like 100 hours minimum for a good sounding system. at least, that's what i put in to cars that I build for SQ.

keep_hope_alive
01-02-2014, 08:09 PM
just be prepared to put the time in. recognize you are the system designer. you are buying raw components and having to implement their installation. you control the acoustical environment, the signal path, and the component type. recognize that a home audio speaker enclosure has hundreds of hours of R&D in it. you are doing that much work + the effort of designing an integrated receiver.

supereikenator
01-02-2014, 08:35 PM
just be prepared to put the time in. recognize you are the system designer. you are buying raw components and having to implement their installation. you control the acoustical environment, the signal path, and the component type. recognize that a home audio speaker enclosure has hundreds of hours of R&D in it. you are doing that much work + the effort of designing an integrated receiver.

If I have direction I'm willing to put in the time, eager actually. I regret paying for my past installs and I'm really excited to finish something and know that it, and how it sounds is a product of my hard work. I'm up for late nights, cuts, strain, etc, it sounds fun. I just need the direction and know how I think. Well, and money and equipment. Haha.

keep_hope_alive
01-02-2014, 11:27 PM
If I have direction I'm willing to put in the time, eager actually. I regret paying for my past installs and I'm really excited to finish something and know that it, and how it sounds is a product of my hard work. I'm up for late nights, cuts, strain, etc, it sounds fun. I just need the direction and know how I think. Well, and money and equipment. Haha.

getting direction is easy. look through the three build logs in my sig. that will give you a good idea.

supereikenator
02-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Alright. I think I've finally solidified my equipment choices, came across some incredible deals and just couldn't pass them up and that shifted my system ideas. So here's the choices as of now:
Old school RE 12.1, great deal from JL Audio on here.
A Memphis Mclass two channel for my front stage, got for $150 from the local shop!
Still doing the JBL MS-62C's for my components.
Not running a rear stage.
I think I've decided on a Fi Q 15 for my sub, ported at 32hz.
Going to deaden the whole car like crazy with Q-Mat from Soundqubed.
Also doing big-3, and the only thing I'm unsure of is what size battery or batteries to get. Have a yellow top up front, but that's it.

Side Show
02-11-2014, 02:27 AM
match your yellow top, higher the cca rating the better (make sure the batts are both identical)

keep_hope_alive
02-12-2014, 10:34 PM
ditto on matching batteries.

sounds like a good plan.

time to execute!

supereikenator
04-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Alright, between yesterday and a tad today I've managed to forget to take any pictures but I did install my front stage. :) Got Memphis MC 6.5 components instead of the JBLs, the local shop owner and I have become pretty good buds so I get some great deals now on what he sells, plus, he really knows his stuff, unlike most shops. I picked them up for $250 and now that they are installed and amped on the matching amp I couldn't be more pleased. They sound awesome, very full and crisp. Lots of midbass, but not overpowering at all, the tweets are very smooth and clear. They are running passive, but I set the decks crossover a bit to really make them shine. I also put about 1.5 sheets of Hushmat in the doors so that helps as well. The amp is mounted under the drivers seat and I can take some pictures if anyone cares to see how I did, haha. Not the best, but it was my first time.

supereikenator
04-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Oh also, plans have changed yet again, the shop owner I'm buddies with got me a new JL 12W6v3 for $275 in exchange for the amount of business I've brought him. I know it's mainstream, but I love the sound of the w6's that I've heard in other cars. I haven't decided on an amp yet, but that's going to be the sub. I'm really looking forward to not having to do all the extra electrical upgrades that I would running closer to 2,000 rms.