PDA

View Full Version : 2 18 - Box question

bgowdy31
12-29-2013, 09:56 PM
I know that in suv's most cases that subs up port back is the best way to build it. But in the event of someone having space issue how could a sub up port up enclosure be done? Also how well would it perform?

Thanks

akadj
12-29-2013, 10:37 PM
I did a guys car just two weeks ago with two Atomic APX 18's subs up/port up and it sounded just fine tuned to 35hz. Gonna toss it on the termlab in a week or so.

bgowdy31
12-29-2013, 10:44 PM
I did a guys car just two weeks ago with two Atomic APX 18's subs up/port up and it sounded just fine tuned to 35hz. Gonna toss it on the termlab in a week or so.

kew did you use aeroports or a slot port?

akadj
12-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Aero ports. Box is a little on the small side and he's only got four 4" ports.. 2 -18".. But the customer is always right and that's what he wanted.. Don't get me wrong it sounds great but he's only got two Audiopipe ap1500.1 running them so they are far from jumping and a lot of cone excursion but when he does go with bigger amps I told him he's gonna have port noise.

I'm gonna get a video in a week or so

Dimwit
12-29-2013, 10:54 PM
I hate to thread jack but how does sub and port firing at the back do? Or is firing sub up and port back always the best in an suv?

bgowdy31
12-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Aero ports. Box is a little on the small side and he's only got four 4" ports.. 2 -18".. But the customer is always right and that's what he wanted.. Don't get me wrong it sounds great but he's only got two Audiopipe ap1500.1 running them so they are far from jumping and a lot of cone excursion but when he does go with bigger amps I told him he's gonna have port noise.

I'm gonna get a video in a week or so

Nice ill be sure to check it out if you put on here. Im wanting to do Aero's because they are easier to tune, and if im not happy with the tuning i can always change them or cut them which ever way fixes it lol. But i would be doing 2 8" aero's or 1 10" aero depending on what i want to do when i start building. Im probably going to be looking at about 3k "nominal", and 2 Obsidian Audio 18v2s so this amount of power will do those nicely seeing they are only rated at 600rms per sub

bgowdy31
12-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Buck; figured i would mention you for your input lol

Buck
12-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Porting up works well if you have space constraints. Done it many times. Here's a Jeep video that we did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JWP6j98N_M

bgowdy31
12-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Porting up works well if you have space constraints. Done it many times. Here's a Jeep video that we did:

Speaking of... lol i just mentioned you in here.... Ill check the vid once i get off work. Well yea i have some space constraints. I do have mine box up to 10 cubes net now tho after all displacements. But i was reading and thinking what if i tried sub & port firing up. So i figured id try to get some input

bgowdy31
12-29-2013, 11:38 PM

that was a nice vid. Did yal metter that jeep at all?

bgowdy31
12-30-2013, 12:23 AM
anyone else?

Buck
12-30-2013, 12:16 PM
that was a nice vid. Did yal metter that jeep at all?

No, not in that vehicle and it wasn't firing up when he did.

bgowdy31
12-30-2013, 06:12 PM
No, not in that vehicle and it wasn't firing up when he did.

I see... I just wondering would it even be worth it as far as firing up the subs and port. I have 10 cubes net after displacement. and should be able to do that subs up port back or go subs and port up and have more space.

Buck
12-30-2013, 07:01 PM
I would go for more box space if it was me. I plan on doing 4 18's no wall, probably going to have port up at the back of the vehicle. Try not to fire directly at the hatch. It's having a hard time.

bgowdy31
12-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I would go for more box space if it was me. I plan on doing 4 18's no wall, probably going to have port up at the back of the vehicle. Try not to fire directly at the hatch. It's having a hard time.

so your meaning fire the the port up as far back in the blazer as I can with out it directly firing on the hatch?

winkychevelle
12-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Main problem with both facing up is there is no reflecting wall.

we did a box a while back for 4 15s. The guy wanted a solid shelf over the box so we laid a board over the top at like a 15 angle and basically created a 6th order bandpass but in simpler terms we added a loading wall before redesigning the box

Buck
12-30-2013, 07:31 PM
so your meaning fire the the port up as far back in the blazer as I can with out it directly firing on the hatch?

Like this:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj589/buckboxdesigns/High%20Output%20Enclosures/gilbertkless99blazer2custom3hp15sportedxray_zps230 ae22a.png (http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/buckboxdesigns/media/High%20Output%20Enclosures/gilbertkless99blazer2custom3hp15sportedxray_zps230 ae22a.png.html)

bgowdy31
12-30-2013, 07:32 PM

we did a box a while back for 4 15s. The guy wanted a solid shelf over the box so we laid a board over the top at like a 15 angle and basically created a 6th order bandpass but in simpler terms we added a loading wall before redesigning the box

so how do people make them work with out adding that on to it

Buck
12-30-2013, 07:35 PM

It depends on the woofers, the tuning, port area, height of the box. Most SUV's hatches comes in over the port if it's all the way back, and you will get some loading from that, not as much as firing rear. That's where port area and tuning play a big part.

bgowdy31
12-30-2013, 08:07 PM
It depends on the woofers, the tuning, port area, height of the box. Most SUV's hatches comes in over the port if it's all the way back, and you will get some loading from that, not as much as firing rear. That's where port area and tuning play a big part.

the more you say the more it almost sounds like sub up port back lol... but anyway I think I see what you mean from that box design. but im going to use aeroports and the

winkychevelle
12-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Screw it get some 24inch passives built up

T3mpest
12-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Screw it get some 24inch passives built up

Not sure if anyone makes those anymore. I believe Exodus audio did for a short while, or it was in the plans and never happened, IDK. Since he's only running OA18's he "may" be able to get by with 2 18inch passives. Most passives won't have double the throw of the woofer, closer to 75% more. He could get by with 3 though if he side fires one. I have a setup like this right now and it has NO loading issues whatsoever, it's actually too loud at tuning if anything. I have 2 facing rear and one on the passenger side.. You def have to get the box secured to the vehicle though. I had a box that's a sheet and half of mdf with a 60lb sub on top and it still moves around the car when the bass hits.. Tuned at 30hz does really well down to 20hz.

Anyway as buck said, if your going to do port up I'd run it along the back so it's still getting as much loading as possible off the rear.

bgowdy31
12-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Not sure if anyone makes those anymore. I believe Exodus audio did for a short while, or it was in the plans and never happened, IDK. Since he's only running OA18's he "may" be able to get by with 2 18inch passives. Most passives won't have double the throw of the woofer, closer to 75% more. He could get by with 3 though if he side fires one. I have a setup like this right now and it has NO loading issues whatsoever, it's actually too loud at tuning if anything. I have 2 facing rear and one on the passenger side.. You def have to get the box secured to the vehicle though. I had a box that's a sheet and half of mdf with a 60lb sub on top and it still moves around the car when the bass hits.. Tuned at 30hz does really well down to 20hz.

Anyway as buck said, if your going to do port up I'd run it along the back so it's still getting as much loading as possible off the rear.

yea i get what he means. but it confused me because he said not to have it load off the hatch? That part i didnt understand. Buck;

bgowdy31
12-31-2013, 04:25 PM
dbeez; figured id get your opinion as well

winkychevelle
12-31-2013, 05:32 PM
so how do people make them work with out adding that on to it

I never said it wouldnt work without it I was just giving u an idea so that if you box doesnt perform you would have something to try for the cheap.

As far as the 24 inch passives I was generally thinking to contact psi, splaudio, or tantric and have them built from eother the 24inch frame tantric uses or the 21inch from incriminator uses. Both would be expensive as hell though

bgowdy31
12-31-2013, 05:35 PM
I never said it wouldnt work without it I was just giving u an idea so that if you box doesnt perform you would have something to try for the cheap.

As far as the 24 inch passives I was generally thinking to contact psi, splaudio, or tantric and have them built from eother the 24inch frame tantric uses or the 21inch from incriminator uses. Both would be expensive as hell though

im really not trying to get in to passive radiotors honestly. i wouldnt know were to start

bgowdy31
12-31-2013, 11:32 PM
bump

bgowdy31
01-02-2014, 04:07 PM
ttt

bgowdy31
01-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Ttt