PDA

View Full Version : Bolts for terminals and how to wire for switching ohms

AndrewHD
12-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Hey guys, how do you use bolts for switching the ohm load on the outside of the box? How many do I need to use if I am using 2 subs in a shared chamber? If anyone has pics on how to do this that would help a lot.

HomeGrown
12-20-2013, 05:54 PM
8 coils = 8 bolts

or you could just do 4 and double up the wires

thatguy12
12-20-2013, 05:58 PM
for each terminal on the sub (usually two pos and two neg) run a wire from the sub to a bolt that's through the box. then wire the configuration you want from the outside of the box using the bolts.
using bolts for subwoofer terminals - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=using+bolts+for+subwoofer+terminals&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Fcu0UrMQ443KAYqVgagC&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=567)

AndrewHD
12-20-2013, 06:09 PM
They are two Sundown SA 12's 4ohmDVC by the way. I would really like to only have 4 bolts. Just wondering how I could switch it from 4 ohms to 1 ohms. Still a little confused on the wiring. Can I just use jumpers from one bolt to the other? Sorry guys

AndrewHD
12-20-2013, 08:47 PM
anyone?

bbeljefe
12-20-2013, 11:16 PM
You'll need 4 bolts. Wire each set of coils in parallel to each set of bolts. Then, run jumpers from negative to negative and positive to positive for 1Ω and run a jumper from one negative to the other positive for 4Ω.

AndrewHD
12-21-2013, 12:15 AM
You'll need 4 bolts. Wire each set of coils in parallel to each set of bolts. Then, run jumpers from negative to negative and positive to positive for 1Ω and run a jumper from one negative to the other positive for 4Ω.

Thanks, this is making more sense now. So I wire both subs in parallel on the inside of the box, correct? And then if I want 4 ohms I use only one jumper wire to connect a positive and a negative on the outside of the box? 1 ohm is pretty self explanatory just confused on the 4 ohms so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again

bbeljefe
12-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Thanks, this is making more sense now. So I wire both subs in parallel on the inside of the box, correct? And then if I want 4 ohms I use only one jumper wire to connect a positive and a negative on the outside of the box? 1 ohm is pretty self explanatory just confused on the 4 ohms so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again

Nope, that's correct.

AndrewHD
12-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Nope, that's correct.

Thanks for a speedy reply I'll get started tomorrow. end/thread