PDA

View Full Version : help me find/piece together a budget 3-way component set

adjetta
12-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Okay so I am buying a SoundQubed Q4-120Wx4 Four Channel Amp

Q4-120 (http://www.soundqubed.com/Q4-120_p_150.html)

4 ohm power @ 14V 120Wx4
2 ohm power @ 14V 170Wx4

I will be running all four doors with 3 way component sets, but I need help building or choosing the equipment, I can't spend any more than 350 dollars on the comp set ups, I do have deadener and mdf rings in my budget however.

I was looking at the crescendo midbass drivers, the price seemed to good for them to be any good, but who knows, soundqubed also has a midbass driver that looks apealing

I want something capable of crisp clean highs, without being overly bright, and I want clean thumping midbass, and a deep velvety midrange that could saronaid even the blackest of souls

I will be doing the installs proper on the midbass, but Its gonna be a new ordeal with the midranges and highs, I've never done pillars, so considering I get my stuff together the install won't be an issue

I like the RE XXX Comps, but I heard the tweeters blow as much as their CS

mr_naler
12-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Have you checked out the Precision Power PC3.65c? That set has a really nice midrange and tweeter, and is pretty cheap($260). The only thing lacking is the midbass driver. I've heard anything below ~100Hz is pretty lacking.

trumpet
12-29-2013, 03:16 PM
I believe the Precision Power 3-way set is discontinued, so it may be hard to find. I think my distributor had 2 sets in stock last time I sold one, but it may be down to 1 or 0 now. I can do CDT 3-way sets starting at $399. These are customizable, meaning I can change out any of the drivers for something sold separately at a similar price(6.5 midbass instead of 6.5 midrange, for example).

For driver placement, I do not recommend on-axis A-pillar pods. They're nice to look at, and yes, the imaging is up high, but you introduce an unnecessary amount of reflections. I could recommend alternate locations if you tell me what vehicle these are going into.

Also, 3-way in the rear is massive overkill. At most I would do a 2-way set, or even coaxials if the speakers aren't buried down low with sound blocked by the seat backs.

adjetta
12-29-2013, 05:08 PM
I believe the Precision Power 3-way set is discontinued, so it may be hard to find. I think my distributor had 2 sets in stock last time I sold one, but it may be down to 1 or 0 now. I can do CDT 3-way sets starting at $399. These are customizable, meaning I can change out any of the drivers for something sold separately at a similar price(6.5 midbass instead of 6.5 midrange, for example).

For driver placement, I do not recommend on-axis A-pillar pods. They're nice to look at, and yes, the imaging is up high, but you introduce an unnecessary amount of reflections. I could recommend alternate locations if you tell me what vehicle these are going into.

Also, 3-way in the rear is massive overkill. At most I would do a 2-way set, or even coaxials if the speakers aren't buried down low with sound blocked by the seat backs.

idk for the money maybe I'm better with two basic sets of comps, and a cheaper 2 channel amp to run an independent midrange driver

trumpet
12-29-2013, 05:17 PM
idk for the money maybe I'm better with two basic sets of comps, and a cheaper 2 channel amp to run an independent midrange driver

What do you actually want from the upgrades? You can run a 3-way in the front from 2 channels or 4 channels using my CDT components. You would need to put the mids and tweeters close together as they will be on the passive crossovers, and the woofers can be run on their own amplifier channels. Great results from a 3-way set depend on the overall plan, which includes speaker placement. I can advise you on that if you want the help.