PDA

View Full Version : PPI 6.5" sedona series

bmk6795
12-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Are these any good? Looking for a small front stage for my girl's car, I think it has the stock 93 Civic speakers. If so just about anything will be an upgrade. I was looking for some budget 6.5s and came across these PPIs and they were pretty cheap. I know PPI makes some pretty decent equipment, but are these decent as well?

trumpet ; You know anything about these?

Amazon.com: S2.65C - Precision Power 6.5" Sedona Series 2-Way Component Speakers: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/S2-65C-Precision-Sedona-Component-Speakers/dp/B00EA48H20/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387329997&sr=8-2&keywords=6.5+component+speakers+precision+power)

trumpet
12-18-2013, 12:12 AM
We've got a set of the PH2.65C components and they're decent for the money. They're twice the price of those Sedona components. Personally, I would spend more than $50 on component speakers for a significant other. Those speakers might be OK, but that's kind of like buying clothes at Walmart. Sure, they'll get the job done, but you can do better, and she'll probably tell the difference.

Jimmy Rustler
12-18-2013, 12:55 AM
We've got a set of the PH2.65C components and they're decent for the money. They're twice the price of those Sedona components. Personally, I would spend more than $50 on component speakers for a significant other. Those speakers might be OK, but that's kind of like buying clothes at Walmart. Sure, they'll get the job done, but you can do better, and she'll probably tell the difference.

I am fairly certain any upgrade from stock speakers will greatly improve the sound. My wife can't tell the difference between $20 walmart computer speakers and $300 bookshelf speakers off a Marantz receiver. Well, she likely can but the law of diminishing marginal returns is in play. Once you reach a listenable threshold, the average person is satisfied enough with mediocre speakers. I have heard them (but not used them in an install myself) and they are decent, as in, they sound like $50 component speakers. I would recommend spending $10 more for the Cadence CWM6KIT if you are going to amp them though, unless you have very little power on tap.

Jeffdachef
12-18-2013, 01:02 AM
I am fairly certain any upgrade from stock speakers will greatly improve the sound. My wife can't tell the difference between $20 walmart computer speakers and $300 bookshelf speakers off a Marantz receiver. Well, she likely can but the law of diminishing marginal returns is in play. Once you reach a listenable threshold, the average person is satisfied enough with mediocre speakers. I have heard them (but not used them in an install myself) and they are decent, as in, they sound like $50 component speakers. I would recommend spending $10 more for the Cadence CWM6KIT if you are going to amp them though, unless you have very little power on tap.

Thats not true all the times, most luxury edition of basic cars have upgraded bose/jbl/harmon kardon sound systems that is miles better then walmart grade/tier speakers and most of the times, aftermarkets need a lot more power, sealing, sound deading/door treatment to really do their job or else your midbass and vocals will be horribly lackluster and you'll sound like a cheap beaner/ricer on the road with nothing but screeching highs. You are right in Recommending higher tier speakers though, most sub 50 dollar pairs sound like garbage in the SQ department.

Jimmy Rustler
12-18-2013, 01:17 AM
He mentioned it was a 93 civic, that's a 20 year old car. I doubt 20 year old stock speakers are winning any Sound Quality competitions.