PDA

View Full Version : combo box

cotton66
12-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Looks like I'm going to build a box for the back of my hhr. It will house 2 12" speakers. If I built one side sealed and one side ported would I be able to run both off a mono amp. I have read the sealed speaker takes more power because of the increased resistance. I'm wondering if I hooked both to the same amp I would get uneven load and cause damage.

Thanks for any input inadvance.

bbeljefe
12-16-2013, 07:28 PM
What do you expect to accomplish with this combination?

cotton66
12-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Benefits of both types of boxes. I like the low hitting bass for hip hop and crisper bass in country and rock.

bbeljefe
12-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Benefits of both types of boxes. I like the low hitting bass for hip hop and crisper bass in country and rock.

I understand that but the bottom line is that it won't happen. If you run a sealed box alongside a ported box, any perceived benefit you get from the sealed alignment will be drowned out by the higher acoustical output of the ported enclosure.

The thing to do is to design and build a proper ported enclosure for both subs. That way, you get tight response, lows and the inherent acoustical gain of a ported enclosure.

The only benefit to sealed boxes is group delay and that can be overcome by doing some due diligence in your selection of subs and the design and construction of your box.

Side Show
12-16-2013, 07:39 PM
this idea would make both types of music that you listen too sound worse..... get a custom ported box made, and tell the builder that you listen to country and rap ect....